how do people burn so much at the gym?

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
i usually burn around 200-300 just doing 20 mins of jogging/walking and then 5 mins of rowing and im like bored and dead after it!

Replies

• notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, I couldn't deal with cardio without it.
    It depends on what you wanna do though, for weight training its just a matter of focusing on the correct technique and form.
    Cardio is horrible, I'm sure nobody enjoys it but we all have to do it, so fill up an MP3 player and let your mind drift away.
  • bike4now
    bike4now Posts: 52
    Options
    Home gym = favorite TV shows
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If I go to the gym I'm there for a MINIMUM of 600 calories, but more like 1100.

I do a min. of 35 minutes on the elliptical - sometimes up to 60 minutes (depends if I can catch a good groove and whether or not I was able to score a machine directly under the ceiling fans :laugh:)

If I had a shorter time on the elliptical then I do the ARC, so far I can eek out 20 minutes before I"m dead.

Hill course on a bike.
    Rowing for 10-15 minutes.

Sometimes if I have some time left (childcare rooms have a 90 minute limit) I'll walk on the treadmill for a cool down - at a slight incline (like 5%).

eta: to fight off boredom I watch the tvs -- really only interested in the morning weekday talk though - like the View and the Doctors. I have a Belkin attachment for my iPhone so I can tune into the radio station and hear it.... I also like listening to podcasts. I can zone out more to talk than I can to music. Time drags for me if I only have Pandora to pass the time!
    I think I'll be looking into an audio book after my podcasts are used up.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I push myself by adding my favorite music: house music, r and b and other songs. that's the only way I can do it. The exercise videos get boring so I put on my own music. And I stay focused...
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, I couldn't deal with cardio without it.
    It depends on what you wanna do though, for weight training its just a matter of focusing on the correct technique and form.
    Cardio is horrible, I'm sure nobody enjoys it but we all have to do it, so fill up an MP3 player and let your mind drift away.

I 100% agree! Music saves me daily LOL
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You probably weigh under 150 pounds. The less you weigh, the less you're going to burn. Get some great workout music and just do you.
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    determination . is my key, i get there and think to myself what do i want out of this , and then i just get going ! when i get tired, i pump up my music and work harder for i know ill get my result if i continue.. music is also a BIG part of it :) good tunes keeps me going and i upload tv shows to my ipod
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    okay question for the music people. how do your headphones not fall out your years when exercising?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You really should be doing 45 mins to an hour for fat burning. Just low intensity, keep going, but yeah boring as. That's why I don't go to the gym! Running outside and exercise classes are far more fun.
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    burning 200 or 300 calories in just 20 minutes is a lot hun
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    okay question for the music people. how do your headphones not fall out your years when exercising?

I have the Apple iPod headphones and they stay in just fine
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i listen to audio books...i tend to tune out music but a book makes me pay attention to whats going on in the story rather than how bad i hurt or how much i want to stop :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't burn that many calories at the gym - except when I take the very occasional spin class. Otherwise I just do boot camp 3x a week, yoga, and core class. My big calorie burns are from running 4x a week. I love running....cardio is my favorite.....but outside, not at the gym. I hate the dreadmill.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You could try some fun classes like Zumba or boxercise. I don't know what your gym is like but we have classes going all the time, spinning, aerobic type stuff, martial arts, there's racquet sports, indoor and outdoor pool. You just need to find something else you like! :)
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I usually burn around 500/600 calories:wink: , I sprint on treadmill for 2min then rest for 1min then sprint for 2 min, and I do this three times, burns around 150calories, then for the other 150 I jog on the treadmill, so thats 300 done, I then use the cross trainer for 100 and the rowing machine for 100, this is round about 50 mins, so altogether 500 and then I do weight:sad: s, so im not usually in longer than 1hour, therefore it doesnt get boring:wink: . I really go for it though, you have to be in the right frame of mind though, it helps that i LOVE the gym, and the feeling when you come out :smile:
  • hayley_m
    hayley_m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    when im working on the cross trainer i try to let my mind drift away...i think about all the things i want to do when im slim and healthy, all the places i wanna go and all the clothes im gonna wear....once my daydreaming stops ive usually done about 30 mins!! then i push through and try and get another 10 done!!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I mostly do the elliptical at the gym (as my cardio) and always have my mp3 player on and if I can get one with a tv then I plug in to it. Also, I use my towel to cover up the time sometimes when I'm just not feeling it. Once you get into your own little world then the time does pass by a lot quicker.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I do a min. of 35 minutes on the elliptical - sometimes up to 60 minutes (depends if I can catch a good groove and whether or not I was able to score a machine directly under the ceiling fans :laugh:)

ROTFLMAOOOO!! SOooo your the one that ALWAYS takes my elliptical!!

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Elliptical machines are the best for burning calories I find, however, the calories burned on the machine does not match up to my HRM. The machine actually adds 100 odd more than what I actually burn. And I trust my HRM more than the machines themselves.

I do 700-900 in 90 minutes, depending on the machines I use. I try not to run on the treadmills too much for fear of bulking up my calves!
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options

i can't use the ones you stick in your ears so i use the ones that clip around your ear (without the thing that goes over your head). like these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxell-Stereo-Ear-Clips/10981896