ladies let's talk birth control and weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have had the mirena for about a year and a half and have had no weight gain. Periods stopped after the first few months, no problems at all.
  • jballa06
    jballa06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about weight "gain". I've can't find research or studies about how it impacts your ability to lose weight. I've had the mirena in for about 3 months. And despite increasing exercise levels and becoming more strict with diet, I hit a plateau about 154 lbs. I don't want to blame mirena but the plateau times perfectly with the insertion. I've just stopped the constant bleeding so maybe that will help. I'm about 25 lbs overweight (im 5'3) and need to lose not maintain.

I know there are plenty of reasons you can plateau. But if this is one of them and I have to exercise like crazy and eat 1200 calorie diet over the next 4 years just to stay the same weight, I fear I will lose hope and motivation. :-(

And while I agree it's what you eat that makes you lose or fain, hormones are powerful. If my metabolism slows down due to hormones making my body think I'm pregnant. Then eating clean and vigorous exercise may not help. Your body will just slow down your metabolism. And it's not safe to eat less than 1200 calories. Anyone ever tried to lose weight when pregnant (I hope not lol)?
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for four and a half years. I haven't had a period in which hat time. As for weight gain/loss, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Any weight fluctuations I've had directly correspond to how I'm eating at the time. I will add, when I got Mirena I was on high dose Zoloft and Xanex, taken daily. Once I weaned myself off of those two medications, and generally improved my lifestyle (cut alcohol and fast food), I lost all extra weight. I'm going to have the Mirena removed within the next few months and will not be taking any type of birth control, so if I notice any weight changes I will update this post as I don't take any other medications and it may be related to Mirena.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with my doctor.
    His words, birth control does not cause weight gain, eating too much does.these people that say that are not carefully weighing their foods with a food scale and dont realize how many calories they are consuming.my doc is a big supporter of mfp . I agree with him. Ive been on depo for my entire weight loss process and never had an issue.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jballa06 wrote: »
    Everyone talks about weight "gain". I've can't find research or studies about how it impacts your ability to lose weight. I've had the mirena in for about 3 months. And despite increasing exercise levels and becoming more strict with diet, I hit a plateau about 154 lbs. I don't want to blame mirena but the plateau times perfectly with the insertion. I've just stopped the constant bleeding so maybe that will help. I'm about 25 lbs overweight (im 5'3) and need to lose not maintain.

I know there are plenty of reasons you can plateau. But if this is one of them and I have to exercise like crazy and eat 1200 calorie diet over the next 4 years just to stay the same weight, I fear I will lose hope and motivation. :-(

And while I agree it's what you eat that makes you lose or fain, hormones are powerful. If my metabolism slows down due to hormones making my body think I'm pregnant. Then eating clean and vigorous exercise may not help. Your body will just slow down your metabolism. And it's not safe to eat less than 1200 calories. Anyone ever tried to lose weight when pregnant (I hope not lol)?

@jballa06 a weight loss plateau has to last 4-6 weeks for it to be considered a plateau...and if that is the it is typically because you are eating more than you think.

Do you use a food scale? log accurately and consistently using a food scale and measuring cups/spoons?

If not start...

I have used Mirena/depo this entire 2 years i've been on mfp...56lbs down...9 months in maintenance...I have used a food scale from week 5 forward even in maintenance.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about the hormones in Mirena, but I don't see anyone talking about *materials.* My problem was SIIS or ASIA:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23576058

I had sjogrens, IBS, gained a pound a week (Much of it water, at the beginning.), exhaustion, and a bunch of other issues. After trying to work with the thing for a year, I had it removed, once my eye doctor (silicone contacts) identified the problem with silicone and my particularly fussy immune system. I have lost 20 lbs since my Mirena (which is made of silicone - with a silicone oil as the hormone delivery system) was removed.

It may not be the *hormones* that are the problem for you. This will not be the case as frequently as it appetite changes, and discipline, but it IS a thing, and there are a growing number of medical studies (small at this point, but satisfactorily proven to me by my own experience) that indicate that silicone is not an agreeable material for implants in everyone.
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Switched from hormonal birth control to paragard a few months back. Love it, no regrets. I lost about 5lbs from water weight within two weeks and then another 3lb from decreased appetite. In hindsight, I was actually undereating after the switch (corrected now), but at least it showed me how much the hormones had increased my appetite/cravings.
  • eyeofnewt555
    Options
    And to all the folks saying that hormones don't cause weight gain/prevent weight loss, I agree (excepting water weight, which shouldn't really be discounted). BUT it can affect a host of things that make weight loss harder, indirectly making the process more difficult, or weight gain more likely.

So if you're on a hormonal birth control and finding that the effort you're putting in is disproportionate to the results you're getting back, consider switching. And when people say that you can stick with the hormones and just work harder, be more diligent, well that's true. BUT, unless you have a compelling reason to stick with hormones, at least consider switching.
  • eyeofnewt555
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    So shall we all keep shaming women for putting on weight as a result of an increase in hormones? Because that is how this reads.
    "Oh you've had an enormous influx of hormones to your system and your body is trying to get used to it? Well if you gain a pound that'll be your willpower, weakling, despite the fact that tens of thousands of woman have reported the same thing"

^this.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80lbs over all - about 1/2 of those came after I started a low hormone pill. I've actually had better control over my appetite after starting it because I no longer have the wild, unpredictable hormone swings I used to.

I'm not going to say women who gain weight on the pill are "weaklings," but I will say that, if it's a concern, talk to your doctor about options that have different hormone balances (or low-hormone). That may help - and there are soooo many options available right now, why not discuss the possibility with your doctor? Even if weight gain's correlation with the pill is a myth, your doctor should still listen to your concerns and either provide alternatives, or information that might alleviate your worries.

For the record - I do think the direct correlation between gaining weight and starting the pill is a myth, but I think that's over-simplifying what the hormones from the pill can do to the appetite. I used to eat horribly during the TOM before starting the pill, and even now, I give myself a few more calories on those first few days. I would completely sympathize and understand someone gaining a few back after starting a new pill - I just don't think it's an excuse to completely fall off the wagon.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    So shall we all keep shaming women for putting on weight as a result of an increase in hormones? Because that is how this reads.
    "Oh you've had an enormous influx of hormones to your system and your body is trying to get used to it? Well if you gain a pound that'll be your willpower, weakling, despite the fact that tens of thousands of woman have reported the same thing"

^this.

I didn't see any of this...whomever thinks this was said please quote it..I suspect you are reading a lot into what was actually said...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Everyone talks about the hormones in Mirena, but I don't see anyone talking about *materials.* My problem was SIIS or ASIA:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23576058

I had sjogrens, IBS, gained a pound a week (Much of it water, at the beginning.), exhaustion, and a bunch of other issues. After trying to work with the thing for a year, I had it removed, once my eye doctor (silicone contacts) identified the problem with silicone and my particularly fussy immune system. I have lost 20 lbs since my Mirena (which is made of silicone - with a silicone oil as the hormone delivery system) was removed.

It may not be the *hormones* that are the problem for you. This will not be the case as frequently as it appetite changes, and discipline, but it IS a thing, and there are a growing number of medical studies (small at this point, but satisfactorily proven to me by my own experience) that indicate that silicone is not an agreeable material for implants in everyone.

That is a rare case and you know it...allergic to what it's made of or having issues with what it's made from is not the BC causing weight gain...it is the other issue and the reaction to the material...
  • ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena inserted when my daughter was 6 weeks old. 1 year later, I weighed 10 pounds more than I did 6 weeks after having a baby. It was crazy. Like many other women, I had hair loss that entire year! I also grew a mustache and had crazy mood swings. I seriously tried everything to lose weight, MFP, weight watchers, P90x, Insanity, trying to lose that weight and I gained 10 lbs! It was awful. Since having it out, I did have another baby, but weight less now than I did before my 2nd baby. I've lost 23 lbs in 6 months and I am 13lbs from my goal weight.

The way the doctor explained it, Mirena has high levels of progesterone and SOME women don't tolerate it well. I was just unfortunately one of those women. I have friends who have tolerated Mirena just fine. So I think it depends. Just be aware if something doesn't feel right.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    That is a rare case and you know it...allergic to what it's made of or having issues with what it's made from is not the BC causing weight gain...it is the other issue and the reaction to the material...

It is rare enough that my doctor didn't think of it while I suffered, so I think it is worth mentioning, yes. I didn't say is the source of everyone's woes. Mirena was the topic of many posters' comments, and it has a lower dose of hormone than quite a few oral BC options - which I haven't had any problems with. It is a puzzle piece, for some, but not the whole puzzle. If it was a missing piece for even one person, it was worth the few minutes it took me to type out.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I only had Mirena for 2 weeks. It caused me constant pain that was getting worse instead of better so I had it removed. In that 2 weeks I did gain 2 pounds.....but I also ate whatever I wanted just hoping something would make me feel better....
  • jballa06
    jballa06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

@jballa06 a weight loss plateau has to last 4-6 weeks for it to be considered a plateau...and if that is the it is typically because you are eating more than you think.

Do you use a food scale? log accurately and consistently using a food scale and measuring cups/spoons?

If not start...

I have used Mirena/depo this entire 2 years i've been on mfp...56lbs down...9 months in maintenance...I have used a food scale from week 5 forward even in maintenance.

@SezxyStef Thanks I need to hear more weight loss stories. I would like to see more research be done. Hear too many stories of women who were able to lose weight only after removing the IUD. I never had weight gain or loss issues with the pill (ortho tri cyclen) that I couldn't attitude to my behaviors. I was able to lose 10 pounds that I kept off before I started mothethood. This is my first time on progesterone only bc. I just don't want to waist time hindering or stopping potential progress.

I don't use a food scale but definately measure with measuring cups. I eyeball veggies and air on the side of overestimating. Correction* I've been at the same weight for 2 months not 3. But it's definitely been more than 6 weeks. Not a pound has stayed more than a day :-( took me 3 months to lose 5 pounds and the first 4 were before I got got the IUD.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    mlynch1984 wrote: »
    I'm 30 years old had baby number 2 in December 2013, gained 60 pounds while pregnant and decided to get Mirena in April 2014...im having the hardest time losing weight anyone esle have this issue? Thinking about having it removed!

Don't know about Mirena, but I was on the pill and had a very scary incident with a blood clot because of it (both the ER doctors and and my doctor believe it was the pill that caused it). I didn't notice a weight gain/loss from being on it/stopping it though.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

If not start...

@SezxyStef Thanks I need to hear more weight loss stories. I would like to see more research be done. Hear too many stories of women who were able to lose weight only after removing the IUD. I never had weight gain or loss issues with the pill (ortho tri cyclen) that I couldn't attitude to my behaviors. I was able to lose 10 pounds that I kept off before I started mothethood. This is my first time on progesterone only bc. I just don't want to waist time hindering or stopping potential progress.

I don't use a food scale but definately measure with measuring cups. I eyeball veggies and air on the side of overestimating. Correction* I've been at the same weight for 2 months not 3. But it's definitely been more than 6 weeks. Not a pound has stayed more than a day :-( took me 3 months to lose 5 pounds and the first 4 were before I got got the IUD.

@jballa06 you would be surprised if you got a food scale...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1186508-weighing-food-vs-measuring-wow?hl=Wow&page=4#posts-18526270
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

If not start...

If you aren't weighing your food. You cannot be sure how many calories you are actually consuming.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Switched from hormonal birth control to paragard a few months back. Love it, no regrets. I lost about 5lbs from water weight within two weeks and then another 3lb from decreased appetite. In hindsight, I was actually undereating after the switch (corrected now), but at least it showed me how much the hormones had increased my appetite/cravings.

I'm switching to paraguard next month! So excited. I do weigh and measure what I eat/have had blood testing for thyroid issues and my doctor finally agreed I may be sensitive to the hormones in the pill. I'm excited to be off hormones for the first time in a while. :)