Fitness tracker - which one do you use?

Options
Akibo23
Akibo23 Posts: 88 Member
Hello,

I am trying to invest in a fitness tracker to help track my running pace and monitor my heart rate. It would definitely be a bonus if I could get one that is compatible with Samsung. Heard some good reviews about the Fitbit range. Which ones are you using and which would you recommend ?

Cheers !

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Tracking pace means you need something with GPS. Options are either a dedicated device, like a Garmin or a phone app with HRM. A FitBit, per se, isn't what you're after unless you go to the expensive end of the range where you'd be as well buying a Garmin or Polar.

Personally I use a Garmin Forerunner.

App options include Endomondo, Runkeeper, Strava or MapMyFitness. A BLE HR strap from Polar should integrate.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    Tracking pace means you need something with GPS. Options are either a dedicated device, like a Garmin or a phone app with HRM. A FitBit, per se, isn't what you're after unless you go to the expensive end of the range where you'd be as well buying a Garmin or Polar.

App options include Endomondo, Runkeeper, Strava or MapMyFitness. A BLE HR strap from Polar should integrate.

Thanks for the answer. I am considering a Polar v800 now. I will compare that versus a Garmin.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use the V800 with H7 sensor and love it, but the M400 also comes with gps. I like having gymlink so it connects to most cardio equipment to display my heart rate, and control the levels/incline. I know they have an app for android, but not sure if it will sync to MFP yet, but they are working on it.
  • nccumpa1
    nccumpa1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Fitbit (Charger HR) this weekend and I really like it. It synchs easily with MFP, so I can get a total picture of what I've been doing and it can easily control the music on my iPhone. I am totally addicted to the Fitbit!! Sadly, I don't know much about the others on the market.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    I use the V800 with H7 sensor and love it, but the M400 also comes with gps. I like having gymlink so it connects to most cardio equipment to display my heart rate, and control the levels/incline. I know they have an app for android, but not sure if it will sync to MFP yet, but they are working on it.

DH is hooked on the V800 as well and is routing for it. I am a bit confused if I should go in for something a bit simpler.

• Akibo23
    Options
    nccumpa1 wrote: »
    I purchased a Fitbit (Charger HR) this weekend and I really like it. It synchs easily with MFP, so I can get a total picture of what I've been doing and it can easily control the music on my iPhone. I am totally addicted to the Fitbit!! Sadly, I don't know much about the others on the market.

Fitbit Charge HR was investigated but I did not quite like how it displayed data and its inaccuracy. Maybe I did not set it up well enough but i was not impressed. Will look into the other Fitbit trackers :)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I've found the polar products very simple to use. Once you enter your information, and do the Orthostatic test, and fitness test, you're pretty much set. When you want to record an exercise you pull up that profile and hit record. The only draw back is like what all arm based activity trackers, the step counts aren't as accurate as a hip based pedometer. I also like the fact that it will only sync when I tell it too.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    M400 is my love!! helps me control my pace and measure my progress
  • Akibo23
    Options
    I've found the polar products very simple to use. Once you enter your information, and do the Orthostatic test, and fitness test, you're pretty much set. When you want to record an exercise you pull up that profile and hit record. The only draw back is like what all arm based activity trackers, the step counts aren't as accurate as a hip based pedometer. I also like the fact that it will only sync when I tell it too.

I will most likely use a chest strap HRM and sync that to the watch band to get an accurate reading :) Thanks for the recommendation
  • Akibo23
    Options

Polar devices seem popular I shall go check them out :)
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Buy a Garmin Device (Fenix 2, Edge 510 or many other choices as well), it'll make all other devices seem like the toys that they are!
  • Justinelovezumba32
    Justinelovezumba32 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin vivofit. Not only does it track my calories, but it track my steps, heartrate and sleep pattern. I never take it off!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Akibo23 wrote: »

Polar devices seem popular I shall go check them out :)

Garmin or Polar are the market leaders, in the various classes they swap top spot on a regular basis.

Check dcrainmaker.com for his very comprehensive reviews
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Chain_Ring wrote: »
    Buy a Garmin Device (Fenix 2, Edge 510 or many other choices as well), it'll make all other devices seem like the toys that they are!

Why would you recommend a multisport watch and cycling computer to a person looking for running pace?
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Akibo23 wrote: »

Thanks for the answer. I am considering a Polar v800 now. I will compare that versus a Garmin.

Take a look at the Polar M400, I wear it everyday. Accurate pedometer and awesome for GPS. Battery life is amazing, I can go 3 weeks on 1 charge using GPS 2x week for an hour. It's compatible with my Note from Samsung and came with the Polar H7 HR monitor from amazon at $159. A great tracker.
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Garmin vivofit has worked well for me
  • Akibo23
    Options
    I have the garmin vivofit. Not only does it track my calories, but it track my steps, heartrate and sleep pattern. I never take it off!

I like how sleek the vivofit looks but DH isn't convinced and is still routing for V800 or the likes.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    Garmin or Polar are the market leaders, in the various classes they swap top spot on a regular basis.

Check dcrainmaker.com for his very comprehensive reviews

Thanks for the link. Will check it out!
  • Akibo23
    Options
    Take a look at the Polar M400, I wear it everyday. Accurate pedometer and awesome for GPS. Battery life is amazing, I can go 3 weeks on 1 charge using GPS 2x week for an hour. It's compatible with my Note from Samsung and came with the Polar H7 HR monitor from amazon at $159. A great tracker.

Sounds great ! I will however mainly use it to track my runs outside, on the treadmill and HIIT workouts.
    Compatibility to Samsung / android devices is a bonus :)
  • Akibo23
    Options

Why would you recommend a multisport watch and cycling computer to a person looking for running pace?

I would mainly use it to track running and HIIT workouts. An occasional hike and cycling trip might be thrown into the mix but it is definitely not a weekly activity for the moment. What do you recommend ?