No progress

Options
2»

Replies

• kaysie_ly
    kaysie_ly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I following serving sizes according to quantity of what I'm eating but I do not have a food scale. I've been counting calories for a few months now but last month is when I recently had the time to have consist work outs. My weight will just go up and down around 5 pounds a month. I'm going to do research on more clean eating and foods that boast metabolism. If no progress in a month I'll probably make a doctors appointment.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'll repeat:
    1. Are you weighing your food on a food scale and logging accurately?
    2. How much have you lost since you started?
    3. How much are you trying to lose?
    4. How long have you been counting calories?

Quoted again to hopefully get specific answers this time.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    kaysie_ly wrote: »
    I following serving sizes according to quantity of what I'm eating but I do not have a food scale. I've been counting calories for a few months now but last month is when I recently had the time to have consist work outs. My weight will just go up and down around 5 pounds a month. I'm going to do research on more clean eating and foods that boast metabolism. If no progress in a month I'll probably make a doctors appointment.

You just identified your problem. Without a food scale, you're probably eating more than you think. And if you keep fluctuating around the same weight, it's probably because you're actually eating at or around your maintenance calories, not at a deficit. Eating 'clean' and trying to boost your metabolism will do nothing if you're eating too much. A food scale is the only way to be as close to 100% accurate as possible, serving sizes mean nothing.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

You aren't weighing your food, so pretty sure you're overeating. SImple as that. If you were eating in a deficit, you would be losing (unless you have an underlying medical condtion).
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

If you aren't losing, step one is to double check your logging accuracy. Weigh your food on a food scale. It's ridiculously easy to underestimate your food intake. Weigh your food and remove all doubt.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    your eating to much

Serving sizes and measuring cups is NOT weighing your food on a food scale!
    ( i hoped to see that in the flow chart like i said people always say YES when you aske if they weigh their food)

So weigh your food on a food scale...Dont go by serving sizes or 1 medium banana entrees! or use cups and spoons for measuring.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The thing is. When I was younger I would take some diet pills. They are dangerous. Look at the warnings they say drink with a full glass of water because they can get stuck in your throat and choke you. Also to watch for yellowing skin or eyes because they can shut down your liver. I'd rather not do that. Maybe try alli. It is FDA approved at least. But that doesn't mean it may not be dangerous. So still look into it before trying. Diet and exercise is much safer. Look at the above on possible issues.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The thing is. When I was younger I would take some diet pills. They are dangerous. Look at the warnings they say drink with a full glass of water because they can get stuck in your throat and choke you. Also to watch for yellowing skin or eyes because they can shut down your liver. I'd rather not do that. Maybe try alli. It is FDA approved at least. But that doesn't mean it may not be dangerous. So still look into it before trying. Diet and exercise is much safer. Look at the above on possible issues.

It may be FDA approved, but I'd advise against it. It doesn't speed up your metabolism. All it does is prevent fat from being absorbed by the body. This has a pretty horrible and embarrassing side effect.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP, what is your weight, height and age? This would help people figure out what might be going on.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Here a short video about weighing with cups and weighing your food on a food scale how much difference it can be HUNDREDS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • kaysie_ly
    kaysie_ly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    5'6 185lbs
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Since you have been doing this for a while, and if it is impossible for you to get a food scale and do this properly, cut your calorie goals by 300 or so and see how it goes after a few weeks. You are eating more than you think you are. Whatever your maintenance is, this is what you are averaging per day.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Since you have been doing this for a while, and if it is impossible for you to get a food scale and do this properly, cut your calorie goals by 300 or so and see how it goes after a few weeks. You are eating more than you think you are. Whatever your maintenance is, this is what you are averaging per day.

I don't see how cutting 300 calories will help her since she doesn't have a food scale. How will she measure the 300 calories to cut? She will still be estimating her intake without a food scale.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Its a logical conclusion actually if the OP is maintaining now.

These numbers are made up for example purposes, I'm not the OP... If I aim for 1500, but cannot/do not weigh my food and insist on estimating I could easily end up eating 2000 and maintaining. So aim to take 300 off, regardless of my estimating ability I'll cut back and be eating 2000 less what I cut back. Most likely at a deficit now if I was maintaining.
    aggelikik wrote: »

I don't see how cutting 300 calories will help her since she doesn't have a food scale. How will she measure the 300 calories to cut? She will still be estimating her intake without a food scale.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    To the OP: there is no magic secret to weight loss. Its a matter of consuming less and/or moving more. If what you're doing now is not working, its within your power to make changes. Going by the each or serving size is an easy way to eat more than you think.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... uhhh .... "metabolism".

Forget everything you think you know about that, OP.

It's wrong.

All of it.