Am I becoming an over weight anorexic?

I didn't eat any sweets for 6 consecutive days except for fruit. I succumbed to temptation today and not only ate 6 slices of fresh pineapple (which was absolutely heavenly) but I also at a Reese's Klondike bar, a Heath Klondike bar and 3 serving of chocolate animal crackers after eating a whole chicken quarter. Needlesstosay, by 2:30pm, I was over my calories by about 1,400 so I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 3 hours and now I have about 500 spare calories because I burned off 1937 at the gym. Am I becoming an over weight anorexic? Please provide your honest feedback. After the 2nd Klondike bar, I wasn't even hungry but I had to try it. What the hell is wrong with me?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2015
    No, it sounds like you had a binge because you restricted yourself unnecessarily then decided to exercise for punishment. 1937 calories sounds like a lot for 3 hours walking.... I wouldn't be taking a machine reading as gospel.

Eat food you like in moderation to fit your goals. Sugar is not evil

Do exercise you enjoy, not as punishment. I've never trained so I could eat. I eat to train... Completely different mindset!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I didn't eat any sweets for 6 consecutive days except for fruit. I succumbed to temptation today and not only ate 6 slices of fresh pineapple (which was absolutely heavenly) but I also at a Reese's Klondike bar, a Heath Klondike bar and 3 serving of chocolate animal crackers after eating a whole chicken quarter. Needlesstosay, by 2:30pm, I was over my calories by about 1,400 so I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 3 hours and now I have about 500 spare calories because I burned off 1937 at the gym. Am I becoming an over weight anorexic? Please provide your honest feedback. After the 2nd Klondike bar, I wasn't even hungry but I had to try it. What the hell is wrong with me?

I think you are vastly over estimating your calorie burn.
  • The treadmill calculated the calories for me so is it safe to trust the treadmills?

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    The treadmill calculated the calories for me so is it safe to trust the treadmills?

No

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    The treadmill calculated the calories for me so is it safe to trust the treadmills?
    No.
  • I tried a low carb diet and I just can't do it so you are probably right with the binge based on unnecessary restrictions. I walked on the treadmill at different inclines ranging from 7.5-15.0 at 3 mph for 3 miles for 3 hours.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    I would talk to a therapist.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    have you talked to a professional about your feelings concerning food, calories, and weight?
  • If it is not safe to trust the treadmill, how can you calculate how many calories you burn?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    I tried a low carb diet and I just can't do it so you are probably right with the binge based on unnecessary restrictions. I walked on the treadmill at different inclines ranging from 7.5-15.0 at 3 mph for 3 miles for 3 hours.

You need to examine your relationship with food and exercise because if you dont, and you keep this up, you could lead yourself down a dangerous road.

Talk to a therapist.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    I'm finding it isn't quite safe to trust the stated calorie burn of almost anything.....
    I searched and logged jet skiing today.
    I refuse to believe that bombing around on the lake is burning hundreds of calories.
    I chop it in half.....sometimes a quarter.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If you feel like you're becoming one, you need to speak to a professional. And no, you can't trust what an exercise machine says you burned.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    No, I don't believe you are anorexic. It sounds like you were overly restrictive in your diet, and this led to over eating. It is why many on here say to try to work in treats and food you enjoy, so you don't feel deprived.

Anorexia is a serious eating disorder. At most, I would say you might want to rethink your diet and the way you think about food and exercise.
  • I've never talked to a therapist about my weight issues. I personally don't think they give a s*&t! My doctor didn't seem to care that I complained to him that I felt like I was starving with the diet he gave me. He just wanted me to continue seeing him so he can get paid for the office visit. I was truly hungry with that diet and now I feel lost but I did seem to lose 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks. I hope it lasts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You're eating what?

Sorry but no ...stop

You need to eat protein and fats and a range of foods within your calorie defecit
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Actually did I misread, is this in addition to a balanced diet of proper food ?
  • According to the MFP calculator, I still have 965 calories, 256 carbs, 52 in protein and 7 in sugars. I'm behind the 8 ball with fat by 26 grams and sodium by 690 but my sodium is low anyways.
  • I ate eggs, ham, chicken, and a salad with cheese prior to my binge. I'm getting hungry now.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    One day of bingeing does not mean you have a food disorder.

But it's good you're taking a good look at your day and worrying what it does mean.

I recommend allowing yourself treats in moderation every day or two, so you don't feel you need to "catch up" on your treats all at once and go overboard.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    First - one occasion of binging does not mean you have an eating disorder. Trying to walk for 3 hours to make up for your bad decision also does not mean you have anorexia/bulimia.
    Second - I am not sure how much you weigh - but I also strongly suspect an overestimation of calorie burn for the walking.
    Third - If you are hungry again now - try eating some high fiber low calorie dense foods to make you feel better - ie broccoli, raw veggies. Being hungry does not sound like a good place for you right now.
    Last - You may be right about your doctor - but you may be just unhappy with reality. If you are drastically overweight and needing to lose a lot of weight - you will likely be hungry at times while adjusting. If you choose the right foods for you, you should be able to make this a sustainable lifestyle and have very few occasions of hunger. You do not need to take it all off at once, but you will not be able to feel "stuffed" like you most probably did in the past. You should be able to get plenty of food to meet your body's needs - but if you have gotten this overweight by trying to use food to meet other mental needs- then yes, you will possibly need the help of a mental health professional to get you through those issues.