Too little, and too much Calories

Options
my diet usually consist of the same meals day after day, but the amount differs. 1,650 is my goal, sometimes I'm close, sometimes I'm not. Example sometime close to 2000, and sometimes I'm lucky to hit 500. Is this healthy? I read I need at least 1500, but sometimes I really can because I'm simply not hungry and full. I only went past my calorie limit twice because I kinda fell back to my old habits for a day or two, but I'm back now!
Is it fine to do what I'm doing? Eating a few small meals that average around 500? It seems to be working because I feel great, I look great, and I'm losing weight! I just want to do this the right and healthy way. Any suggestions or comments that could help would be awesome, thank you!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What are you eating in a day where you are only having 500 calories and getting full?
  • TheBriMan316
    TheBriMan316 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Usually some fruit in the morning, and some lean chicken breast with veggies for dinner. I just usually snack on fruits around lunch
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Usually some fruit in the morning, and some lean chicken breast with veggies for dinner. I just usually snack on fruits around lunch

Are you weighing the fruits, chicken, and vegetables? I'm trying to picture a filling 500 calories of those items and having some difficulty.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    my diet usually consist of the same meals day after day, but the amount differs. 1,650 is my goal, sometimes I'm close, sometimes I'm not. Example sometime close to 2000, and sometimes I'm lucky to hit 500. Is this healthy? I read I need at least 1500, but sometimes I really can because I'm simply not hungry and full. I only went past my calorie limit twice because I kinda fell back to my old habits for a day or two, but I'm back now!
    Is it fine to do what I'm doing? Eating a few small meals that average around 500? It seems to be working because I feel great, I look great, and I'm losing weight! I just want to do this the right and healthy way. Any suggestions or comments that could help would be awesome, thank you!

Well there is a technique called intermittent fasting, not my cuppa tea but maybe yours.

I tend to look at kcal counts over a week for nutritional value, so I wouldn't worry so long as I was getting enough calories in per week.
  • TheBriMan316
    Options
    I do weigh and measure all of my foods. I eat in very small amounts. Like yesterday I ate 350cal, banana in the morning, chicken in the evening, and a banana before I went to sleep.
  • TheBriMan316
    Options
    Intermittent fasting isn't really what I want to do. I want the most healthiest way possible to lose weight
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure all of my foods. I eat in very small amounts. Like yesterday I ate 350cal, banana in the morning, chicken in the evening, and a banana before I went to sleep.

How did you gain weight if you're 'full' eating 2 bananas and some chicken?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Well there is a technique called intermittent fasting, not my cuppa tea but maybe yours.

I tend to look at kcal counts over a week for nutritional value, so I wouldn't worry so long as I was getting enough calories in per week.

I think there is a difference between approaching the week in a structured way to have some days where you set lower calories but put in the attention to nutrition it needs as opposed to just eating some stuff and ending up at 500 which is what it appears the OP is doing. I could easily structure a week or 2 where I can eat 1200 or 1300 calories and focus on getting in my nutrients and supplements which would be different that some random male saying they are losing weight on 1200, aren't hungry anymore and they are fine. I'm not advocating a male eating 1200 calories but the details are important.

Good for you.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

There has to be a middle ground between eating as per your “old habits” and this new style of eating around 500 calories a day. I don’t see how you’d be full and satisfied on 500 calories if your normal eating style is around 2000 cals.

If you want to do this in a healthy way, I’d make sure you’re getting enough nutrition (protein, fats) and energy (calories) to lose weight at a moderate and safe pace: depending on how much you need to lose, this is anywhere between .5lb-2lb per week. For me, the weight loss process is about building new habits that I will carry over after I’ve reached my goal weight, so if I were in your place I would simply learn to eat a good amount of food, but with the requisite restriction to lose weight. You don’t have to overcorrect and under-eat so severely.
  • TheBriMan316
    Options
    I'm not gaining no weight, I'm losing weight

I'm not gaining weight, I'm losing weight.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

But at some point you gained more weight than you wanted to and you are now trying to lose weight, correct?

It's hard to reconcile that with 500 calories filling you up so much you can't eat more.
  • TheBriMan316
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

There has to be a middle ground between eating as per your “old habits” and this new style of eating around 500 calories a day. I don’t see how you’d be full and satisfied on 500 calories if your normal eating style is around 2000 cals.

If you want to do this in a healthy way, I’d make sure you’re getting enough nutrition (protein, fats) and energy (calories) to lose weight at a moderate and safe pace: depending on how much you need to lose, this is anywhere between .5lb-2lb per week. For me, the weight loss process is about building new habits that I will carry over after I’ve reached my goal weight, so if I were in your place I would simply learn to eat a good amount of food, but with the requisite restriction to lose weight. You don’t have to overcorrect and under-eat so severely.

I seem to be losing around 5lbs a week, but as long as I lose it and live a healthy lifestyle than I'll be fine. I honestly do feel satisfied, but I get a little hunger around lunch so I just grab some fruits and that usually helps
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I seem to be losing around 5lbs a week, but as long as I lose it and live a healthy lifestyle than I'll be fine. I honestly do feel satisfied, but I get a little hunger around lunch so I just grab some fruits and that usually helps

I don't know how much you currently weigh, but five pounds a week is a LOT. If you're losing weight on a very low calorie diet, you run the risk of losing much more muscle than fat.

Why are you limiting yourself to fruit, chicken, and vegetables?
  • TheBriMan316
    Options

But at some point you gained more weight than you wanted to and you are now trying to lose weight, correct?

It's hard to reconcile that with 500 calories filling you up so much you can't eat more.

Before I started dieting I ate a lot of junk foods and highly processed foods, I really just ate what I wanted, when I wanted so I gained a lot of weight.
    Now after about a month of this diet I just seem to eat less. I'm Not exactly "stuffed" and I could probably eat more, but I'm not really hungry.
  • TheBriMan316
    Options

I don't know how much you currently weigh, but five pounds a week is a LOT. If you're losing weight on a very low calorie diet, you run the risk of losing much more muscle than fat.

Mostly just chicken, but other meats as well. Sometimes I'll eat some almonds and a peanut butter on whole wheat(rarely). I started at 240lbs, now I'm just under 220lbs. And I definitely do want to lose muscle, actually that's my main goal over all is to build muscle.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Mostly just chicken, but other meats as well. Sometimes I'll eat some almonds and a peanut butter on whole wheat(rarely). I started at 240lbs, now I'm just under 220lbs. And I definitely do want to lose muscle, actually that's my main goal over all is to build muscle.

If you want to build muscle, you should make it a priority to eat enough food each day. If you are eating at a huge deficit, you will lose much more muscle.