Drink water to lose water?

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you drink cold water, the temperature drop could use extra calories. Not a lot though.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Da hell? Drink water to stay alive is about where it's at.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    well I think you'll die if you don't drink it
    Rippetoe: " the noisy important advice in lifting is don't die. If you die, your lifts will drop dramatically."

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Drinking water flushes salt from your body and since water follows salt, drinking water can lead to the loss of water. Of course that assumes you aren't drinking water with sodium added.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no. The studies on water, hydration and health show it is extremely difficult to measure water intake exactly, because many foods are prepared with water and have naturally occurring water. I think a reputable scientific study would be problematic and this is why this has not been done. That said, water is a marvelous diluting agent and is essential for life. A healthy body will regulate water through thirst and excretion. Drinking a little extra will not hurt you, unless taken to extremes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no. The studies on water, hydration and health show it is extremely difficult to measure water intake exactly, because many foods are prepared with water and have naturally occurring water. I think a reputable scientific study would be problematic and this is why this has not been done. That said, water is a marvelous diluting agent and is essential for life. A healthy body will regulate water through thirst and excretion. Drinking a little extra will not hurt you, unless taken to extremes.

Can someone translate this for me?

I thought what Fish said made most sense and in a context where it might be appropriate and waht the OP was asking about
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

999tigger wrote: »

Can someone translate this for me?

I thought what Fish said made most sense and in a context where it might be appropriate and waht the OP was asking about
    Addiewe wrote: »
    Is there any scientific evidence to support that?

The short answer is no.
  • sunshine4u229
    sunshine4u229 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Our bodies like to "camel" water. They freak out thinking this may be the only water available. But the more water you drink, the more our bodies trust us and recognize there isnt a need to hold on to it.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    dem sodiumz
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »
    Well if you eat salt you retain water, and to lose this weight you have to flush it out with more water. Thus drinking water can help you lose weight on the short run if you also minimize your salt intake, which can be useful if you are doing competitions in a certain weight class, or when you ate too much salt on one particular day and you want to get rid of it, but this is not a strategy that I recommend on the long run.

This. I would also add that eating potassium helps, too.
  • greengirl4
    greengirl4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Let's try this again ... There is a claim that if you drink EXTRA water, will help you to lose EXCESS water that your body has stored. Does anyone know if this has been scientifically proven?

Seriously? Let's try this again ...

Why can't you google this and search for a study? Lol if you have the time to ask it on the MFP forums; you can search for it on google.

Wth is wrong with you? Forgot your manners? oops...

I think his point was that YOU were the one that forgot your manners. Seriously.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    greengirl4 wrote: »
    Seriously? Let's try this again ... There is a claim that if you drink EXTRA water, will help you to lose EXCESS water that your body has stored. Does anyone know if this has been scientifically proven?

Seriously? Let's try this again ...

Why can't you google this and search for a study? Lol if you have the time to ask it on the MFP forums; you can search for it on google.

Wth is wrong with you? Forgot your manners? oops...

I think his point was that YOU were the one that forgot your manners. Seriously.

lol etiquette burn
  • AntiMage
    AntiMage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you drink water you are letting your body know that it doesn't need to retain the fluid it's holding on to, so yes you can lose water weight by drinking more water.
    Also it lowers your sodium levels, helping you pee out water weight. But be careful as low sodium levels are very unhealthy
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    aren't there enzymes and *kitten* that collaborate together to keep your water in your body when you don't drink enough
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links. Looks like I have some reading to do.
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I follow a girl on Instagram for weight loss and she swears by water. Drinks about 4-5L a day and lost 91lbs in seven and a half months. I've tried to follow her example and am averaging about 3L a day. It's too early to see about its effects on my weight loss but I definitely feel much better for it.

Don't know if that helps anyone.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I follow a girl on Instagram for weight loss and she swears by water. Drinks about 4-5L a day and lost 91lbs in seven and a half months. I've tried to follow her example and am averaging about 3L a day. It's too early to see about its effects on my weight loss but I definitely feel much better for it.

Don't know if that helps anyone.

Yeah not really

cos the 91lbs she lost - that's due to a calorie defecit - not too much water (although she's probably waterlogging herself instead of eating)

and the rate she has lost at means she will have burned through her LBM much faster than necessary making maintenance an absolute b!tch

I would not follow her example if you value your health and body composition