Alcohol question

Options

Replies

• fgleiser
    fgleiser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 glasses of wine OR 2-3 beers on weekends. that's it. And not every week, some weeks I don't drink alcohol at all, some weeks I drink a bit more
  • bustedup
    bustedup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and am feeling very inspired, thank you for sharing. If anyone is looking for a partner or a challenge (i.e. 30 day, 50 day, etc.) I am happy to join you. Always looking for new friends too. Thanks.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much, maybe a glass of something or another once a month, and holidays sometimes if I'm in the mood. FIL makes a mean brandy alexander
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    No Booze for a year and a half! Once I stopped drinking my weight really came off fast, Booze would help me make bad choices in eating after drinking. I have never felt better since I have given up Alcohol.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I drink probably 5 nights a week, 2 drinks, sometimes 3-4 on the weekends. I don't always log the calories. I know if I quit I could probably lose these last 5 lbs but I'm content so it's alright.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Usually not more than 1-2 a week but I don't drink alcohol every week. Saturday night I had 2 glasses of wine which is very unusual for me, but it was a special occasion and I had more than enough calories banked to allow for it.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I probably drink 6 days out of 7, not to the point of oblivion but i like to have a drink after i have been at work and had dinner, i just work the drink i do have into my calorie allowance for the day x
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I echo bustedup's comments - you guys are very inspiring. I definitely drink too much, or at least too often (as opposed to binge drinking). I know it's what is standing in the way of me losing those last 10 lbs. I've given it up before for 30 days at a time and have felt great, but as soon as day 31 comes around it's back into my old habits. So maybe I need to try something else. If anyone's got any tips, feel free to share them!
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MsBonfire wrote: »
    How much do you drink in a day or weekly basis?
    I got into the naughty habit of drinking daily 'to relax'. When i started logging my calories here it became glaringly apparent that i may as well have been drinking sugar-water. Even Vodkas and slimline tonics were totting up the calories fast (im not the sort of girl to have just 1 single shot and leave it at that) so i stopped drinking, full-stop. I never thought id be able to, or want to, quit drinking but logging all those empty calories made me realize that alcohol was not more important to me than losing weight.
    Im not saying i'll never let another alcoholic drink pass my lips, but right now i've no desire to drink because a) i refuse to go over my daily calorie allowance for the sake of a little drink and b) im not prepared to go hungry (again) to fit the calories into my macros. Id rather get a buzz from seeing the scale go down than from the bottom of a bottle, but that's just me. For anyone who has the willpower to just stick to the one drink every now and then i guess it wouldnt hurt, but only if it fits in your cals, otherwise imo its just not worth it.

Hey, Coconutty - are you my lost twin that they told me I had? Seriously, yeah. I drank vodka every night after work and was not productive at all, meaning I fell asleep in front of the TV. I listened to the people who said, "Oh, you can drink vodka, no calories." Well, when I started tracking it - holy crap! Yeah, the calories skyrocketed and added to the crap I craved and ate when drinking, wow. So, I weighed what's more important and feeling good won. I'm so glad, too. I didn't think I could give it up, but have felt so great. Back to exercising, eating right without pigging out and sleeping well at night instead of waking every 45 minutes. Waking up in the morning feels great instead of full of dread, doom and feeling sick.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Most weeks I would say I have 2-3 beers and a half bottle of wine (not all at once, that is spread out over 7 days). I account for it in my log and make it fit my weekly calorie count.
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have always drank coffee in the am, water while at work and beer when I got home, Never to the point of dunk, but 6-10 beers a night was not out of the ordinary. I still partake in far too many. My job is pretty stressful, so for me that's what helps me unwind. Definitely looking to cut it out due to the insane calorie cost.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I binge drink (8+ drinks) probably once every 2 or 3 weeks. I rarely have a casual drink on a weeknight, maybe 1 or 2 drinks on a non-binge weekend. That being said, I usually will drink light beer or wine spritzers to keep alcohol content and calories down.

Although, probably once a month I drink 1000 calories worth of alcohol in one night. And these nights usually include a lot of junk-food snacking too. I do try to limit these nights, but when they do come up I don't beat myself up over it.

I still lost 23 lbs over the past 5 months and am currently 2 lbs from my goal weight, so I'm not going to quit any time soon!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    choose not to drink -- sure makes early morning exercise easier, leaves more calories for other food, less brain fog, etc. Totally personal choice. I drank enough when younger, no need now.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Maybe a beer or a glass of wine 4-5 nights a week sometimes 2 if I start early. Some days I drink more. It just depends on what I have going on.
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Family history suggests I not partake too often or suffer the addictions.. still at this point I mostly steer clear because I just can't stand what liquid calories due to my Food diary ;) I will have an occasional shot of fireball whisky in my black coffee after dinner, perhaps a dozen total in the last 18 months.

Otherwise my choice is water, coffee (holy water), and an occasional self made green/fruity smoothyish thing.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The issue with alcohol is your body uses that for fuel first, before it even gets to anything you've eaten, so if you do have snacks with the drinks, it could really affect you negatively. Either way, everything in moderation.
  • f8tnotfat
    f8tnotfat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink beer every Friday night (2+ beers) and Saturday (5+ beers) and have been doing this for as long as I can remember (I'm 52). I don't drink any other times and I only drink beer because I cannot stand wine or hard alcohol. I stay active on the weekends, hike/walk/yard work/cleaning etc. but I always manage to get my beers in. I know I drink to relieve stresses in my life.....I have a 3 hour work commute every day on top of a stressful job, so I have 12 hour work days M-F and I take care of my Mom who has CHF and lives with my husband and me, but I also know that the way I drink makes it much more stressful on my body/brain. Becoming 100% nondrinking is my number 1 goal and stopping overeating is my number 2 goal, and I think they will go hand in hand just fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have a glass or two of wine mid week usually...usually a couple drinks on Friday. Saturday evenings I usually have 5-6 drinks and we do a cookout...I might have a couple beers on the patio on a Sunday afternoon.
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A couple times a month, either 2 beers or a mixed drink...not a big fan of heavy drinking at all. Just started drinking occasionally after almost a year and a half without it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 oz. Scotch, half a bottle of wine and a beer after dinner. I had company and went way over that without my usual run in the morning. I gained 7.2 pounds in four days. It is now time to cut back til I shed 10 or 15 pounds. That means just wine for a while. ;-)