How do I know what to set my macros at?

venuila
venuila Posts: 190 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Sorry if that's a stupid question, don't really know much about them or where they should be and why, etc.
I have only been on mfp for about two months now. I've done two rounds of 21 Day Fix and currently doing Insanity. Didn't follow the suggested meal plans but have been sticking to my own 1200-1300 calorie diet. Never really paid attention to my macros but they are peaking my interest now.
I've lost 14 lbs and 16 inches since I've started but have another 25 to go. 10lbs 10 inches came from my first round of 21 df so seem to be slowing down now and am wondering if playing around with my macros would help.
Any advice? Or links on where I should start reading?
Thanks!:)

Replies

• Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Protein : 0.8-1g per lean body weight lb (1g is 4 calories)
    Fat : 20 - 30% of total calories comes from here. Should be around 33g for a calorie total of 1200. (1 g is 9 calories).
    Carbs : whatever amount of calories are left over can go to carbs (1g is 4 calories, except for alcohol)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Fat = .2 x BW
    Carbs = 1 x BW
    Protein = 1.2 x BW
  • venuila
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    FitBeto wrote: »
    Fat = .2 x BW
    Carbs = 1 x BW
    Protein = 1.2 x BW

For females who are not lifting I guess 0.8 * be is enough.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Protein : 0.8-1g per lean body weight lb (1g is 4 calories)
    Fat : 20 - 30% of total calories comes from here. Should be around 33g for a calorie total of 1200. (1 g is 9 calories).
    Carbs : whatever amount of calories are left over can go to carbs (1g is 4 calories, except for alcohol)

^This is pretty much it.
  • madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    I'm currently losing body fat for definition
    I use:
    .8 for protein
    .45/5 for fat
    Then just vary carbs spending on if I'm bulking or trying to lose fat. Bulking I use my remainer for carbs. When trying to lose weight I reduce my carbs a bit and up fats and protein to say .9-1 protein
    .6 maybe .7 for fats, you may need to play around I bit first
  • madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    I'm currently losing body fat for definition
    I use:
    .8 for protein
    .45/5 for fat
    Then just vary carbs spending on if I'm bulking or trying to lose fat. Bulking I use my remainer for carbs. When trying to lose weight I reduce my carbs a bit and up fats and protein to say .9-1 protein
    .6 maybe .7 for fats, you may need to play around I bit first
    Oh all of this is per pound of body weight
  • venuila
    Thank You @bcomingfitmom , @madmaddox719.

I never really paid attention to them before but now that I will be making an effort to eat more protein and less carbs I hope to see a significant difference.