• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    maybe like, go to the doctor
  • TheBriMan316
    TheBriMan316 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    my diet usually consist of the same meals day after day, but the amount differs. 1,650 is my goal, sometimes I'm close, sometimes I'm not. Example sometime close to 2000, and sometimes I'm lucky to hit 500. Is this healthy? I read I need at least 1500, but sometimes I really can because I'm simply not hungry and full. I only went past my calorie limit twice because I kinda fell back to my old habits for a day or two, but I'm back now!
    Is it fine to do what I'm doing? Eating a few small meals that average around 500? It seems to be working because I feel great, I look great, and I'm losing weight! I just want to do this the right and healthy way. Any suggestions or comments that could help would be awesome, thank you!

There has to be a middle ground between eating as per your “old habits” and this new style of eating around 500 calories a day. I don’t see how you’d be full and satisfied on 500 calories if your normal eating style is around 2000 cals.

If you want to do this in a healthy way, I’d make sure you’re getting enough nutrition (protein, fats) and energy (calories) to lose weight at a moderate and safe pace: depending on how much you need to lose, this is anywhere between .5lb-2lb per week. For me, the weight loss process is about building new habits that I will carry over after I’ve reached my goal weight, so if I were in your place I would simply learn to eat a good amount of food, but with the requisite restriction to lose weight. You don’t have to overcorrect and under-eat so severely.

I seem to be losing around 5lbs a week, but as long as I lose it and live a healthy lifestyle than I'll be fine. I honestly do feel satisfied, but I get a little hunger around lunch so I just grab some fruits and that usually helps

I don't know how much you currently weigh, but five pounds a week is a LOT. If you're losing weight on a very low calorie diet, you run the risk of losing much more muscle than fat.

Why are you limiting yourself to fruit, chicken, and vegetables?

Mostly just chicken, but other meats as well. Sometimes I'll eat some almonds and a peanut butter on whole wheat(rarely). I started at 240lbs, now I'm just under 220lbs. And I definitely do want to lose muscle, actually that's my main goal over all is to build muscle.

If you want to build muscle, you should make it a priority to eat enough food each day. If you are eating at a huge deficit, you will lose much more muscle.

How much sould I eat to build more muscle, or at least until I lose weight? Just add more protein?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    my diet usually consist of the same meals day after day, but the amount differs. 1,650 is my goal, sometimes I'm close, sometimes I'm not. Example sometime close to 2000, and sometimes I'm lucky to hit 500. Is this healthy? I read I need at least 1500, but sometimes I really can because I'm simply not hungry and full. I only went past my calorie limit twice because I kinda fell back to my old habits for a day or two, but I'm back now!
    Is it fine to do what I'm doing? Eating a few small meals that average around 500? It seems to be working because I feel great, I look great, and I'm losing weight! I just want to do this the right and healthy way. Any suggestions or comments that could help would be awesome, thank you!

There has to be a middle ground between eating as per your “old habits” and this new style of eating around 500 calories a day. I don’t see how you’d be full and satisfied on 500 calories if your normal eating style is around 2000 cals.

If you want to do this in a healthy way, I’d make sure you’re getting enough nutrition (protein, fats) and energy (calories) to lose weight at a moderate and safe pace: depending on how much you need to lose, this is anywhere between .5lb-2lb per week. For me, the weight loss process is about building new habits that I will carry over after I’ve reached my goal weight, so if I were in your place I would simply learn to eat a good amount of food, but with the requisite restriction to lose weight. You don’t have to overcorrect and under-eat so severely.

I seem to be losing around 5lbs a week, but as long as I lose it and live a healthy lifestyle than I'll be fine. I honestly do feel satisfied, but I get a little hunger around lunch so I just grab some fruits and that usually helps

I don't know how much you currently weigh, but five pounds a week is a LOT. If you're losing weight on a very low calorie diet, you run the risk of losing much more muscle than fat.

Mostly just chicken, but other meats as well. Sometimes I'll eat some almonds and a peanut butter on whole wheat(rarely). I started at 240lbs, now I'm just under 220lbs. And I definitely do want to lose muscle, actually that's my main goal over all is to build muscle.

If you want to build muscle, you should make it a priority to eat enough food each day. If you are eating at a huge deficit, you will lose much more muscle.

How much sould I eat to build more muscle, or at least until I lose weight? Just add more protein?

Building muscle requires more calories than you burn. Losing weight requires fewer calories than you burn. What calorie goal did MFP recommend for you?
  • TheBriMan316
    Options

Building muscle requires more calories than you burn. Losing weight requires fewer calories than you burn. What calorie goal did MFP recommend for you?

1620cals

• TheBriMan316
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    This can't be real.

What can't be real? I'm not asking you to believe me lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

1620cals

To lose 2lb per week? How tall are you? What's your goal weight?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

1620cals

And how many pounds a week did you enter as your goal for weight loss?
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Another 'I'll give a scenario; request advice and when I get great help and assistance I'll get all defensive and refuse the help' post.

Why do peeps do this?
  • TheBriMan316
    Options

1620cals

Yes, my goal is to lose 2lbs a week. I'm around 5/9, and my weight goal is probably around 200 even. But when I get there I'm going to try to gain more muscle mass.

• TheBriMan316
    Options
    Another 'I'll give a scenario; request advice and when I get great help and assistance I'll get all defensive and refuse the help' post.

Why do peeps do this?

I'm not gonna get defensive lol. I know I have a problem and I'll take any help I can get.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

1620cals

Yes, my goal is to lose 2lbs a week. I'm around 5/9, and my weight goal is probably around 200 even. But when I get there I'm going to try to gain more muscle mass.

With 20lbs to lose, set MFP to lose 1lb per week. You don't need a massive deficit especially if you're wanting to retain as much LBM as possible.

You might also want to look at your relationship with food, you'll struggle with a bulk if you've told yourself you're 'full' on 500 cals per day.
  • TheBriMan316
    Options

1620cals

With 20lbs to lose, set MFP to lose 1lb per week. You don't need a massive deficit especially if you're wanting to retain as much LBM as possible.

You might also want to look at your relationship with food, you'll struggle with a bulk if you've told yourself you're 'full' on 500 cals per day.

I'll definitely change it to 1lb a week. I should probably change my activity level also because I'm pretty active no, idk If that'll do anything or not.

You're probably right, I like to think I'm full when I'm probably not.

I'll just eat more meals regardless and see if that helps. Thank you!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

1620cals

I'll definitely change it to 1lb a week. I should probably change my activity level also because I'm pretty active no, idk If that'll do anything or not.

You're probably right, I like to think I'm full when I'm probably not.

I'll just eat more meals regardless and see if that helps. Thank you!

Peanut butter is your friend for calories without volume. And full fat dairy.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    *kitten* A right peanut butter
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure all of my foods. I eat in very small amounts. Like yesterday I ate 350cal, banana in the morning, chicken in the evening, and a banana before I went to sleep.

just plain chicken - boring & dry.

Could you have an ED issue?
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

If your goal is to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, two bananas and a piece of chicken is not a step in the right direction.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're receptive to feedback. You really need to eat more. When you lose weight, some of that weight is muscle, not just fat. The bigger the deficit you're creating, especially if you're not eating enough protein to maintain your muscle, the more muscle mass you'll lose. I would recommend hitting your minimum caloric intake with a balanced diet that includes some of the foods you love but seem to have cut out, and maybe also do some resistance training like weight lifting. Strong lifts and Starting Strength are two excellent barbell lifting programs.