Gained 5 lbs! So discouraged:(

Options
I went away this weekend and really didn't go overboard my any stretch. However I did have some cheat meals as it was a girl scout weekend at a watermark and the food was very limited and peer pressure very high;(. I logged every bad choice and got lettuce wrapped grilled chicken but had fries, had an ice cream cone but I didn't binge. I've done MFP for almost 2 months. I eat a clean diet and workout hard and am very active daily. I've tried to eat an 80% clean diet and have kept my cals around 1540. But I have lost nothing and got on for my weigh in and I'm up 5 lbs! I'm sure some of it's water weight but SERIOUSLY! this is discouraging! I would love half pound gone! or understand a pound up! I got home Sunday morning and have been taking my green tea and drinking water like crazy but haven't lost any of it! Just feel like quitting:). Sorry for the rant!

Replies

• bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    its most likely to be water weight, and i know its hard not to get discouraged but i know you can do it and if you have been doing great so far dont let this get to you! keep your head up :)
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    Hang tight. It is a hard long process. My first two months, the scale did not budge. I lost some inches so the weight was moving around, but it took a while to get the weight to start coming off. Drink tons of water and just push through. I bet you will start seeing a loss any time now. Switch up your exercises to see if that will trigger some weight loss and water weight certainly can be discouraging. Good luck!
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Do not give up! I lost 14 pounds and three months ago I seriously injured my back requiring me to quit exercising completely and have had to get an epidural and take morphine for pain...The result I have gained 6 pounds back...

My doctor said I can finally begin to resume exercising in the next two weeks but by only starting with short walks as I can manage it...

Don't get stuck in the discouragement...You can do this...Jump back on the horse.

Good luck!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    You'll lose that 5lbs in 5 days if you drink your water and watch your sodium. I was up 6lbs this weekend and already in 2 days lost 4lbs of it :)

1 lb = 3200 calories and that is WITHOUT MOVING OR BREATHING OR ANYTHING ... you didn't gain 5lbs :)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Quitting solves nothing. Sounds like maybe you stalled. Have you tried changing your workouts? Like maybe if you do cardio for 20 minutes, increase it to 25 and add a minute each week. Also, if you intake too much sodium, that'll keep your body from retaining water. I'm not one for pity parties, but buck up! Rome wasn't built in one day.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Don't worry too much, it is really hard to gain 5 pounds over a weekend unless you tried very hard. It's water. It usually takes 2 to 3 days of drinking tons of water for me to flush out after a sodium filled weekend. DON'T give up :smile:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My friends and I have a saying for weekend weight gain like that: "Easy come, easy go". You'll shed those 5 lbs quick, and then some, probably. Just get back to your routine, and stay positive and confident. One weekend is not going to destroy your hard work, or even put a dent in it!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    5 lbs of weight isn't 5 lbs of fat-traveling always makes me swell up, don't worry about the scale and just stick with eating the right things and exercising.
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    . Switch up your exercises to see if that will trigger some weight loss and water weight certainly can be discouraging.

I can totally understand your frustration, hang in there. pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going!!
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give up... It's too easy to gain weight to give up;). But OMG it's so hard and challenging to lose anything but cheat at all and there it is, even if it's water weight! Sorry for the rant but I really do appreciate the encouragement
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options

1 lb = 3200 calories and that is WITHOUT MOVING OR BREATHING OR ANYTHING ... you didn't gain 5lbs :)

I love this!!!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Shake it off - tomorrow's a new day :)
  • Volleyballgal
    Volleyballgal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I bounce around in five-pound increments. For instance, I'll weigh myself and let's say I'm 195. I'll bounce from 195 to 199. And before I was bouncing around here, I was bouncing around at 200 to 205. Just stay steady, keep journaling, and don't quit.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My friends and I have a saying for weekend weight gain like that: "Easy come, easy go". You'll shed those 5 lbs quick, and then some, probably. Just get back to your routine, and stay positive and confident. One weekend is not going to destroy your hard work, or even put a dent in it!

And I am one of those [MFP] friends. I gained 11 from this weekend of debauchery and guiltless indulging. Lost 4.6 since yesterday. Trust me... it's not a true 5 pound gain. Really..."easy come, easy go."
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hang tight. It is a hard long process. My first two months, the scale did not budge. I lost some inches so the weight was moving around, but it took a while to get the weight to start coming off. Drink tons of water and just push through. I bet you will start seeing a loss any time now. Switch up your exercises to see if that will trigger some weight loss and water weight certainly can be discouraging. Good luck!

Did you up your cals/lower your cals/switch cals around?? Cardio changes? Or just kept keeping on? What finLly got the scale budging?
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options

And I am one of those [MFP] friends. I gained 11 from this weekend of debauchery and guiltless indulging. Lost 4.6 since yesterday. Trust me... it's not a true 5 pound gain. Really..."easy come, easy go."

Yup, my beer and pizza from this weekend made me gain a whopping 9 pounds. Lost it already.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Don't be sorry, we all have to rant sometimes. As long as you know what went wrong and move forward you'll be ok.
    Habit Defines: A behavior pattern acquired by frequent repetition or physiologic exposure that shows itself in regularity or increased facility of performance.
    " In The Art of War it is said that it takes 4 Seasons (1 year) to change a habit/develop a habit." I say it takes a LIFETIME; sometimes we only accept that when we realize that we are not ALL that we think we are. There is nothing about a Habit that says it is Perfect or fail safe.
  • teejies
    teejies Posts: 19
    Options
    Please dont be discouraged - I have just had my weigh in this week and have moved about 200 grams - after consistent weeks of 1 kg per week. I have become so upset it is ridiculous.

I then decided to gauge by my clothes.. of course they are still loose and getting looser. My head space was telling me I stuffed up but my body was telling a different story.
    I had not done much different, but as it is coming into Winter here in Australia, I am naturally looking at "warmer" foods, and trying to work them into my daily foods.

Drink more water - this is my downfall at the moment - I am only drinking about a litre at work instead of my usual two.

Jump back on the horse!! Drink more water - and dont be so hard on yourself - keep your chin up :)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options

My weekend BBQ put me up 3 on Monday, and I'm already down 2.5.

Yup, my beer and pizza from this weekend made me gain a whopping 9 pounds. Lost it already.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

*My weekend BBQ put me up 3 on Monday, and I'm already down 2.5.

*Fixed.

inb4lrn2quote. lulz.