I want to lift!

Ok I'm frustrated. I absolutely do not care what the number on the scale says. I figured out a long time ago regardless of the number I'm still going to think that I could look/feel better. Instead I've fallen completely in love with my tone/defined body. I want to see more of it. I'm frustrated tho because every time I ask someone to help me get started lifting weights they redirect me and tell me I only need to focus on cardio. I know. I know. I need the cardio to help she'd the unwanted pounds. But I'm doing it. At least 45 mins daily. But I want to add weight lifting. I don't just want to use the machines at the gym. People, even the trainer, kinda blow me off because apparently your supposed to be at your goal weight before you start (how dumb is that!?). I'm not going to stop doing cardio. But I want to move on to the next level. I'm obsessed with my new found strength. Does anyone have any resources that might help?

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    edited June 2015
    If no one is willing to help you then youtube will be your best friend! Deadlifts and squats are faves of mine. I have had friends do the 5x5 program to start out. Check out this site http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BeginnerWorkoutPrograms and read, read, read! If no one is willing to help you find a plan you can follow and youtube the heck out of the moves to help you learn proper technique. Jeff Cavaliere has an awesome youtube channel too. Good luck!
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    I think that's awesome you want to start weight training. I think most people think cardio will help them lose weight, but it's more of what you eat that does it. I like to say that what I eat helps me lose weight but weight training helps me look good in what's left over.

I get the feeling that you don't want to do weight training at the gym, but instead would rather do it at home? YouTube has excellent videos regarding bodyweight exercises. they're really good if you're not set up with a gym at home but still want to do it there.

Just search for bodyweight leg exercises or bodyweight ab workout. You get the idea.

Goog luck to you. I think it's awesome you have figured out the value of strength training. Many people are afraid of "bulking up" and avoid it as a result. I personally think weight training is more important than cardio.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Your instincts are WAY better than the crappy advice you're getting. GO FOR IT.
  • jonesmanyo
    jonesmanyo Posts: 10 Member
    Ok I'm frustrated. I absolutely do not care what the number on the scale says. I figured out a long time ago regardless of the number I'm still going to think that I could look/feel better. Instead I've fallen completely in love with my tone/defined body. I want to see more of it. I'm frustrated tho because every time I ask someone to help me get started lifting weights they redirect me and tell me I only need to focus on cardio. I know. I know. I need the cardio to help she'd the unwanted pounds. But I'm doing it. At least 45 mins daily. But I want to add weight lifting. I don't just want to use the machines at the gym. People, even the trainer, kinda blow me off because apparently your supposed to be at your goal weight before you start (how dumb is that!?). I'm not going to stop doing cardio. But I want to move on to the next level. I'm obsessed with my new found strength. Does anyone have any resources that might help?

• jonesmanyo
    jonesmanyo Posts: 10 Member
    I think you should lift! Do not pay attention to the side eyes given to you at the gym. Do not let anyone tell you you're not supposed to either simply because you haven't reached an ideal weight. Lifting helps you tone faster and build muscle faster. I also read that even after you stop lifting for the day, you keep burning calories. Plus, it's such joy and pride to wake up sore the next morning. It makes one feel like they've put in a lot of effort. So lift, irrespective of height or weight
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    You're the client. If you've asked your trainer to teach you to lift and they've blown you off, time to ask for another trainer.
  • QuallyLeShay
    QuallyLeShay Posts: 37 Member
    cavia wrote: »
    You're the client. If you've asked your trainer to teach you to lift and they've blown you off, time to ask for another trainer.

I wish I could. I'm from a really small town and there is only one trainer at the only gym in town. Small town usa. Lol. I can't really fork out the cash for a personal trainer. I'm going to check out the YouTube videos tho!
  • QuallyLeShay
    moto450 wrote: »
    I think that's awesome you want to start weight training. I think most people think cardio will help them lose weight, but it's more of what you eat that does it. I like to say that what I eat helps me lose weight but weight training helps me look good in what's left over.

I get the feeling that you don't want to do weight training at the gym, but instead would rather do it at home? YouTube has excellent videos regarding bodyweight exercises. they're really good if you're not set up with a gym at home but still want to do it there.

Just search for bodyweight leg exercises or bodyweight ab workout. You get the idea.

Goog luck to you. I think it's awesome you have figured out the value of strength training. Many people are afraid of "bulking up" and avoid it as a result. I personally think weight training is more important than cardio.

I have a few videos that focus on strength training using body weight and really enjoy them. I would really like to use the gym tho. I'm that one girl that shows up in the middle of the night and stays for 3 hours. Lol. It would be awesome because there is never a crowd and I could spend some time really focusing on technique. I just don't know where to start.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    it's never a bad time to start lifting heavy *kitten*
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Im using this site program. Not sure if it's good enough but I like it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Change gym and trainer

Choose from books like strong curves or NROLFW

Or sites like stronglifts5x5 or ice cream fitness

And know that you're right and they are wrong

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I found everything I needed to know to get started here: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

There are lots of other beginning programs readily available, that's just the one I happen to use.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I do strong lifts and like it. I do cardio 30 minutes a day and lift weights 3x week. I love my lifting days. I did up my protein intake which is supposed to help with muscle mass.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Find a programme you want to try such as Stronglifts 5x5 and ask the trainer at the gym to show you the specific exercises listed. That's what I did when I first started lifting. That way you are going into the gym with a clear idea of what you want to do and they will be less likely to try and blow you off with ideas of what THEY think you should do.

But check youtube for videos on form as well

• QuallyLeShay
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Find a programme you want to try such as Stronglifts 5x5 and ask the trainer at the gym to show you the specific exercises listed. That's what I did when I first started lifting. That way you are going into the gym with a clear idea of what you want to do and they will be less likely to try and blow you off with ideas of what THEY think you should do.

Ahhhh! Love it. How is he going to tell me I should do something else if I ask specifics?! Great idea!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »

Totally this. Then if he says you should do cardio instead, you can say "I didn't ask you to tell me what kind of workout to do, I asked you to teach me these 5 lifts. Are you capable of doing that, or do I need to find someone else who is?"

Feel free to substitute with "Are you capable of doing that, or do I need to let gym management know their trainer does not know how to teach people to lift weights?"

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I'll just add: Sometimes we get self-conscious about ourselves and attribute motivations in others that aren't really there.

Maybe he's not blowing you off because you're overweight. Maybe he's just a jerk. Or maybe you're not being assertive or not commanding respect with how you ask your questions.

People will treat you how you demand to be treated. This is true whether you're a size 2 or a size 20.