im trying to keep my 6 pack but also put on muscle mass also I'm 5'10 150lbs. suggestions?

Options
So im currently eating 100 grams of fat, 114 grams of protein, 90 grams of carbs, 1600 calories. I eat 4 eggs, a serving of plain greek yogurt, a banana, apple, and a glass of milk for breakfast. I snack 3 hours after on a serving of almonds. Lunch i have either chicken or fish with broccoli or spinach. I eat half a bell pepper and half an avocodo 3 hours after. Dinner i have the same as lunch but switch the meat and veggie. I have the other half of the bell pepper and avocodo 3 hours after dinner. I drink a gallon of water throughout the day. Any suggestions please let me know what to change or what to do with my diet.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to put on muscle without bulking and cutting you will have to go for a slow body recomposition so eat at or around maintenance

there's a thread in maintenance on body recomp
  • asingh37
    asingh37 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So is there anything you see i should add or take out of my diet?
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    lift weights
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think your carbs are too low personally

Protein at 0.64 - 0.82g per lb bodyweight minimum
    Fats at 0.35g per lb bodyweight minimum

and for hypertrophy you need to not be eating at a defecit whilst you are following a progressive lifting programme

You're a 21 year old man - eat MORE
  • asingh37
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    lift weights

I do.lol
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    asingh37 wrote: »
    lift weights

I do.lol

But you aren't eating enough to gain muscle

what do you think your muscle is going to built out of if you're eating at a defecit?

eat more
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    according to scooby you should be eating about 1000 more calories a day

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • asingh37
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lift weights

I do.lol

what do you think your muscle is going to built out of if you're eating at a defecit?

eat more

So what should i eat then? Because i used to eat whatever and just workout and i would be fine but i blew my acl and havent hit the gym like i used to ever since. I used to not give a worry about what i ate but now i dont lift often i just do a variety of push ups and pull ups one day and the next i do cardio.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    lift weights

I do.lol

eat more

So what should i eat then? Because i used to eat whatever and just workout and i would be fine but i blew my acl and havent hit the gym like i used to ever since. I used to not give a worry about what i ate but now i dont lift often i just do a variety of push ups and pull ups one day and the next i do cardio.

What? How is that a muscle-building programme?

OK

You need to eat 2600 calories a day minimum (see scooby link above)

You need to follow a progressive lifting programme: see http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ for a good beginner's basic programme ... there are others like ice cream fitness etc

You are a 21 year old male - now is the prime time to be building muscle

• Sued0nim
    Options
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So im currently eating 100 grams of fat, 114 grams of protein, 90 grams of carbs, 1600 calories. I eat 4 eggs, a serving of plain greek yogurt, a banana, apple, and a glass of milk for breakfast. I snack 3 hours after on a serving of almonds. Lunch i have either chicken or fish with broccoli or spinach. I eat half a bell pepper and half an avocodo 3 hours after. Dinner i have the same as lunch but switch the meat and veggie. I have the other half of the bell pepper and avocodo 3 hours after dinner. I drink a gallon of water throughout the day. Any suggestions please let me know what to change or what to do with my diet.

The two bits of actually useful information are the ones that are missing!

What is your training regime?
    Are you actually gaining weight with your diet? At 1600 calories (net or gross?) I doubt it.

The rest of your post is just noise I'm afraid! That you eat bell peppers and drink a load of water is frankly irrelevant detail.
    Have a look in the Gaining Weight forum and find the beginner's guide to bulking. (ETA - see link above)

Assuming that as you are lean and actually want to gain overall mass (i.e. get heavier) not just muscle mass (you don't state which)....

The simple answer to your "trying to keep my 6 pack but also put on muscle mass also I'm 5'10 150lbs. suggestions" question is eat enough to very, very slowly gain weight over time and train hard, preferably with a hypertrophy focussed programme.

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ Great answer!!!

Im a woman, 29 years old, and weigh around 153lbs at the minute.

Who told you to eat 1600 calories? You need to eat a lot more calories and lift heavy weights.

Try adding the below into your diet:-

Sweet potatoes
    Avocado
    Peanut butter
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Cottage cheese
    Nuts
    Lots of veggies
    Berries, Stawberries, Blueberrys
    Oats
    Brown rice
    Brown pasta

The above are all good fats, good carbs etc, And should help with you adding extra calories into your diet.

For you to get to your goal........Eat more! Trust me you will see better results. Take before & after pics from today :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    or doughnuts

• dobryiguk
    dobryiguk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Bud !!! What you wanna get from this poor diet??? If you wanna grow forever long to put 10 lb, keep this plan.
    And same time mess up one day and you loose all progress ! With such a fast metabolism I would recommend increase proteins, completely more than before, 200 g at least. Next step carbs, keep 150 no sugar, only good carbs, and 100 fat is fine. Look on what you do and what you getting. Do cardio every other day and if u feel u loose abs, lover fats and carbs a little. Good health carbs and fats only. Proteins + supplements !!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    dobryiguk wrote: »
    Hey Bud !!! What you wanna get from this poor diet??? If you wanna grow forever long to put 10 lb, keep this plan.
    And same time mess up one day and you loose all progress ! With such a fast metabolism I would recommend increase proteins, completely more than before, 200 g at least. Next step carbs, keep 150 no sugar, only good carbs, and 100 fat is fine. Look on what you do and what you getting. Do cardio every other day and if u feel u loose abs, lover fats and carbs a little. Good health carbs and fats only. Proteins + supplements !!!!

What?

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    dobryiguk wrote: »

What?

I actually thought I was reading an advert at first for Mr Motivator. LOL
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @ndj1979 I thought you'd like to respond to the Bro-Science Jackpot ^^

:bigsmile:
  • asingh37
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

The two bits of actually useful information are the ones that are missing!

What is your training regime?
    Are you actually gaining weight with your diet? At 1600 calories (net or gross?) I doubt it.

The rest of your post is just noise I'm afraid! That you eat bell peppers and drink a load of water is frankly irrelevant detail.
    Have a look in the Gaining Weight forum and find the beginner's guide to bulking. (ETA - see link above)

Assuming that as you are lean and actually want to gain overall mass (i.e. get heavier) not just muscle mass (you don't state which)....

The simple answer to your "trying to keep my 6 pack but also put on muscle mass also I'm 5'10 150lbs. suggestions" question is eat enough to very, very slowly gain weight over time and train hard, preferably with a hypertrophy focussed programme.

So before the military i was 180 lbs with around 12% body fat and eating almost 5000 calories a day, i did squats/deads three times a week and upper body two times a week, i did cardio 3 times a week also, i did this for 3 weeks then had a whole week of cardio and abs. After boot camp i was 155 lbs with 5% of body fat. Then during the military i would eat probably 3000 calories, i did upper body 3 times a week and cardio 2 times a week, my body fat was around 20% and i was 175 lbs, i didnt have a good diet. I recently got out and im trying to start over with my health so i started this diet to drop my body fat, and i did; I'm around 6% and 150 lbs. My goal now is to put on pounds and keep the body fat low just like i did before the military; only problem now is is i have a messed up knee that hinders me from doing cardio and squats/deads like i used to. So do you still suggest raising my caloric intake?
  • asingh37
    Options
    lift weights

I do.lol

eat more

What? How is that a muscle-building programme?

OK

You need to eat 2600 calories a day minimum (see scooby link above)

You need to follow a progressive lifting programme: see http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ for a good beginner's basic programme ... there are others like ice cream fitness etc

You are a 21 year old male - now is the prime time to be building muscle
    So before the military i was 180 lbs with around 12% body fat and eating almost 5000 calories a day, i did squats/deads three times a week and upper body two times a week, i did cardio 3 times a week also, i did this for 3 weeks then had a whole week of cardio and abs. After boot camp i was 155 lbs with 5% of body fat. Then during the military i would eat probably 3000 calories, i did upper body 3 times a week and cardio 2 times a week, my body fat was around 20% and i was 175 lbs, i didnt have a good diet. I recently got out and im trying to start over with my health so i started this diet to drop my body fat, and i did; I'm around 6% and 150 lbs. My goal now is to put on pounds and keep the body fat low just like i did before the military; only problem now is is i have a messed up knee that hinders me from doing cardio and squats/deads like i used to. So do you still suggest raising my caloric intake?