The butt of fat jokes

Options
2»

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You need to stop the madness in your head. You can't let these thoughts consume you. I'm a 58 year old woman who hated her body her whole life. I started dieting at 13 and have never stopped. I always felt fat but when I look back at old pictures of me I see a beautiful girl. I couldn't get past my own body image issues to enjoy what God had given me. Don't spend your life like this!

Eat the right things most of the time. Log your food so you know what you're eating and you don't have to worry 'did I eat too much'? Exercise, even if it is just walking around your neighborhood. It's good for the mind. Work on your head as well as your body. Don't say things to yourself that you wouldn't dream of saying to another person. Love yourself.

Good luck. Your boyfriend sounds like a nice man. Just focus your mind on healthy thoughts. Don't dwell on the stupid comments of others.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of jerks. It sounds like you have an awesome boyfriend though. Like someone above said, he obviously still finds you attractive so don't push him away. It sounds like we were in similar situations weight wise. I went from a size 5 to a 9 and got upset when one of my friends drunkenly said something mean about my weight. I spend a couple weeks feeling bad about myself then started counting calories and successfully losing weight. I've lost around 15ish pounds since late March. Learning about my TDEE and calorie counting made a huge difference for me. I eat what I want and stay in my calorie goal and have been losing. I exercise when I want to for the health benefits and fun. Feel free to add me/message me for support or motivation. I aim to eat at 1200 a day and keep my diary open.
  • kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your BF's friends sound like terrible people. Anything beyond that has already been said. Keep your head up and ignore people like that. The worst thing you can do is make a change because of what someone said.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine how bad it hurt, a lot of us know what it's like to be ridiculed for carrying a few extra pounds. Those guys are immature, a few years out in the real world ought to solve that. You should be able to make good progress in two months. Not 20 pounds, but good progress towards that. Hugs.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    A size 10 is not fat. Unless you're 4 foot tall maybe. If it's just people he knows and he did defend you to them, then just ignore the *kitten*. If your friends and your boyfriend are supportive, focus on that, not immature jokes from frat boys. They're not worth paying attention to their opinions.
  • thevolp
    thevolp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you. You guys are all right and I'm really glad for the support and positive comments. People can be so harsh and judge mental. I am fat, I went from being healthy and in my weight range to obese to very overweight ( I lost 10 pounds since my heaviest). Technically someone that is 5'2" should not be over like 138 and at my heaviest I was 169. I am naturally fat, it runs in my family my mom was obese her whole life. It's just something I need to fight. Hope everyone is meeting their goals and staying tough.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    He's the one who should feel ashamed and worthless. That's not how you treat someone you love. Sorry, but he sounds like a pig.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thevolp wrote: »
    I am naturally fat, it runs in my family my mom was obese her whole life. It's just something I need to fight.

This is more likely nurture, not nature. Fatness will look like it runs in families because they are passing down eating habits from one generation to the next. It's all calories in vs calories out. My fattest friend has been fat since he was a little boy. It'd be easy to say that's just his genetics at work and he's naturally fat. But really, his parents are both skinny. His mom has always been encouraging him to eat more and constantly giving him large amounts of food since he was little. That's why he's fat.

I only say this because you can reach the level of health/weight/fitness you want, and I'd hate for this to appear to be a roadblock. Dealing with asshats is bad enough.
  • thevolp
    thevolp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree, we all instinctively over eat as an evolutionary adaptation and of course some more than others, but I know I have more of a propensity to binge eat and overeat and was certainly raised to overeat and eat junk too. It's a combination of both that hopefully I can overcome and not put my children in that position either. Thanks for your support and keep up with your goals as well.
  • linzee32
    linzee32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    tudoroaks4 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need some new friends.

Ditto this