Help! Why can't I lose weight?

Options
hi I'm 9stone 8lb which I know is absolutely fine but it's half a stone heavier than my regular weight. I've been on a 1200-1500 daily calorie diet and do body pump once a week and run around 6 miles every week.
I just can't seem to change my weight at all!!! No change whatsoever. What am I doing wrong??

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it? Can you open your diary?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? It sounds like 1200-1500 calories is your maintenance level.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The most common culprit to failure to lose weight is inaccurate logging or incorrectly setting your calories.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Because your not being patient and you arent at consistent deficit. review your logging and the accuracy of your deficit creation.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight for?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    A contributer created an excellent flowchart for this type of question. Please check our the thread here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1

It gives some great answers for all of the common followup questions to "why am I not losing".
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? It sounds like 1200-1500 calories is your maintenance level.

Just... no.

OP - Are you using a food scale to measure your portions?
    Are you logging everything you eat?
    Exercise is a small percentage of the weight loss equation. Make sure you're meeting your nutrition goals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Either:
    -you haven't been giving it enough time to see results (at least a month to account for daily weight fluctuations)
    -you're eating more than you think (do you use a food scale and log everything?)
    -you're burning less than you think (how do you determine calories burned and how much of those do you eat back?)
    -a combination of some/all of the above
  • DemoraFairy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »

Just... no.

Well, it might be. We don't know anything about the OP other than her age. My maintenance is about 1500, and I know someone whose maintenance is less than 1200. OP might just be really, really short :P
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Just... no.

Exercise is a small percentage of the weight loss equation. Make sure you're meeting your nutrition goals.
    What do you mean? If she's not losing weight for an appreciable period of time, she's eating at maintenance. So, whatever she's eating on average could very well be her maintenance.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Hard to imagine maintenance at less than 1200 calories. I'm 60 years old, 5'1", and weigh 105. If I'm honest, I'm really only moderately active. My maintenance is 1300, which I know because I've been on maintenance for 2.5 years.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    what they said.
    a food scale is affordable and easy to use.
    I haven't gotten there yet, but I figure in another 15lbs or so or a stubborn plateau, I will need to have a more accurate measurement of foods.

essentially, you aren't eating less calories than you are burning.
    when you have less to lose, it seems very hard to get to that "ideal" weight. That's when specific and accurate measurements become vital
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hard to imagine maintenance at less than 1200 calories. I'm 60 years old, 5'1", and weigh 105. If I'm honest, I'm really only moderately active. My maintenance is 1300, which I know because I've been on maintenance for 2.5 years.
    1200-1500 isn't less than 1200.

ETA: And, even if she's making logging errors, what she's actually eating is maintaining her weight. "No change whatsoever."

That's maintenance, by definition, if the time period is long enough,

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Just... no.

What do you mean? If she's not losing weight for an appreciable period of time, she's eating at maintenance. So, whatever she's eating on average could very well be her maintenance.

Unless she is really short and small, her maintenance level isn't 1200.

We know nothing about her, so making assumptions isn't going to help anyone. That's why I asked the questions I did.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Just... no.

We know nothing about her, so making assumptions isn't going to help anyone. That's why I asked the questions I did.

well, that calorie range might not be her maintenance level... but... she is obviously eating at her maintenance level or she'd be losing.

My assumption would be innacurate logging of both food and exercise.

edited to add: on the days I dont workout i maintain close to 1600. ;P
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    And in case the OP doesn't like checking links (with thanks as always to lemonlionheart):

o225widr8eqm.jpg
  • DemoraFairy
    Options

Just... no.

But you're the one assuming her maintenance can't be 1200-1500.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Just... no.

We know what she's eating isn't causing her to gain or lose weight, right? That means what she's eating is her maintenance level, presuming this has been going on for a while, right?

You're assuming someone said her maintenance level is 1200. She says she eats 1200-1500, which isn't 1200. Further, even if she is logging incorrectly, what she's actually eating could very well be her maintenance level.

• nicolatracey1
    nicolatracey1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it? Can you open your diary?
    Made public now x