protein shake recommendations

Options
I was thinking protein shakes/powders might be a good way to go to get my morning protein....otherwise I'll eat all carbs. Are there any you all like and recommend?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why not do eggs and potatoes and veggies in a scramble? But, to the topic, Meijer has the Body Fortress brand that tastes decent and isn't expensive. I really like Dymatize Iso 100, but it can be pricier. It's not a meal replacement, though, so I wouldn't have it be your whole breakfast.meither have it with your oatmeal or whatever, or add milk, berries, spinach, avocado, etc. for a more nutritious smoothie.
  • PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have to go to protein shakes that are both approved for competitions (i.e. anti-dopping) my go to one is Whey to go Protein in Chocolate. SinceI can't find that one for a reasonable price in Europe I recently started taking Isopure Low Carb Chocolate - Protein Powder. They are both really good, but if you can find it I would really recommend the Whey to Go it really taste like a hot chocolate if you heat it up.

But Why not go for a breakfast of whole foods? I mean real foods. The shakes are great after/before a workout but if have time to make a real breakfast, I would definitively suggest that.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    "Fitmiss" and "Her Whey" are good protein powders made specifically for women. They're low calorie and have a pretty good amount of protein per serving. My gf loves the fitmiss powder, she hasn't tried the other but I've heard great things.

Protein shakes in the morning are ok, but you should probably add in some carbs for breakfast to help you get your energy levels up. Making a smoothie with protein powder is great and there are tons of recipes that you can find that have a good balance of fat/protein/carbs.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    For breakfast workdays I have Fitness Labs 6-Protein blend in chocolate shake with a serving of the powdered peanut butter. Yummy!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I like the premier protein vanilla ones that are premade. The chocolate ones are ok, but vanilla ones are yummy! Easy grab and go, for not a ton of calories, 3 or four carbs, and 30 protein. Sometimes I blend one with a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and it's heavenly.
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love UMP by Beverly international. its the first one that I have found that I love the taste with just water and no milk. it fills me up quick and digest easily. you can look up Beverly international online. they have a great customer service dept and ship quickly. I live in Indiana and get it the next day. I refuse to run out.
  • da2youdes
    da2youdes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like OhYeah! Chocolate Shakes. They taste a lot better than others I have tried. You can find them in most grocery stores or on Amazon.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, I don't know of any scientific study that proves the efficacy of supposed his/her protein supplements. Really, it's about what's most effective for you.

The considerations, to me, are:

a) taste
    b) ratio of grams of protein to serving size (don't let the superficial claims on the label fool you, and make sure you actually read the fine print - "NOW WITH 35g OF PROTEIN!" means little to nothing when the serving size is 80g)
    c) rate of digestion - are you looking for something faster-digesting, such as whey (likely what you're looking for in a morning or post-workout shake), or casein (slow-digesting - generally consumed at night, before bed)

Really, you should just find one you like, and stick with it. Muscle for Life has a great article on this exact question:

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-best-protein-powder-for-women/
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow. ...lots of great ideas and suggestions. ..thanks everyone :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I like the premier protein vanilla ones that are premade. The chocolate ones are ok, but vanilla ones are yummy! Easy grab and go, for not a ton of calories, 3 or four carbs, and 30 protein. Sometimes I blend one with a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and it's heavenly.

I second the Premier protein shakes from Costco. But I prefer the chocolate ones. I'm not a fan of vanilla. It tastes like melted ice cream.
  • ysullivan7
    ysullivan7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take ISO100 smooth banana and it's pretty good. But if your looking for a meal replacement a slower digesting could do you better like casein protein. :)
  • vrpeacestar
    vrpeacestar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control protein. It's only 100 calories and has 17 grams of protein. It doesn't have a lot of sugar, but it still tastes pretty good.
  • ChrisGood412
    ChrisGood412 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kansas_km wrote: »
    I was thinking protein shakes/powders might be a good way to go to get my morning protein....otherwise I'll eat all carbs. Are there any you all like and recommend?

June 4, 2015 11:29AM
    Here's the secret... Ready? Perfect for getting your nutrients and leaning out/staying lean!

1 cup of unsweetened Almond Milk
    8 ice cubes ( I just like it with a lot of ice to make it thicker)
    1-2 scoops of Epiq isolates preferably vanilla (Epiq is the cleanest whey protein, for every scoop it's 100 calories 20g of protein and 3g carbs no sugar)
    1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil ( great source of mono/polyunsaturated fats)
    1 teaspoon of flax seed oil (same reason as sesame seed oil)
    1 cup (lid of bottle) of L. Carnitine by Pro Supps ( speeds up metabolism)
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    1/3 cup of Crazy Monkey Gingerbread White Chocolate granola (has actually very little sugar 8g and it's the best tasting granola I've ever had)
    1 table spoon of Cinnamon for flavor

All of of this has around 300-400 calories depending on how you make it! It has been the staple of my weight loss as I went from 225 lbs down to 158 since the winter! Given I made it up myself from trial and error but it's about as clean as you can get! Hope someone tries it as for all of my friends love it and have started using this recipe!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like Syntrax - chocolate truffle, peanut butter cookie, Caribbean cooler, Crystal sky, twisted cherry, strawberry.
  • Ithlilian86
    Ithlilian86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What most people don't consider with the protein powders that they think taste so amazing is that the sweetness is coming from sucralose. Fake sugar leaves a bad taste in my mouth for hours and doesn't sit well with me. I've only found one brand of protein powder in the chain stores around here that doesn't contain sucralose (Target, Walmart, grocery stores) and that's Designer Whey from Target, which has stevia instead.
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do 1 scoop of Eas Soy Protein powder (chocolate)
    1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 banana
    1 tbs peanut butter
    1 cup almond milk
    1 handful of spinach

Its so yummy and tastes just like dessert. Its anywhere between 350-400 calories depending on the peanut butter you use