walking, whole30, essential oils and more!

Options
Hi! I'm not new to MFP, but have never explored the community feature before. Wow! I had no idea what I was missing out on. Tons of groups with support and recipes!

Since it's the first day of the month, I've decided to go back at my, what seems neverending, calorie counting and I'm also going to try to start walking today with my daughter. She is 2.5 so I hope being in the stroller will make her last as long as I'm ready to walk.

I'm also wanting to start Whole30 soon. I've recently cut back on my sugar intake, given up coffee and eventually want to move to AIP to help naturally control my hypothyroidism.

I'm also using Young Living Essential Oils to assist in hormone balance (which gives me energy) and weight loss - among other things.

Looking for new pals on the same path as myself so we can keep each other motivated and maybe I can steal some of your favorite whole30 recipes? Lol

Replies

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Best wishes finding the support you need! I have several acquaintances who did Whole 30 to "reset their eating habits" (whatever it is that Whole 30 is supposed to do). All of them regained the weight they lost and slipped back into bad eating habits. I truly think you'll be better off improving your diet as much as you can from a nutrition standpoint while eating the foods that you love to eat.
  • lilmrshaynes
    lilmrshaynes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing it to help myself ease more into the AIP (auto immune protocol) for my hypothyroidism. This will be a lifestyle change, not a diet. I plan on sticking to this for life so I can control my thyroid disease with diet rather than medication. Thank you!
  • an6elk
    an6elk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sarted Whole30 today. I have hypothyroidism and type II diabetes. Want to get off my meds.
  • lilmrshaynes
    Options
    an6elk wrote: »
    I sarted Whole30 today. I have hypothyroidism and type II diabetes. Want to get off my meds.

I hope you are able to reach your goals!

• tabrewis
    tabrewis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    lilmrshaynes - I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism myself & started my meds this week. (I also just started using YLEOs, so I'm trying to learn more about how those can help! :smile: )
    Are you still on your meds while starting Whole30? We were just talking about doing that, but I'm a little wary about trying to detox while just starting on a new med. I've never had to take meds on a regular basis before, so I'm kinda wierded out by it. LOL
  • lilmrshaynes
    Options
    tabrewis wrote: »
    lilmrshaynes - I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism myself & started my meds this week. (I also just started using YLEOs, so I'm trying to learn more about how those can help! :smile: )
    Are you still on your meds while starting Whole30? We were just talking about doing that, but I'm a little wary about trying to detox while just starting on a new med. I've never had to take meds on a regular basis before, so I'm kinda wierded out by it. LOL

Yes, I am still taking my meds. I wouldn't ever just stop taking them without talking to a dr, but i don't think doing whole30 will mess with them. I've been taking levothyroxine since 2010. It's weird taking a daily medication for sure. I hate it, and would love to get off it it eventually. If you're using YLEOs, I would recommend EndoFlex for endocrine system support if you haven't gotten it already. Good luck!

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've been taking levothyroxine since 2010. It's weird taking a daily medication for sure. I hate it, and would love to get off it it eventually.

If your thyroid is damaged, you'll be taking Synthroid or Armour for the rest of your life. Just as a person with Type 1 diabetes must take insulin.

Diet does not affect thyroid function: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
    Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.
  • lilmrshaynes
    Options
    I can't really speak to the other stuff, but I can tell you that the essential oils aren't going to do a single thing for anything, except your pocketbook.

I haven't visited this thread in quite a while, but I must disagree with your comment. Essential Oils have helped myself and my family tremendously.
  • lilmrshaynes
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I've been taking levothyroxine since 2010. It's weird taking a daily medication for sure. I hate it, and would love to get off it it eventually.

If your thyroid is damaged, you'll be taking Synthroid or Armour for the rest of your life. Just as a person with Type 1 diabetes must take insulin.

Diet does not affect thyroid function: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
    Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.

I have 2 friends who have actually gotten off meds switching to the AIP. It can be done if you truly stick to it. They still have full panels of b/w run every 6 months to check, but it's been working well for them for over a year now. My dosage has recently been reduced as well after cutting most dairy and eliminating all soy.
  • lilmrshaynes
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I have 2 friends who have actually gotten off meds switching to the AIP. It can be done if you truly stick to it. They still have full panels of b/w run every 6 months to check, but it's been working well for them for over a year now. My dosage has recently been reduced as well after cutting most dairy and eliminating all soy.

That being said, I can't speak for everyone who has tried it, but it has worked for 2 people I personally know.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I can't really speak to the other stuff, but I can tell you that the essential oils aren't going to do a single thing for anything, except your pocketbook.

I haven't visited this thread in quite a while, but I must disagree with your comment. Essential Oils have helped myself and my family tremendously.

How?
  • lilmrshaynes
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

How?

Less sickness since we've been using them. If someone does get sick, we get over things much quicker. We are supporting all of our different body systems with different oils. I've personally alleviated nausea and headaches with certain oils. I used an oil to remove a wart from my thumb. I've had redness removed from my face by using a blend with different oils mixed with coconut oil that replaced my moisturizer. I make soap, scrubs, cleaner and laundry detergent with my oils. Several other female things as well. You just have to really educate yourself to be an effective oil user. I've done tons of research and learned so much. They may not be for everyone, but they work for my family and we love them.