Iron intake

Options
After some quick research (Google) I found that women should take in ~18 mg of iron/day, and men ~8 mg. First of all, that's a HUGE difference. I find myself consistently hitting iron at 40-60% daily, with no real idea of what mfp has as the standard. This makes me concerned about a deficiency, but I can't find what mfp uses as the mg, just that they have a % daily value. Anyone know?

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    MFP is not an accurate way to monitor iron intake, Most database entries don't have that entered and iron is not legally required in most countries on food labels so it will in no way be accurate. If you have concerns go and get tested by your doctor. As for the calculation MFP use the RDA which I can't remember off the top of my head
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    MFP is not an accurate way to monitor iron intake, Most database entries don't have that entered and iron is not legally required in most countries on food labels so it will in no way be accurate. If you have concerns go and get tested by your doctor. As for the calculation MFP use the RDA which I can't remember off the top of my head

Absolutely check with your doctor! My sister and I thought it would be a good idea to take iron supplements because everyone just knows we all need more but that is not true. We both suffered from iron overload (and health problems) which took years to reverse.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement daily. Even after taking 27 mg and eating meat nearly every day I barely am able to donate platelets. That's how I monitor it - I go off of the blood center's readings. Women lose it so fast, I have no idea why.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This is good to know, I've been wondering the same thing about MFP's iron percentages.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cbirdso wrote: »

Absolutely check with your doctor! My sister and I thought it would be a good idea to take iron supplements because everyone just knows we all need more but that is not true. We both suffered from iron overload (and health problems) which took years to reverse.

This^

A daily multivitamin will not have 100% RDA of iron. In fact, look for a multi with a child proof cap to get any iron at all. A multi (with it's smaller dose)....should be fine.

My doctor prescribed iron supplements (the blood bank turned me away for donation). Anyway, the lowest dose of iron I found (stand alone iron supplement) was more than 300% of the daily requirement. Do not do this without a doctors advice.

Prepared cereals are often supplemented with iron. Add some Grapenuts to your yogurt, Have a bowl of raisin bran. Vitamin C will help your body absorb the iron.....add some strawberries to your spinach salad.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You will be able to tell when your iron levels are low (at least if it happens more than once). As a vegetarian (who doesn't always make the best food choices, which is why I'm here), I have experienced more than once. But! A lot of supplements that are iron only are too much; you can feel sick and nauseous. If you do worry, get a blood test done; it's fairly easy.

Last time I had low levels, I only had to take supplements for a short while to get my "iron stores" back up (or some such) and even though I don't take any kind of supplements now (and I still don't always make the best food choices) I feel good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    After some quick research (Google) I found that women should take in ~18 mg of iron/day, and men ~8 mg. First of all, that's a HUGE difference. I find myself consistently hitting iron at 40-60% daily, with no real idea of what mfp has as the standard. This makes me concerned about a deficiency, but I can't find what mfp uses as the mg, just that they have a % daily value. Anyone know?

When I log my Centrum Silver for Women (44% on Centrum's label)....MFP also says 44% That entry looks correct for iron (to me).

As Isul_kara pointed out.....there are many entries in MFP that are flat out wrong and there are international items as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

As others have said, this. I show up as low all the time, but that's because some of the iron I eat just doesn't get picked up--based on tests at my doctor I am not low (and based on my knowledge about my diet I would be surprised if I were).

I also echo the comments on not doing an iron-specific supplement unless advised to by a doctor. My mother has a condition where your body absorbs too much iron, so I was told that from a relatively early age (as it's more likely I would be found to have the same condition), but too much iron can be an issue for others too, for various reasons.