Weird and surprising things about weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    On a lighter note:
    Less stomach surface area = more hair per square inch. But thankfully not "gorilla" hairy :smile:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I've lost 40 pounds in the past 8 months and just hit my goal weight for the first time today. Along the way, I've discovered that I have more energy, feel more comfortable in my own skin, and have gained both health and confidence.

However, there are just some *really* weird and unexpected things that happened, too. Such as:
    • My feet got smaller. So did my wrists. I've had to buy smaller shoes and resize my watch and bracelets.
    • I lost 3 or 4 clothing sizes everywhere else, but my underpants size stayed the same. How is that even possible?
    • Hiking is way more fun.
    • Compliments range from uncomfortable to annoying. I can't help but hearing even well-meaning comments as "wow, you were really fat before!"
    • On a related note, people keep trying to fix me up on dates. What, you didn't think I was worth dating before?
    • Those hard plastic seats on the metro are really uncomfortable without all that extra padding on my butt.
    • Shaving my underarms without cutting myself is much harder now.
    • I still can't shop in the regular clothing section. Weight loss or no weight loss, I'm still a short-torsoed 5'1" and only petites will fit properly.
    • People (especially men) hold doors open for me and make eye contact with me as I walk by. They used to not even notice me on the street. Now that I take up less space, they seem to actually see me.
    • I get drunk from far less alcohol. Really gotta watch that intake!

What weird or unexpected things have you noticed?

Seconding buying smaller shoes (I went down a half size to full size, depending on the brand I buy!), and trouble finding clothes. Generally stores don't carry pants in a 3, or dresses in a 0. Now it's become an adventure finding new stuff.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    My awesomeness increased 3 fold!!

@MrM27 how in the heck did you get back in jail???
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 30 lbs, and
    -my wrists and fingers got smaller (i dropped a ring size lol), and my hands are all fine and beautiful now. I love nice hands so that's a plus.
    -biking is now less comfy because I've got quite a lot of muscle on my thighs and butt...ow. this hard seat is hurting my skinny buns.
    -looks like i can jog endlessly like i'm made out of light little cloud fluff now ??
    -i can wear a croptop, eat a whole bunch at the restaurant with my friends, and still wear the croptop til the end of the night without thinking about it. i don't bloat as easily/as much anymore. hell yeaaa
    -my boobs only started to get smaller at the last 5 pounds (or maybe a little more) I was losing. So now my waist measurements are under 28 and I'm still a D cup or more. Try to find a goddamn bra that fits in a normal store, hint ; it's impossible. Now i have to spend a bunch of cash on tailored bras or go into more specialized lingerie store (which means pricier) :(
    -probably a bunch of other things i forgot. everything changed so much, i'd never have thought losing weight would make my life so different.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Here is my armpit shaving tip-- use a creme like Nair instead. Yes, it stinks to high heaven and you'll probably sing "we wear short shorts" while doing it but it works. Just use a timer because it can burn you if you leave it on too long.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    My awesomeness increased 3 fold!!

@MrM27 how in the heck did you get back in jail???

I think you mean "when did you get back in jail" cause we all know MrM doesn't sugarcoat things and some people 'round here can't handle truth unless it's all wrapped up nice and pretty so they'll start crying about abuse and white knights will come in to save the day.

~Lyssa
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Everything left over ( from restaurant or home) would never been thrown away.

I just freeze stuff... i give it away, or portion it out over some days.
    Or just open my window by a traffic light and give it to the poor guy standing out there waiting for somebody to give him something.

Please people dont throw your food away!! I understand you dont want to eat it. But there are hungry people around you.....everywhere!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I remember going down half a shoe size from my top weight, yeah, and the hard seat thing bothered me too.

Re being at a low end of normal BMI - I did not expect to clean up at sales. There are usually a lot more size 2s and 4s on the sales racks than there are 16s or 14s or 12s or 10s or 8s. I also didn't expect to look good in styles that previously didn't work so well. A slender pear looks a lot different in a tube dress than a larger pear does, even with roughly the same proportions. I could grab anything off a rack and it at least looked ok. (This stopped being the case when I regained some weight.)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

whatcha-got-there-jim-transport-proteins.jpg

:smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I also didn't expect to look good in styles that previously didn't work so well. A slender pear looks a lot different in a tube dress than a larger pear does, even with roughly the same proportions. I could grab anything off a rack and it at least looked ok.

A lot of the same styles that worked for me when I was larger still work best for me now that I'm smaller. Some things haven't changed; I'm still relatively pear-shaped, petite, with narrow shoulders and a short torso. So straight leg dark wash jeans or trousers with a cropped jacket still work well, as do v-neck tops, and a-line skirts and dresses that come to or just above the knee.

But... with my thinner arms, I can wear tank tops less self-consciously now. I can also get away with belted and cinched dresses at the waist, when beforehand they would just call attention to an area I was trying to disguise.

Some styles, like draped tops, turtle or crewnecks, anything too long and boxy without a defined waist, crop tops that require a long torso or show off the stomach, maxi or midi skirts, or skinny jeans/leggings, are still no-nos for me. And I still have to shop the (increasingly limited) petites section.

So yeah, it's a matter of finding what works for your new smaller body. I have more selection now and I like how I look in things more, but it's still not a smorgasbord. I'll never have the proportions of a fashion model, and I'm okay with that.
  • Sami76
    Sami76 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Awesome!
    I have lost 49 lbs in 5 and a half months. I have noticed large women now give me the stink eye. I hate the disappointed way people look at me when they ask what I'm doing and my reply is healthy eating and exercise because they want a quick fix. I have also noticed how rumors fly about me being a "puker"now to explain my weight loss despite lunch time runs to the gym and my significantly smaller meals. I also noticed no one noticed I lost weight until about 40 lbs.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    99lbs lost so far, 268lbs to 169lbs. A few weird things to me:

-I can feel my collarbones for the first time in my life. I find myself touching them constantly.. almost like I'm afraid they will disappear and Its really odd to me to feel my bones. I have a tail bone? Yeah I had to check my husband's butt to make sure it was normal and not some weird "growth" I've sprouted haha!
    -My feet haven't shrunk a bit. I was really hoping my huge hobbit feet would get smaller, but no luck.
    -I'm always shocked by my reflection in store windows, I still feel like the huge fat girl I've always been and I guess its taking my brain awhile to catch up.
    -There are actual pits in my arm pits now, ahhhhh that's why they are called arm pits! lol.
    -I am capable of hiking now without grasping for air and feeling like my heart will explode. Bonus my feet no longer hurt after shopping all day :)
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

[*]Those hard plastic seats on the metro are really uncomfortable without all that extra padding on my butt.

That is so true!!!!!!!!