Chinese food everyday

Options
So I was gone a while from the app but decided to take it up again and I remembered why I stopped originally: it's impossible to count my dinner calories because I eat Chinese food almost every day.

I'm Chinese, and I live at home now which means I get Chinese food for lunch and dinner at least 4 days a week.

Dinner is usually a bowl of rice and putting in a mix of vegetables, fish, and/or meat (and other misc. things like the occasional tofu). But because it's so mixed I can't pinpoint how much I'm having and of what (as sometimes I don't even think the app has specifics listed).

Should I even bother trying with my lunch and dinners? But that's 2 meals I'd be missing calorie counts on.

Anyone else have this problem? I can't be the only one that eats home cooked Chinese food. Is there a resolution to this?!

Replies

• RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You can get pretty close by measuring the rice, meat and sauce. The rice should be easy to measure. The meat well if you know you put 5oz. of beef in and you eat half the prep you can get a decent ball park.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Recipe builder? Are your parents cooking, and if so, are they on board with helping you determine portions? This doesn't really seem like a chinese food problem - there are many, many meals out there for which it is hard to identify exactly how much of which ingredient you're eating...

edit: if not, estimating is better than not trying at all. My sister logs very inaccurately, and she loses a lot slower than MFP says she should, but has still lost 35lbs. It can work.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Who is doing the cooking?

Ideally you want to weight the raw ingredients and stick them in the recipe builder along with the number of people you intend to feed. Then weight the whole finished dish and make sure you get the right amount of it.

For example:
    Let's say I cooked 100g white rice (dry weight)
    100g broccoli
    100g carrot
    100g beansprout
    100g chicken breast
    1tbsp olive oil

And tell the recipe counter I'm serving 3 people, it tells me it's 393 cals per serving.
    So I cook it all and weigh the entire thing, and it comes to 900g altogether, so I measure out 1/3 which is 300g. Now I know what I've eaten and how many calories.

I pulled those numbers out of the air but you get the point.
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why would chinese food be any different to any other kind of food. It contains ingredients; it can be weighed and it can be counted.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    neogramps wrote: »
    Why would chinese food be any different to any other kind of food. It contains ingredients; it can be weighed and it can be counted.

This

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

That was my thought too. If MFP doesn't have a specific ingredient, add it to the database. Once it's in there once, it's accessible to you every time you log. For everything else, weigh and measure.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder. If you don't help with the cooking, surely whoever does do it would appreciate your interest in learning how s/he does it.
  • KaidaYinYang
    KaidaYinYang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Who is doing the cooking?

Ideally you want to weight the raw ingredients and stick them in the recipe builder along with the number of people you intend to feed. Then weight the whole finished dish and make sure you get the right amount of it.

For example:
    Let's say I cooked 100g white rice (dry weight)
    100g broccoli
    100g carrot
    100g beansprout
    100g chicken breast
    1tbsp olive oil

And tell the recipe counter I'm serving 3 people, it tells me it's 393 cals per serving.
    So I cook it all and weigh the entire thing, and it comes to 900g altogether, so I measure out 1/3 which is 300g. Now I know what I've eaten and how many calories.

I pulled those numbers out of the air but you get the point.

Relatives. Can't cook to save my life(yet...will eventually have to).

Anyway, this was extremely helpful.
    Thank you for explaining and I'll see what I can do. Thanks again!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This ^^

If you want to put in the work, any homemade recipe can be logged by weighing each ingredient, determining how much of the whole you eat (may have to weigh/measure again). There is a recipe app that is supposed to make it easier.

Nearly all of my meals are homemade and often contain many ingredients. I don't weigh them all because it's just too much work IMO. I estimate a lot.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think estimating is usually enough.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Ask whoever is cooking if they can provide you with the recipe/amounts of each ingredient they used.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This.
    If you want to use calorie counting as your approach for weight loss, figure out how to count it or estimate it or something. Food is food.
  • EuniceTHQ
    EuniceTHQ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I got the same struggle with you. I'm a Chinese and we often eat Chinese food. I always find it difficult to control my portion because the we could simply grab any dishes from the middle of table whenever we like. I like Western style which they usually distribute everything equally, for example one portion of fish, one portion of salad and one portion of mash potato.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    So I was gone a while from the app but decided to take it up again and I remembered why I stopped originally: it's impossible to count my dinner calories because I eat Chinese food almost every day.

I'm Chinese, and I live at home now which means I get Chinese food for lunch and dinner at least 4 days a week.

Dinner is usually a bowl of rice and putting in a mix of vegetables, fish, and/or meat (and other misc. things like the occasional tofu). But because it's so mixed I can't pinpoint how much I'm having and of what (as sometimes I don't even think the app has specifics listed).

Should I even bother trying with my lunch and dinners? But that's 2 meals I'd be missing calorie counts on.

Anyone else have this problem? I can't be the only one that eats home cooked Chinese food. Is there a resolution to this?!

Its indeed all about calorie counting, and weighing your food
    Chinese, European, Thais food etc etc it doesn't matter

You have overweight and thin people in China...... just saying

So yes like the others said, start counting and weighing your food.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    EuniceTHQ wrote: »
    I got the same struggle with you. I'm a Chinese and we often eat Chinese food. I always find it difficult to control my portion because the we could simply grab any dishes from the middle of table whenever we like. I like Western style which they usually distribute everything equally, for example one portion of fish, one portion of salad and one portion of mash potato.

Actually, it's not a Chinese/western thing. Many times the same is done in western style restaurants. If it's on the table it's called "family style" or it can be a buffet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What I do is put my bowl on the scale, weigh the rice, then zero the scale, add the veggies, then zero the scale and add the meat. That way I have the weight for everything (then I just use the 'cooked' entries, but I'd overestimate the rice because MFP's entries seem to be 20% off for cooked rice).