Someone find me a cheap replacement to Doritos...

Options
MFD7576
MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
Both calorically and cost wise, I need to find myself a replacement to Doritos.

I love them to death and I went to eatting a half a bag in one sitting to having a double portioned serving but that's still horrid for me... I need something better. I honestly wish I could get my hands on baked Doritos for a fair price

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    carrots...

in all seriousness, I used to snack on chips and whatnot like crazy...I just don't keep them around anymore and it took awhile, but I really don't miss them. I felt weird at first eating my sandwich with no chips, but not it's totally normal for me to have a sandwich and some carrots for that crunch and an apple for desert.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ^This

I eat veggies with my lunch. Try getting used to veggie sides...not chips. I do have chips in the house....the lunch box size. I use a small bag of Doritos as the base for a taco salad.

If you want something salty as a snack.....popcorn. Air pop it, or use a bit of oil and a Presto Popper microwave bowl. There are a ton of seasonings you can use to spice it up. For air popped corn, look for an oil mister (or use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray) to get the seasonings to stick.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I prefer discipline so I eat just one and know I'm stronger!!!
  • asunnysnowman
    asunnysnowman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Kay's protein chips!
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Popcorn kernels are hell in my teeth. I really enjoy peppers so maybe ill do that with some ranch. Veg's are a great alternative and I know that but I like the crunchy salty food too on occasion.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Kale chips. Easy to make at home and you can use a variety of spices to your liking.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Kay's protein chips!

Oh yeah, those chili cheese chips are really good!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Kay's protein chips!

Those look pretty pricey. Why not just eat some pork rinds?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Popcorn kernels are hell in my teeth. I really enjoy peppers so maybe ill do that with some ranch. Veg's are a great alternative and I know that but I like the crunchy salty food too on occasion.

there's your key right there...

i love chips and salsa as I am for all intents and purposes a native of NM...but I can seriously plow through a bag of tortilla chips in a matter of minutes so I don't really keep them around...I have them though on occasion...satruday bbqs and the like...not an every day food though.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like the spical k BBQ or chedder flavor chrisp. They are in the cracker isle but 26 chips is like 120 calories. They taste like chips
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Lentil chips with veggie sticks and some cheese. Baked Lentil chips are really good and higher in protien. Lots of flavors. Try them.
  • MFD7576
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Maybe try Lentil chips with veggie sticks and some cheese. Baked Lentil chips are really good and higher in protien. Lots of flavors. Try them.

Thanks for the tip man! I saw those in the store for the first time yesterday and just kept walking, Interesting come to think of it. Will do!

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid my favorite chips because I like them too much. I will eat pretzel thins. 11 with one ounce of sharp cheddar. Just over 200 calories and satisfying. But I usually am not tempted to overeat. I suggest trying that.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've made sweet potato chips with my dehydrator but it's sort of a laborious process so I'm not really suggesting this route unless you already have a dehydrator. But now I am wondering what they would taste like if I sprinkled the Hidden Valley ranch seasoning on them...

I really enjoy peppers so maybe ill do that with some ranch.

But anyway! As for the peppers & Ranch idea, I've been on a pepper kick so this has been my afternoon snack recently. But Ranch dressing can still be a real calorie bomb so I've been mixing it with plain Greek yogurt. 2:1 yogurt to dressing works for me but I usually have to add a little extra pepper. (Actually when this bottle is empty I might consider getting above mentioned seasoning mix and putting it right in the yogurt...)
  • MFD7576
    Options
    All great suggestions, thank you guys!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Veggies and kale chips.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds