Need guidance about maintenance/ eating above it

Options
So i am used to eating too little food. I am now working on setting up a food plan, so i can make sure i eat enough everyday.

But i am a bit confused. I know i need to eat above maintenance to gain weight. so i added 500 to my 2300 daily calorie need.

But should i eat above maintenance everyday? And also eat more then that the days i workout?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    depends what method you used to get to that number? TDEE or MFP?
  • arfuss
    arfuss Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i did my body weight 74kg and then 74x32.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    arfuss wrote: »

why bodyweight x 32? where does 32 come from!?
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

why bodyweight x 32? where does 32 come from!?

54671193.jpg
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Ok jokes aside, OP, use this to calculate roughly what your calorie intake should be:

scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • rgrz82
    rgrz82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll want to eat above maintenance everyday. Give your body a week or so to adapt to the increase in calories, then weigh yourself. Use that weight as your starting point and weigh yourself one week later to see if you've gained any weight.
  • arfuss
    arfuss Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So i should always eat above maintenance? So everyday i eat about maintenance, and i also eat a little more the days i workout?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    So i should always eat above maintenance? So everyday i eat about maintenance, and i also eat a little more the days i workout?

Still depends which method you're using to calculate your calorie goal.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    rgrz82 wrote: »
    Yes, you'll want to eat above maintenance everyday. Give your body a week or so to adapt to the increase in calories, then weigh yourself. Use that weight as your starting point and weigh yourself one week later to see if you've gained any weight.

I agree - but you should also determine how you "feel" and how your clothes fit. Ive been sloooowly adding muscle while keeping fat gains to a minimum(hopefully) by going slightly over maintainance calories. Every so often, throw on a pair of jeans or whatever that you are familiar with and feel how they fit. Do they seem more snug in the waist area? Do you have to loosen your belt? Is the belt at the same loop as previously? These questions & their answers will help you, IMO.
  • PShizle
    PShizle Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Arfus - I'd suggest going over maintenance by about 250 calories a day. You can gross that up 100-150 on days you work out with iron/cardio (400). Also, instead of something subjective as "feeling" your clothes, I recommend weighing yourself weekly and measuring your body every two weeks for changes. You don't want to just jump up in weight, but you're looking for a controlled weight gain. Finally, remember that men on average will only put on about 5-7 lbs a muscle a year (unless you're illegally supplementing).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are your goals OP?