Can you visualize what life will be like after you've reached your goal?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    About the only change will be I'll eat a more reasonable amount. More reasonable than before I started and more reasonable than while I was losing. Well, and some new clothes.

I still won't be able to go shirtless; I have too many scars.
    I still won't be able to buy much of my clothes in regular stores; I'm too tall for that.
    I still won't be able to fit very well in airplane seats; legroom was always the problem, not width.

People will still stare at me. People will still ask where I played basketball.

I guess I might live longer, but maybe not, and it's not like I'll ever know, anyway. I never defined myself in terms of my weight, or lack thereof, so that won't change. I'll still be me, with the same worries, concerns, bills, family, etc., there will just be less of me and my proportions will be different.

Ahem, some...some ladies might not mind this... :*
    Well, they make for good stories, but one of the "incidents" damaged the nerves and muscles in my abs, so I'll never again have a six pack. Maybe a three or four pack, time will tell.

On the up side, I did find out that the knife took a notch out of my ribcage, so I can now add a tactile segment to the storytelling.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My outside will finally match my mental image of myself.
    Looking in the mirror won't be so startling anymore.
    I will be able to recognize myself as me in pictures
    More importantly I am hoping that my joint pain will be much reduced.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I've never been at a proper weight my whole life. I have no clue what it will look like to reach my current goal weight (long term I intend to build more muscle that will involve going back up in weight).
    I currently feel like I have issues reconciling self-image. About a month ago, I started feeling weirded out about my hands - I've changed so much that they've lost a bit of size, the veins in the back of my hand are more prominent - it struck me that I literally didn't know the back of my hand any more. I'm still wondering when I'll be used to that.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'll finally be happy with who I see in the mirror.

I'll be healthier, and not too tired or in too much pain to play with my kid, or kids, depending on how life goes on this journey.

My daughter will see her mom as healthy, happy, and proof that you can do whatever you set your mind to, and be whomever you wish to be.

I'll finally stop hearing remarks like, "you'd be a pretty girl if you'd lose all that weight" from coworkers.

I'll finally, truly, and honestly love myself, instead of how I feel about myself now.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »
    Inspired by the feedback I've got from you in my last thread I have another set of questions for you:

Say you get to your goal weight; how will that change your life? What will you look like? How will your self image change? What will it feel like? How will your lifestyle change when you enter maintenance mode? What problems will you encounter? How will people respond? What new opportunities will you have?

I will answer later, first I'm curious about what you have to say! :)

It will be easier to do everyday things being 50 lbs lighter.
    It will be easier to buy clothes but I feel like I don't know what to get. I've gotten used to wearing clothes that cover and stretch and a limited slection and suddenly there will be everything. It is kind of overwhelming.
    I believe that I will have more energy and feel good. I hope to have reduced my risk of developing health problems. I will be more active.
    I may change my hairstyle and eyeglasses. I will mostly change my glasses because I need new ones but maybe a different style.
    I feel embarrased that people may do a big reaction- positive or negative- or ask a lot of questions. I don't see many people regularly so some people will not have seen me during the weight loss process at all and I haven't been posting or e-mailing about losing weight.
    I don't think my lifestyle will change much. I may go outside more doing gardening or walking.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Life (which is good already) will be the same. I'll just be out of breath less often, have less aches and pains, more energy, and take up less space which will be awfully convenient. Clothes shopping will be more fun.
  • Sami76
    Sami76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am only 20 lbs now from my goal. I have lost 50 in 5 months time. It has changed my life so far. I feel better, I look better. I love going to the beach and the pool. I am more active. I turn heads again and being almost 40 with 5 kids, that's saying a lot. I have more self confidence. People look up to me and want to know how I did it although they don't like the answer because it's not a quick fix. I have worked hard for it. I am healthier, my blood pressure is normal, my heart rate is in the 60's at rest now rather the 90's. I am no longer at risk for type 2 diabetes. I no longer shy away from family pictures, I want to be in them. People respond positively because I am more positive and confident. A few have been less enthusiastic because they gave up, and I have pushed on, but that's on them and no reflection on me. Losing 50 lbs has changed my life for the better. I am still me, but a happier, smaller, more active and healthier me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Inspired by the feedback I've got from you in my last thread I have another set of questions for you:

Say you get to your goal weight; how will that change your life? What will you look like?

It will be awesome.

rap-music.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Say you get to your goal weight; how will that change your life? What will you look like?

It will look awesome.

rap-music.jpg
    *heads off to lower his calorie intake plans for dinner*
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'll finally, truly, and honestly love myself, instead of how I feel about myself now.
    I wonder how many people thought this and then found it not to be true.

• teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm about 25 pounds from my goal of a healthy BMI and have noticed a few nice things.

I surprised myself last weekend walking up several flights of stairs without gasping for air, I could actually keep up a conversation the whole time. That was pretty amazing.

I've worn shorts in public a few times and the world didn't end. It's been a looooooong time since I've done that.

I've been at my goal weight before and don't expect my life to be much different than now. I'll probably have to keep paying a bit more attention to what I'm eating than I'd like and I'm sure the bathroom scale will continue to be a near daily habit.

I am looking forward to a bit of wardrobe rebuilding though. I got rid of all of my too small clothes back in January during an overly motivated de-cluttering spree.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can visualize it....because I was at my goal (below my original goal in fact). The problem I had was unrealistic expectations. I'm a pear at 155 pounds....and I was also a pear at 106 pounds (ugh...too low).

I no longer visualize wearing shorts....I visualize wearing capris & looking pretty decent in them. I liked feeling stronger, I liked having more energy. So - back to it....better health is my goal now.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's just fat cells, right? I'm not really expecting a thing to radically change.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Say you get to your goal weight; how will that change your life?
    I've been in maintenance for around 2 years now. What's changed for me:

-I'm no longer a pre-diabetic
    -all of my blood work has improved, including having a total cholesterol number of 150, triglycerides at a 49 etc

What will you look like? I'm a 36 yr old mom of three kids and frankly, I look pretty awesome now :D I'm definitely in the best shape, and the lowest weight, of my adult life. I love the definition I have in my arms, shoulders, back and stomach.

How will your self image change? I'm more comfortable in my own skin. I now own pairs of shorts for the first time since I was a kid. I now wear a swimsuit (a two piece at that), instead of wearing shorts and a tee-shirt to the beach and not going into the water. I feel a lot more confident during intimate times with my hubby.

What will it feel like? It feels pretty fantastic :)

How will your lifestyle change when you enter maintenance mode? Overall, it hasn't been that big of a deal. I'm still very focused on CICO and making sure I eat at the appropriate calorie range. I exercise now a few times a week (around 1.5 hours a week), which I never used to do. I also now spend a ridiculous amount of time on MFP because it's just so darn entertaining lol. But overall I haven't done anything major as far as making changes since I transitioned into maintenance.

What problems will you encounter? The biggest challenge is just the mental transition you have to make, from first being overweight, to then being in active weight loss mode, to then going into maintenance and realizing that this is where you're going to be at for the next 40+ years.

Along with that-there's so much info out there for how to lose weight, but very little on how to actually maintain successfully. It was pretty frustrating at first, trying to figure out what maintenance actually looked like.

How will people respond? I've had mostly positive feedback. I did get a few back handed criticism's disguised as compliments at the beginning (ironically from overweight people), but otherwise people have been happy for me. I do think there is some resentment among a couple of family members/friends. But that's on them, not me.

What new opportunities will you have? I've helped several family members/friends get started with their own weight loss journeys and that's been a neat experience :) I know of two that have actually stayed with it and are now maintaining, and there's a few that are in the process, including my mom.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that if people don't love themselves when they're fat, they won't love themselves when they're skinny.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Say you get to your goal weight; how will that change your life? What will you look like? How will your self image change? What will it feel like? How will your lifestyle change when you enter maintenance mode? What problems will you encounter? How will people respond? What new opportunities will you have?

hitting some relatively arbitrary number on a scale didn't change my life in the least...that said, nutrition and fitness have had profound impacts. I'm the healthiest and fittest I've been since I was in my 20s and rocking my nutrition and regular exercise are largely responsible for cleaning up all of my bad blood work.

I've been in maintenance for over 2 years...the only difference between maintenance and losing is a handful of calories...I eat well and exercise regularly.

I have not encountered any problems...not sure what you mean by "how will people respond"...and I wouldn't say I've had any opportunities come about simply as a result of losing weight.

I get the strong sense from being on MFP for going on 3 years that a lot of people think that losing some weight is going to cure all of their woes and everything will be right in the world and their lives are going to somehow be dramatically different than they are now...I see a lot of people disappointed when they get there.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've been at and under my goal weight a few times. Nothing really changes (not even my clothes) except my goal goes from getting to 145 on the scale to 145 on a bench press. (The latter being a very, very long way off, if it's even attainable for me. But you know, it's good to have something to shoot for.)

I did observe the other day that my "lounge clothes" at my heavier weights are big shirts and no pants, and my "lounge clothes" at lighter weights are pants and a tank bra. I haven't decided yet if that means anything about my body confidence, or if it just means that I haven't bought different kinds of pants since high school, and I shop for t-shirts in my 6'3 husband's closet...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Say you get to your goal weight; how will that change your life?

Well, I have 5 lbs to go, so probably not much.

However, thinking back to 95 lbs ago, I am happier because I am more active and energetic and (mostly) not using food for emotional purposes. Most important--and a change that actually came into effect way back when I'd only lost the first 30 lbs or so--I find that when I feel fit, like I have the stamina to run around outside or walk for long distances without my feet hurting or ride all over the city, I tend to feel much better about myself. Beyond that, just being regularly active tends to do amazing things for my state of mind and overall mood, on average, as well as how confident I feel.
    What will you look like?

Not much different, although I plan to keep working on improving fitness, gaining strength and muscle mass (ideally).
    How will your self image change?

It won't. Interestingly, one thing I've noticed both this time and when I lost weight before is that when I'm focused on doing things with my body, on being active, that I tend to feel pretty good about myself and much more confident in (or unbothered by) how I look, even well before I am at a place that I'd consider ideal. When I was younger I was convinced I was fat at 125 or 130 (I was not) and yet didn't have a clue about how to change that. Now I feel good at that weight (and am in better shape overall), but also felt pretty good at higher weights once I had taken charge and was active and working on improving myself.
    How will your lifestyle change when you enter maintenance mode?

It won't, but a trick will be to incorporate my active lifestyle into my social life. On the whole that's not too hard--I have joined some group training things to meet others interested in training for races and such and would like to check out more hiking-type groups, because my current group of friends aren't so into these activities. I am also a member of a CF box and have some friends from that who are into fitness in various ways, and I do think the importance of a social element to physical activity is one reason these kinds of groups are so popular.

The food part isn't so difficult, because it's common in my social circles to be into eating healthy, local eating, farmers markets and so on, so easy to find people who share my interests in that stuff.

New opportunities: I do think it helps with some work stuff to be seen as more normal weight.

Reactions: only positive.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No need for visualization, I have a calculator lol!

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/xc-racing-training/422994d1231522642-bike-weight-how-much-factor-watts-per-kilo-chart.gif

I'd jump up from 4.22 watts per kilo to about 4.9 watts per kilo at threshold. Not including any power gains made while training during weight loss. Amateur pro category here I come.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that if people don't love themselves when they're fat, they won't love themselves when they're skinny.

This... There are quite a few people that unfortunately think some small aesthetic stuff will make them love themselves more.