Too heavy for gym

Options
2»

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing! You can do it. One moment at a time. Stay positive :smiley: Better days are ahead!
  • moonpie83
    moonpie83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are doing a great job thus far! No need to beat yourself up about the weight gain, TRUST ME! I was doing such a good job about going to the gym, my eating; but then some difficult times arose in my life and I managed to gain all my weight back that I had lost and then some (a lot actually). so no need to worry about that, I think when you took the initiative to begin wanting to change; that was the most important step! Great job and keep doing what you're doing. After all, slow progress is better than no progress!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I commend you OP for wanting to lift, and as mentioned by others it is a marathon not a sprint. patience is key.

I do not want to make any assumptions but based upon your current weight have you been medically checked to see if strenuous exercise is suitable at this stage? such as a stress test-An exercise stress test is used to measure the effect of exercise on your heart.

I say this purely out of concern for your well being.
  • slylee89
    slylee89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I commend you OP for wanting to lift, and as mentioned by others it is a marathon not a sprint. patience is key.

I do not want to make any assumptions but based upon your current weight have you been medically checked to see if strenuous exercise is suitable at this stage? such as a stress test-An exercise stress test is used to measure the effect of exercise on your heart.

The last time I went to the doctor with regards to it, he just said "yup" and that was it. I'm going to take it easy, walking and chair based workouts until I've dropped a few pounds.

I would go swimming but the only available pool is very popular with kids and expensive (they get free passes) and summer holidays has just started.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I feel a lot better now.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Make sure you are sticking to your calorie goals daily and no cheating. I have a home gym because I just don't have the time to drive to and from a place where I can do the same thing at home. I have purchased my gym equipment from Amazon, Craigslist or garage sales. Start slow and keep adding on each week or when you feel like the current workout is too easy. Check out Fitness Blender (free workouts). Best of luck to you!!!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up!! Stick with it...diet and walk...the weight will come off and you'll be in the gym in no time! :)
  • jodiottensmann
    jodiottensmann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    slylee89 wrote: »
    I got two depressing realisations today:-

1, I am actually 501 pounds instead of 465

2, I'm 101 pounds too heavy for gym equipment

I know I've lost weight but that throw back to 501 is really demotivating but I guess I was even more than that before I could get the scales to work.

On the plus side I did a lot of walking despite back pain and found videos that allow workouts from a chair.

This post helped me ease my frustrations.

• jodiottensmann
    jodiottensmann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :) you can do it ONE day at a time....try a little bit of yoga too
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go to a gym.

The walking and the videos you've found are great!

This^

Just be consistent & you'll do great!

If you live in a climate with lots of weather changes....look for walking videos to do year round (Leslie Sansone & Jessica Smith).
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    slylee89 wrote: »

The last time I went to the doctor with regards to it, he just said "yup" and that was it. I'm going to take it easy, walking and chair based workouts until I've dropped a few pounds.

I would go swimming but the only available pool is very popular with kids and expensive (they get free passes) and summer holidays has just started.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I feel a lot better now.

In regards to the bolded quote, did your doctor say this after at least doing the bare minimum such as checking your Blood pressure, cholesterol levels, pulse, blood work (blood sugar levels) if not I recommend that you get a proper medical or a second opinion. Not trying to be an alarmist just trying to help you have a sturdy foundation to work off of.

Taking it easy is a good idea, maintain a calorie deficit and you will see the weight fall off.

Good luck OP!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    just adding movement and creating a calorie deficit will help
    congrats on your positive attitude and commitment to moving forward

I too do not use a gym. I walk and run and yoga. there are some great chair workouts available online.

remember this is one step at a time. and I'd say you are doing it :smiley: