Over eating

Options
I noticed today I was eating foods that contained a lot of calories for small portions. The bad thing is that I noticed an 1 later I was hungry so I ended up overeating calories. Has this happened to you in your MFP journey?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I think it happens to most people at first, until you learn to plan for more nutrient dense foods with larger bulk for fewer calories. Altering your macros to include more protein and fats and fewer carbs can also help. No need to go low-carb, but if you check the nutritional value of starchy carbs like rice, pasta and potatoes, or sugary carbs like cookies and cake, and compare that to non-starchy veggies, you'll see why it's wise to fill your plate up with those veggies. You can eat a ton of salad for the same calories as a single cookie.

Personally, I don't recommend eliminating all those starches and sugars either...restricting foods doesn't help you develop a good relationship with them. Eat all the things...in moderation, in the proper proportions.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    All the time!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Is it a bad thing?

Absolutely not.

Even though you might have difficulty meeting your daily goal, you're getting the bigger picture of how different food choices affect your big, long term goals.
  • dianaramirez1220
    dianaramirez1220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Is it a bad thing?

Absolutely not.

Even though you might have difficulty meeting your daily goal, you're getting the bigger picture of how different food choices affect your big, long term goals.

Thanks

• dianaramirez1220
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    All the time!

I quess is a learning process
  • dianaramirez1220
    Options
    I think it happens to most people at first, until you learn to plan for more nutrient dense foods with larger bulk for fewer calories. Altering your macros to include more protein and fats and fewer carbs can also help. No need to go low-carb, but if you check the nutritional value of starchy carbs like rice, pasta and potatoes, or sugary carbs like cookies and cake, and compare that to non-starchy veggies, you'll see why it's wise to fill your plate up with those veggies. You can eat a ton of salad for the same calories as a single cookie.

Personally, I don't recommend eliminating all those starches and sugars either...restricting foods doesn't help you develop a good relationship with them. Eat all the things...in moderation, in the proper proportions.

Thank you for the advice.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    This is why you should weigh and log all of your food before you eat it. That way you can think more about whether you really want that and are willing to accept that you might still be hungry when you have met your daily goal.

This takes some getting used to and some trial and error. Don't look at mistakes as failures. They are educational experiences. Loosing weight this way is as much about educating yourself about food as it is loosing weight.

• dianaramirez1220
    Options
    This is why you should weigh and log all of your food before you eat it. That way you can think more about whether you really want that and are willing to accept that you might still be hungry when you have met your daily goal.

This takes some getting used to and some trial and error. Don't look at mistakes as failures. They are educational experiences. Loosing weight this way is as much about educating yourself about food as it is loosing weight.

Thank you
  • mwall2
    mwall2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I over ate my calories this morning-- but I logged them anyway because I want to know how I'm doing good or bad. I haven't reached my calorie limit for the day but such a hefty bad calorie breakfast sure did put a large chunk out of my daily calorie intake.
    I definitely like the idea of logging meals before eating them-- I probably would have made better choices this morning, but this is a learning process. I can't change 23+ years of bad eating over night and you shouldn't that of yourself either. Be honest with yourself and log it all. We are all in this together!
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I noticed today I was eating foods that contained a lot of calories for small portions. The bad thing is that I noticed an 1 later I was hungry so I ended up overeating calories. Has this happened to you in your MFP journey?

All the time..... Also nibbles that end up being large portions, i.e. a few crisps ending up being the whole bag etc

Started calorie counting, so bad that I look at everything before I buy and eat lol

Problem are those that do not have it like fish and chips etc :|

Also started walking, trying to do at least 10k steps a day

I can't over exert/push myself due to epilepsy, but I am sure that once I get fitter, my epilepsy will also get better
  • dianaramirez1220
    Options
    mwall2 wrote: »
    I over ate my calories this morning-- but I logged them anyway because I want to know how I'm doing good or bad. I haven't reached my calorie limit for the day but such a hefty bad calorie breakfast sure did put a large chunk out of my daily calorie intake.
    I definitely like the idea of logging meals before eating them-- I probably would have made better choices this morning, but this is a learning process. I can't change 23+ years of bad eating over night and you shouldn't that of yourself either. Be honest with yourself and log it all. We are all in this together!

Thank you
  • dianaramirez1220
    Options
    wytey wrote: »

All the time..... Also nibbles that end up being large portions, i.e. a few crisps ending up being the whole bag etc

Started calorie counting, so bad that I look at everything before I buy and eat lol

Problem are those that do not have it like fish and chips etc :|

Also started walking, trying to do at least 10k steps a day

I can't over exert/push myself due to epilepsy, but I am sure that once I get fitter, my epilepsy will also get better

Good motivation