how do people burn so much at the gym?

Options

Replies

• DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    okay question for the music people. how do your headphones not fall out your years when exercising?

I have the Apple iPod headphones and they stay in just fine

Sony Earphones- wrap AROUND the ears. Love'em!!
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    I listen to music, I couldn't deal with cardio without it.
    It depends on what you wanna do though, for weight training its just a matter of focusing on the correct technique and form.
    Cardio is horrible, I'm sure nobody enjoys it but we all have to do it, so fill up an MP3 player and let your mind drift away.

I have to be honest - when i get there, i love cardio, i pref the bikes and ellipictals and maybe walking on a treadmill (hate rowing) but i use music or if im at home a laptop and watch my dvds or a tv show on the demands sites online and i dont even notice what im doing....I just dont like weights :) haha
  • terimacaluso
    Options
    Our work just signed up for the GCC (Gettheworldmoving.com) - it's a 'moving' challenge. You sign up with coworkers (7 in a group) and they send you a pedometer. Then from May to September you track your steps, biking and/or swimming and compete company-wide and across company. There are a lot of companies competing, it's pretty motivating!

I'm a run/walker - treadmill when i don't have time for outside. but i live at the beach, so outside is my favorite.
    As our challenge says "JUST GET MOVING" - anything more than sitting burns calories.

5080714.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    okay question for the music people. how do your headphones not fall out your years when exercising?

I got some great ones for Christmas. Sennheiser. They are designed for working out and they are the ones that go in your ear canal vs. the cheapo buds that come with your iPod. Music is KEY or finding a class that you can really get into. I generally burn between 400-1000 depending on the day and what I do. Monday, Wednesday and Friday's I can usually get in at least 1 spin class (I'm addicted to spin-love it!) sometimes 2. If I can't get in a double, I do weights and abs. Tuesday is golf day. Thursday is cardio machine and ab day and that's usually only about 500 calories burned. Saturday is whatever I can get in around my kids schedules and Sunday is rest. The key is to find something you enjoy doing and do it hard while you are there. I'm constantly amazed at the folks I see strolling on the treadmill while reading a book (and these aren't the obese/unhealthy/this is all they can do people-kudos to them for exercising) and then they comment on how much I sweat!
  • RJaxon00
    RJaxon00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When do the elliptical, I found that incorporating HIIT made it easier to pass the time by.

I usually do 1 min of high intensity followed by 2 min of moderate intensity to catch my breath. I found that after the 1 min burst of high intensity, I'm focused on catching my breath for the other 2 min. Suddenly, the 25-30 minutes have passed before I realized it! :laugh:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I have the Apple iPod headphones and they stay in just fine

It just depends on your ear shape. I got a pack at wal-mart that gives you like 3 different tips that you can put on the speakers to fit your ear best. It had to have been less than $20 or I wouldn't have bought it! Also the gummy kind stay in better. The generic apple buds tend to slip out of my ears...
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Wrap around headphones, like these...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000J9Z7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    i usually burn around 200-300 just doing 20 mins of jogging/walking and then 5 mins of rowing and im like bored and dead after it!

If you lower your heart rete you might be able to go Go Longer duration.

Also body adaptation to fitness. It gets easier with practice

Sometimes once it's a habit, the time goes by faster.

I don't know -- I haven't gone to a gym since 1982 when I joined a Free Week Trial

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    burning 200 or 300 calories in just 20 minutes is a lot hun

She's right.
  • Jmongillo
    Jmongillo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to use the "ear buds" instead of headphones. They fit snugger actually inside the ear so they don't fall out (:
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    your starting weight isn't very heavy so you might burn less even for the same time as others
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You probably weigh under 150 pounds. The less you weigh, the less you're going to burn. Get some great workout music and just do you.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    At the gym you keep moving and complete all exercising , you don't let yourself poop out like you might at home :)
  • MsTamzyK
    MsTamzyK Posts: 45
    Options
    Try some group exercise classes...it's the funnest way to burn between 300-500 calories, give or take within 30min-1 hour. I hate doing the machines but I get on the treadmill everytime I go to the gym. I realize that I should probably be doing some weights or something...oh well LOL I'll get to it eventually. :laugh:
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I do a minimum of 600 at the gym and sometimes up to 1300 if I really get into the groove on my favourite treadmill. I do actually like cardio though. Didn't always but once I decided to focus on losing weight and stick largely to cardio it took maybe a month of horrible, nauseating cardio when every km hurt and I could hardly breathe. Then one day I ran 2.5km and realised I felt ok. Now I regularly run up to 15km at a time. If you want to burn more calories just give your fitness levels time to catch up and it'll click. Then you'll suddenly be spending hours at the gym, enjoying it and feeling the burn!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    i usually burn around 200-300 just doing 20 mins of jogging/walking and then 5 mins of rowing and im like bored and dead after it!
    As has been pointed out, 200-300 caloies is a pretty good burn.

When I started, I was burning far less than that (err... actually I still am) and I thought "Wow, that's half an hour of hard work for less than a bar of chocolate, it's hardly worth it" but I realised that I was looking at things from the wrong perspective. I now think "250 calories for a bar of chocolate, that's INSANE, that's half an hour in the gym, it's hardly worth it!

As for how people burn so much at the gym, eg 1000 calories in an hour, I figure that they're either:

1. A lot fitter and stronger than me (they can expend more effort)
    2. A lot heavier than me (lugging their weight about burns a lot)
    3. Wrong about how much they're burning.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    As for how people burn so much at the gym, eg 1000 calories in an hour, I figure that they're either:

1. A lot fitter and stronger than me (they can expend more effort)
    2. A lot heavier than me (lugging their weight about burns a lot)
    3. Wrong about how much they're burning.

1000 calories in an hour is alot
    i weigh 240 lbs and i'll burn somewhere between 12-15 calories per minute during a usual workout
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The harder you push yourself, the more calories you will burn because your heart rate will be higher with higher exertion. Also the longer you exercise, the more calories. I usually do 110-130 calories per 10 minutes with running and 100-110 per 10 minutes with spinning... I do that for 45-60 minutes of cardio per work out.

The fitter you are, actually your heart rate won't go as high and you might have to work a lot harder to burn more calories. One good thing about being out of shape is that its easier to increase your heart rate and burn calories. Just being a girl means you are going to burn less than a guy. You look petite, so you are going to burn less than taller or heavier people.

Find something you enjoy, if you want to exercise longer. Listen to music, or go with a friend. I prefer to work out alone so I can push myself and stay focused. You look like you are at a healthy weight so 30 minutes (300 calories) work out may be all that you need to stay healthy.

If you are getting tired easily... 1) push through it ... or 2) make sure you are eating enough to have the energy to work out.
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options

lucky you, I just ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill and it told me 300 calories!
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    I agree!