When you feel like eating something bad...

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    The only way I get over a craving is to have what I'm craving. I tried the whole "eat something 'healthy' instead" and end up eating the 'healthy' food, then eating what I was craving and going over my calories.

I hate poutine, but it's not a "bad" food. If gravy wasn't the seed of Satan, I'd live at Smoke's.

I love poutine, and it's totally an unwise food to eat if what you want to do is lose weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    But for some of us, a normal meal is around 12-1400 calories ;) That was all I meant by my statement. Is that the best macro breakdown? Not really, but every once in a while....no problem. That being said, I didn't even know what that was until I googled it.

Hornsby, poutine is like a party in your mouth.
    It's heaven, on a greasy salty plate.
    It's proof that a food god exists.....and loves me.

Looking at the ingredients, this is definitely something I must try. Off to find recipes....
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I'd have the burger or pizza to get over the craving, then move on to the next day. Instead of eating half the pizza, I'd have a slice and a salad. I'd use the same concept with the burger. One meal isn't going to derail your weight loss :)

But yeah this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is no bad food, unless it's rotten. Make whatever it is that you're wanting fit into your allotment.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).
    Wait....I'm wrong.....there is 'good'....it's the taste!

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"
    By tomorrow, I usually have reevaluated and know it's just not worth it.

Disagree! What about mental health? Feeling deprived or demonizing food doesn't lead to a healthy relationship with food. While poutine is calorie dense, if you have the calories it could sure help you reach your fat macro (one I always have to go out of my way to reach) and could be a wonderful treat.

Knowing that if you fit it into a balanced diet (meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber) it's not magically unhealthy it has (protein fat and carbs, all things I need) or going to somehow make you fat (if you don't excede your calories). And knowing that means you can eat it without guilt (something I was riddled with if I ever lapsed while clean eating). It's about balance and sustainability and mental health! You really can have it all!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Pizza burger...double win! (as that's dinner tonight)

Seriously, though, I don't demonize any food. I have pizza about once a week and work it into my calories. Hamburgers are a bit trickier, so I usually only save them for when I'm out to eat.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I love donuts...I just ate one a few minutes ago....Work the calories in, its one meal for one day..There are 6 more day in a week to offset the extra calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    The only way I get over a craving is to have what I'm craving. I tried the whole "eat something 'healthy' instead" and end up eating the 'healthy' food, then eating what I was craving and going over my calories.

I hate poutine, but it's not a "bad" food. If gravy wasn't the seed of Satan, I'd live at Smoke's.

I love poutine, and it's totally an unwise food to eat if what you want to do is lose weight.

Why unwise?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    well i could be boring and say eat it in moderation and fit it into your calorie allowance. Most common if I really felt like it then id have it and if it was over then id exercise the rest of it off.

I dont demonise food, just make myself aware that certain foods have more calories, sometimes its good to have a splurge, but most of the time im patient.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you feel tempted to hit up the local pizza or burger place? I have been doing well and have lost 17 lbs, but I am really craving something I know I shouldn't have. How do I resist the cravings?

There are not good or bad food, there is only food.

When I feel like hitting up a fast food place or a restauarant, I work it into my calorie goals.

You are craving becasue you are depriving yourself of foods you love. Work foods you love into your calorie goals.
  • tomatoey
    edited June 2015
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"

Disagree! What about mental health? Feeling deprived or demonizing food doesn't lead to a healthy relationship with food. While poutine is calorie dense, if you have the calories it could sure help you reach your fat macro (one I always have to go out of my way to reach) and could be a wonderful treat.

Knowing that if you fit it into a balanced diet (meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber) it's not magically unhealthy it has (protein fat and carbs, all things I need) or going to somehow make you fat (if you don't excede your calories). And knowing that means you can eat it without guilt (something I was riddled with if I ever lapsed while clean eating). It's about balance and sustainability and mental health! You really can have it all!

Depends. If you've got a high level of activity or just a high TDEE for whatever reason, sure it's fine, whatever whenever.

If you're stuck with 1300 or 1500 calories and blow 1000 on one meal, you're probably going to feel like crap with only 300-500 calories left for all your other meals and just fat and carbs a teensy bit of protein fuelling you. I do it now and then, to hit a craving, for sure. And I don't demonize any food. But it's just not a smart choice to make on a regular basis.

I also routinely pass on (but do not demonize) jerk chicken, chicken passanda with naan and rice, and thai green chicken curries because I know I would feel like crap if I actually hit my calorie target. And in fact I always choose to not feel like crap, so on the days I do have those things, I just go over (even with substitutions, sometimes) and start again the next day. And that's fine every now and then, but it's way too easy to make a habit of it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    But for some of us, a normal meal is around 12-1400 calories ;) That was all I meant by my statement. Is that the best macro breakdown? Not really, but every once in a while....no problem. That being said, I didn't even know what that was until I googled it.

Hornsby, poutine is like a party in your mouth.
    It's heaven, on a greasy salty plate.
    It's proof that a food god exists.....and loves me.

I have to find out what poutine is too. Never heard of it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I demonize beets, pecans, sauerkraut, and steak beyond medium rare. And medium rare is hanging by a thread.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat it! If it is too late to make it work into my calories that day then I figure it out for the next day or that weekend. I usually log the night before anyway so I play with the numbers so I can have what I want.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Poutine.JPG
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I'm not saying it doesn't taste delicious.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    I buy it and ask whoever I'm with if they want a piece or I'll just take five bites and throw it out.

Seriously? Why waste food? Save it for another day or fit a whole slice into your calories.

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    errollm wrote: »

Depends. If you've got a high level of activity or just a high TDEE for whatever reason, sure it's fine, whatever whenever.

If you're stuck with 1300 or 1500 calories and blow 1000 on one meal, you're probably going to feel like crap with only 300-500 calories left for all your other meals and just fat and carbs a teensy bit of protein fuelling you. I do it now and then, to hit a craving, for sure. And I don't demonize any food. But it's just not a smart choice to make on a regular basis.

I also routinely pass on (but do not demonize) jerk chicken, chicken passanda with naan and rice, and thai green chicken curries because I know I would feel like crap if I actually hit my calorie target. And in fact I always choose to not feel like crap, so on the days I do have those things, I just go over (even with substitutions, sometimes) and start again the next day. And that's fine every now and then, but it's way too easy to make a habit of it.

So you missed the part where I said

"Knowing that if you fit it into a balanced diet (meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber)"

Fitting it in may require a half portion, or quarter portion. And "meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber", means adding whatever portion you choose would bring you to at least your daily minimums of protein etc.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Totally agree with the first part of this!!! I used to do exactly the same! Now, I recognise a real craving from just a 'temptation'.....if it the latter, I know I will get over it. If it the former, then it just has to be put to bed,,,,,by having whatever it is I am desperate for. As others have said, you have to make room in your life for the food you enjoy....it is a lifestyle and a habit you are aiming for after all and as soon as you start feeling deprived then you know it ain't going to work,,,,,,,

Don't ban anything you love,,,,,,just work round them and work them into your overall plan, Win win!!

It is so easy to end up being frightened of food, but try not to be. Have that pizza, that burger,,,,,just enjoy it and make the most of it and do your best to keep within your cals. But no biggie if you a bit over,,,,,,C'est la vie!!!

Best of luck, OP.