Too heavy for gym

slylee89
slylee89 Posts: 9 Member
I got two depressing realisations today:-

1, I am actually 501 pounds instead of 465

2, I'm 101 pounds too heavy for gym equipment

I know I've lost weight but that throw back to 501 is really demotivating but I guess I was even more than that before I could get the scales to work.

On the plus side I did a lot of walking despite back pain and found videos that allow workouts from a chair.

This post helped me ease my frustrations.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    You don't need to go to a gym.

The walking and the videos you've found are great!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I would say keep eating in a deficit, keep walking, and before you know it you will be able to go to the gym.

can you get some small dumbbells and maybe use those from home for a while until you can go to the gym?

congrats on losing the weight so far. Remember, it is a marathon not a sprint. Eventually, you will get to where you want to be!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    On the bright side, you don't need a gym to workout. I do 95% of my workouts at home.

Walking is one of the best long term workouts out there. And its way better to walk outside where you can see lots of interesting stuff instead of trudging away on the treadmill.

I run (started with walking) a few times a week. I either go with my spouse and we can catch up on our day or I listen to books on tape. Both are really great ways to pass the time and enrich your life while you are out and about.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I stopped going to the gym after finding that my TV offers plenty of fitness options that don't involve driving anywhere or having anyone look at me :)

Well done on not letting the one 'setback' derail you. The walking and chair workouts will be plenty.

• 2015NewMe2015
    2015NewMe2015 Posts: 3 Member
    i agree, the gym is ok but walking is the best exercise you can be doing at the moment and is cheaper, also look at your food intake to ensure you are eating the right foods and amount, have you been to your doctor for guidance?
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    How about adding free weights to your routine instead of using the machines? Maintaining muscle as you lose will help you in the long run.

I'm sorry about your set back, but kudos to you for stepping up to the challenge :)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    I know this is not what you ask for but i have the need to tell you this, please dont ever give up!!! You can do this, one day at a time, they are going to be badddd very bad days when one just want to quit and give up, but dont listen to those bad voices or toughts that some time come, fight for your life, for your health, you deserve the life you dream for yourself

In my weight i could perfectly join a gym and all but i dont because i like outdoors,and feeling free and just love to walk and walk till i cant.

You should be damn proud of you, you already found a way, walking and working out with a chair, that is just awesome! Keep doing it, and all those things that may bring you down, use it as fuel to reach you goal.

I can only wish the best!!

Kary
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    good luck and you are right....there is a lot of exercises that can be done in the house...even from a chair
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    I agree with what everyone else says about gyms... depressing places ;)

I'd keep up with the walking, enjoy the sunshine! Is there a pool near you, or perhaps even a lake now that summer is coming? Swimming would be another good choice, would be easier on your back.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Oh and btw i dont know why it just pop to my mind, have you ever seen the youtube video, the man who never gave up!? Omg so inspirational, please look it up.
  • slylee89
    Thanks for the replies guys, really nice. It hasn't deterred me and I'll keep on walking as much as I can and pick up some light weights when I have the chance.
  • slylee89
    karyabc wrote: »
    Oh and btw i dont know why it just pop to my mind, have you ever seen the youtube video, the man who never gave up!? Omg so inspirational, please look it up.

Watching that now, thanks for the name of it.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hi and congrats on the commitment to exercise and lose weight. You don't need to go to a gym to exercise well at home. As others have said, there are TONS of YouTube videos. Two of my favorites are Fitness Blender and Jessica Smith. You don't need to buy weights (for now) either... you can do body weight exercises, or use things around the house (a gallon of liquid weighs about 8 lbs.. so if you have an empty gallon jug, fill it up and use it as weights. Two half gallon jugs would be 4 lbs each). Do push-ups against the wall. Squats to the best of your ability. Arm circles are great for tightening up the arms and you don't need any equipment. Leg raises from your chair are also great.

Every little bit of extra movement you do is a step in the right direction. Stick with exercises you like and ones you'll actually do... no need to become discouraged from exercises that are too hard. And if you can't do them exactly as they are doing them in the video, improvise... just keep moving!!

Good luck to you.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Awesome to you for fighting for your fitness

Ok

You don't need a weight bearing machine to do the following things at the gym

Deadlift - best exercise some would say
    Squats - other best exercise in the game
    Standing doing arm curls
    Standing doing overhead presses
    Standing doing cross cable pulls for your chest
    Standing bent over rows

You pretty much worked your entire body there. Some good compound exercises and there are many more to add.

Another option...

Do they have a punching heavy bag? It may not be you want to be a fighter but just punching and kicking that thing is a cardio blast.

There are still lots of things for you to do.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would say keep eating in a deficit, keep walking, and before you know it you will be able to go to the gym.

can you get some small dumbbells and maybe use those from home for a while until you can go to the gym?

congrats on losing the weight so far. Remember, it is a marathon not a sprint. Eventually, you will get to where you want to be!

what a kind post. He speaks the truth, it's all about the deficit and youtube has loads of anything from chair zumba, to chair yoga, same with Pilates, weights etc. Might check the Goodwill type stores for some used small weights to use when doing Chair workouts to strengthen your bones and build back up the muscles a bit.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    On the bright side, you don't need a gym to workout. I do 95% of my workouts at home.

Walking is one of the best long term workouts out there. And its way better to walk outside where you can see lots of interesting stuff instead of trudging away on the treadmill.

I run (started with walking) a few times a week. I either go with my spouse and we can catch up on our day or I listen to books on tape. Both are really great ways to pass the time and enrich your life while you are out and about.

Me too. Before kids I went to the gym a minimum of 6 days a week. Now I go once a week, maximum of twice. You can do pretty much everything at home that you can do at a gym. Fitnessblender, JessicaSmith TV, workout dvd's, dumbells, kettlebell work outs, etc. You'll get there in time. Don't beat yourself up. With hard work and perseverance, you'll get to where you want to be.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    I agree with what everyone else says about gyms... depressing places ;)

I'd keep up with the walking, enjoy the sunshine! Is there a pool near you, or perhaps even a lake now that summer is coming? Swimming would be another good choice, would be easier on your back.

Pools are fantastic choices because they aren't so harsh on your joints and also your feet as you mentioned foot pain. Sometimes you can get a punch card.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Be calm and dont stress, it will just take a bit longer. Walking or swimming would be my suggestion, but gentle low impact execises at home can get you moving. You should also know even small weight losses early on can give you big health benefits. The time for the gym can come later. Pacing yourself and being your own friend are so important, focus on ding well or better each day and the rest will take care of itself. use the success forums to read about people who mave made the change.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Keep doing what you're doing. Eat at a deficit and keep walking. You'll be dropping those pounds in no time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Awesome to you for fighting for your fitness

Ok

You don't need a weight bearing machine to do the following things at the gym

Deadlift - best exercise some would say
    Squats - other best exercise in the game
    Standing doing arm curls
    Standing doing overhead presses
    Standing doing cross cable pulls for your chest
    Standing bent over rows

You pretty much worked your entire body there. Some good compound exercises and there are many more to add.

Another option...

Do they have a punching heavy bag? It may not be you want to be a fighter but just punching and kicking that thing is a cardio blast.

There are still lots of things for you to do.

OP - if you want to do this then by all means do. However, at your weight you may want to consider consulting with your DR prior to engaging in a lifting program with compound movements.