Calorie intake for weight loss.

Options
Hey guys, been on here before talking about weight loss and calorie intake. Every time I use a different BMR calculator I end up getting several different numbers. Anyways looking for a reliable one, or one you guys might've seen reliable results with by using. I'm 6"5, 212. Roughly 16-18% body fat probably. (Never actually got it done professionally or anything so I'm not Positive on that.) I workout usually 6 days a week for a solid hour or so going pretty hard. Take a day off, but usually find myself doing cardio or something on that day. I'm a division 1 basketball player, currently been injured with a stress fracture in my shin for about 12 weeks. Finally got cleared and getting back into cardio workouts on the court. Eating 2800 calories usually. Might bump up to 3,000 on a big lift day just simply because I find myself more hungry on those days due to the big lift. Proteins usually sit around 260ish grams or so. Carbs usually around 280. And fats about 100g. Thoughts? (No need for negative comments, just looking for a little extra input.)

cabtje36ppzb.jpg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Use MFP numbers, set to lose 0.5lb per week, eat back a portion of exercise cals. Tweak after 4 weeks based on what the scale does in that time.

Also, that's a LOT of protein, you don't really need that much.
  • coltonweisbrod
    coltonweisbrod Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Use MFP numbers, set to lose 0.5lb per week, eat back a portion of exercise cals. Tweak after 4 weeks based on what the scale does in that time.

Gotta keep that muscle on!!! Lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Still don't need that much though...
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options

Still don't need that much though...

I've done it with lower protein percentages and found myself a lot more hungry. That's just my experience though
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, been on here before talking about weight loss and calorie intake. Every time I use a different BMR calculator I end up getting several different numbers. Anyways looking for a reliable one, or one you guys might've seen reliable results with by using. I'm 6"5, 212. Roughly 16-18% body fat probably. (Never actually got it done professionally or anything so I'm not Positive on that.) I workout usually 6 days a week for a solid hour or so going pretty hard. Take a day off, but usually find myself doing cardio or something on that day. I'm a division 1 basketball player, currently been injured with a stress fracture in my shin for about 12 weeks. Finally got cleared and getting back into cardio workouts on the court. Eating 2800 calories usually. Might bump up to 3,000 on a big lift day just simply because I find myself more hungry on those days due to the big lift. Proteins usually sit around 260ish grams or so. Carbs usually around 280. And fats about 100g. Thoughts? (No need for negative comments, just looking for a little extra input.)

cabtje36ppzb.jpg

If the goal is fat loss and if you're doing this without pharmacological assistance *ahem* then I'd keep your rate of weight loss somewhere in the neighborhood of .5 to 1% per week and you can adjust total calorie intake according to rate of loss. I SUSPECT that you'd get away with 3k or so given your size and how active you are but at any rate just pay attention to your results and modify intake accordingly.

Regarding your calorie and macronutrient intake, nothing looks out of place but I agree that you don't need that much protein. Even 1g/lb bodyweight puts you at 212g which should still be plenty assuming you are remaining in the range of weight loss I cited above.

Now, it's not necessarily bad if you enjoy eating higher protein, but you may find that you enjoy the extra carbohydrate more.

The macros you listed add up to just over 3k calories but I realize you're estimating.

If you were a client I'd start you around the following and then I'd examine rate of loss, personal preference, and gym performance and combine those factors in making calorie and/or macronutrient adjustments from this point:

3000 kcals
    210 protein
    90 fat
    340 carbs

But having said all of this, this doesn't mean your current approach will not work. If you're eating enough carbs to perform well, and you are satiated, and you're losing at a reasonable rate, have at it.
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

cabtje36ppzb.jpg

If the goal is fat loss and if you're doing this without pharmacological assistance *ahem* then I'd keep your rate of weight loss somewhere in the neighborhood of .5 to 1% per week and you can adjust total calorie intake according to rate of loss. I SUSPECT that you'd get away with 3k or so given your size and how active you are but at any rate just pay attention to your results and modify intake accordingly.

Regarding your calorie and macronutrient intake, nothing looks out of place but I agree that you don't need that much protein. Even 1g/lb bodyweight puts you at 212g which should still be plenty assuming you are remaining in the range of weight loss I cited above.

Now, it's not necessarily bad if you enjoy eating higher protein, but you may find that you enjoy the extra carbohydrate more.

The macros you listed add up to just over 3k calories but I realize you're estimating.

If you were a client I'd start you around the following and then I'd examine rate of loss, personal preference, and gym performance and combine those factors in making calorie and/or macronutrient adjustments from this point:

3000 kcals
    210 protein
    90 fat
    340 carbs

But having said all of this, this doesn't mean your current approach will not work. If you're eating enough carbs to perform well, and you are satiated, and you're losing at a reasonable rate, have at it.

Well I appreciate the input! Yeah definitely though some days I find myself craving some extra carbs, or find myself needing to restrict a couple carbs in some Meals because I use them up pretty easily. So I may take that approach and lower my proteins to around 1 g per pound. Then up my carbs a little. I do love me some sweet potatoes lol. Thank you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

cabtje36ppzb.jpg

3000 kcals
    210 protein
    90 fat
    340 carbs

Well I appreciate the input! Yeah definitely though some days I find myself craving some extra carbs, or find myself needing to restrict a couple carbs in some Meals because I use them up pretty easily. So I may take that approach and lower my proteins to around 1 g per pound. Then up my carbs a little. I do love me some sweet potatoes lol. Thank you!

If you still have satiety issues take a look at individual food choices. Just for example most people get WAY more satiety out of chicken breast vs whey protein. That's not to say whey is bad (I use it, many people do) but if push comes to shove and you need to blunt hunger, typically whole food will win out.

• coltonweisbrod
    Options

cabtje36ppzb.jpg

3000 kcals
    210 protein
    90 fat
    340 carbs

If you still have satiety issues take a look at individual food choices. Just for example most people get WAY more satiety out of chicken breast vs whey protein. That's not to say whey is bad (I use it, many people do) but if push comes to shove and you need to blunt hunger, typically whole food will win out.

I usually maybe drink one protein shake a day if I run out of chicken or the protein I have cooked for that day. I try to stick to that actual whole foods for the most part.