wedding dress nightmare...

Options
Hi all. I'm Louise I'm 24 and I'm getting married in 18 Days. I have always had issues with weight from a young age. Was a size 20 at my biggest I'm now an 8 but at my dress fitting on Saturday the dress wouldn't zip up. The dress lady offered to put in a lace up back which I agreed with but I have rung up now and told her that I'm going to lose the weight.

I know it's difficult to gauge but I need to lose an inch and a half off my back...how much weight is this roughly. Are there any exercises I can do that may help.

Thank you for reading.

Replies

• cheftamic
    cheftamic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe do a healthy juice diet for a few days. You will get the nutrition from the fruits and veggies. Drink lots of water. No "empty" calories like soda. If you eat or drink it make it count. Stay busy so you have less of a chance to eat from boredom. Good luck and congratulations!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A good girdle, but that is going to suck on your wedding day. I am personally against a juice diet, because you are going to be one miserable cranky person.
  • sayoqod
    sayoqod Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's hard to gauge how much weight that will be - it's impossible to "target" areas with weight loss, even with particular exercises - the weight will come off in whatever places it wants.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Take it to a tailor. You've got enough stress already.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Take it to a tailor. You've got enough stress already.

This.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Double full body Spanx. You won't be able to breathe, and the best part of the day will be the release.

However, if you don't want that to be the most miserable day of your life, I suggest major alterations or another dress.
  • thebzax89
    thebzax89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above. I just got married and my body was faaar from how I wanted it, but it was still a wonderful day. You really do not want to be trying it on the day before and it won't do up.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Double full body Spanx. You won't be able to breathe, and the best part of the day will be the release.

However, if you don't want that to be the most miserable day of your life, I suggest major alterations or another dress.

And that's gonna be sexy when the groom takes off the dress!
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    laxatives. :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Call her back and tell her to proceed with the lace up back. It really isn't worth your health or the stress to try to lose an unhealthy amount of weight in 18 days.

What will you do if your crash diet doesn't work? Get married naked?
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You have 18 days, that is enough time to safely lose 3-5lbs without hurting, or starving yourself. Getting married is tons of stress, is the dress beautiful? Do you really like it? Then just stick to having the lace bit done, either way, you're a size 8, you're going to be gorgeous.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Are there any exercises I can do that may help.

Yes. Pick up the phone, call the dress lady back and tell her to put the lace up back on. You do NOT want to be worrying about whether or not you've lost enough inches in the right places when you put the dress on the day of the wedding.

Seriously. You're talking about 18 DAYS. Anything that you were to do now would (1) not be healthy, and (2) outside of 1-2 pounds max, be only temporary water weight (and likely not inches), which will come right back as soon as you eat/drink at the reception. That is besides the fact that you cannot spot reduce (ie if you had more time, you could lose 10 pounds and it might all come off your hips, instead of your bust/back).

Just do the sane and logical thing, and have the lace up back put on. Those look lovely, anyway :)

• Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »
    ... Noooooooo! >_>;;;

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Call her back and tell her to proceed with the lace up back. It really isn't worth your health or the stress to try to lose an unhealthy amount of weight in 18 days.

+1

Don't depend on losing enough weight in 18 days. Buy a good girdle or Spanx and have the dress altered to fit you.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Do the lace up the back. On top of everything else, you don't want to be so squeezed that something rips, pops, explodes, malfunctions on your special day. Or even worse, what if you pass out?

Trust me. You're the only one who will know.

Congratulations on your weight loss-that is phenomenal!! Celebrate that..and do the lace.

Best wishes!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »

That's an idiotic and dangerous thing to suggest.
    So is a juice fast.

Eat normally and get the dress altered.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that you should go with the lace up back and not do some crash diet to drop lots of weight super fast, but that will make you cranky/miserable/add tons more stress and which you will gain back rapidly. Others have said, you can't really gauge how much weight you need to lose to get 1.5 inches off your back. What you can do is get started on a program that focuses on burn and toning (i.e., Jillian Michaels, P90x?). If you started today, you'd have almost 3 weeks complete by the wedding. You might lose an inch by then, with reasonable diet, depending on your body. Drink lots of water, try to keep the sodium low (especially as you get closer to the wedding) and enjoy your big day.

Sarah
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    enjoy your day
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: Get the dress altered. Next time don't wait until the last minute to lose weight or get right size dress.

• toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my goodness, it's hard enough to lose weight when you don't have much to lose under normal circumstances. stress itself can affect weight loss. add the fact that you're already a size 8 so you're small and really can't have much available to lose, I wouldn't think. although you don't give you height. but still. I agree with the others. Have the lace insert. I would imagine it would make your dress and YOU even more beautiful for your wedding day. your groom is going to think you're gorgeous no matter what. make these last couple weeks as stress free and enjoyable as you can.