Is A Calorie Really A Calorie?

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip and Manwiches both suck.

If you have ground beef and hamburger buns, make a freaking hamburger. With mustard.

(deli or Dijon)

yellow mustard is for savages
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    amwood1528 wrote: »
    To answer your question, yes, a calorie is a calorie. However, what you eat depends on how the food effects your body. For example, in the documentary, Fed up, they used 160 calories of almonds and compared it to 160 calories of Coke. Yes, it's the same amount of calories but the coke produces a lot of sugar that turned into fat, while the almonds produced fiber. So, you can eat 3,000 calories of veggies and fruits and be fine compare to 3,000 calories of processed fatty foods. Calories are a form of measurement however.
    Body turns sugar into fat :s
    Turning carbohydrates into fat is de novo lipogensis, and while humans can do it, it is generally a metabolic pathway of last resort.
    Almonds actually contain a ton of fat.
    Nevermind that if you're eating almonds in the United States, chances are they're already a processed food.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If you can't throw in advertising tag lines now and again, what's the point. But, damn, Miracle Whip makes me think it's mayonnaise gone bad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If you have ground beef and hamburger buns, make a freaking hamburger. With mustard.

Correct answer.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

If you have ground beef and hamburger buns, make a freaking hamburger. With avocado and bacon.

FIFY

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If you can't throw in advertising tag lines now and again, what's the point. But, damn, Miracle Whip makes me think it's mayonnaise gone bad.

A calorie is a calorie. Unless it comes from miracle whip in which case it's a spawn of satan.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

If you have ground beef and hamburger buns, make a freaking hamburger. With avocado and bacon.

FIFY
    Additional elements are additional. You have to start with the baseline.

• JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    amwood1528 wrote: »
    To answer your question, yes, a calorie is a calorie. However, what you eat depends on how the food effects your body. For example, in the documentary, Fed up, they used 160 calories of almonds and compared it to 160 calories of Coke. Yes, it's the same amount of calories but the coke produces a lot of sugar that turned into fat, while the almonds produced fiber. So, you can eat 3,000 calories of veggies and fruits and be fine compare to 3,000 calories of processed fatty foods. Calories are a form of measurement however.

So true! ^^^
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    First off - haven't read the 3 other pages of replies so this may be redundant. You said something about getting on a plane. Did you fly somewhere and then you all started this conversation? Reason I ask is because if you were on "vacation" you may be more active then you were at home. Different scale could make a difference too at first. Also you were eating more fiber as per the things you said you were eating which does affect mass that is in our body - ie. water and stool. If you were eating higher calories than normal but exercising more then maybe you were burning them off. Boyfriend does walk 2 miles apparently every night - did you join him? A change in activity can cause your body to drop some of the mass that it was holding and that would show as a small drop on the scale. Just a thought. I do believe in the other posts - a calorie is a calorie but for what is best for the body then those calories are not equal. Have you studied intuitive eating? This may be a solution for a while for you. Eating only when hungry and finishing when satisfied. As an alternative to obsession over the calorie counting.
  • senecarr
    Options
    This thread is about proving apples won't cause weight gain by making an apples to oranges comparison.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

(deli or Dijon)

Pardon me,
    article-2281093-17AD9F2A000005DC-942_634x343.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

(deli or Dijon)

Pardon me,
    article-2281093-17AD9F2A000005DC-942_634x343.jpg

I don't know what the hell Grey Poupon really is, but it ain't mustard.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Miracle whip sounds like cream in a can

Why would you put that on a sandwich?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

oh you know

6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Isn't it basically like the US version of salad cream?

I don't eat either, though.
  • senecarr
    Options

oh you know

6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg

Thought that pic was for why do prolonged cardio.