Options
2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    As long as you are losing 2lbs per week or less, it is fine. If you're losing more than that, you need to make some adjustments.

Not sure if serious.

Unfortunately based on his history I'm pretty sure he is :(

+1

OP: Do not listen to @TimothyFish.

An just what is wrong with what I said? I find it difficult to believe that the 1000 calories per day is accurate, but if it is then she's going to be losing more than 2 lbs per week. If it isn't accurate, but she is losing less than 2 lbs per week, then her daily deficit is no more than 1000 calories, which is a healthy number.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What are you doing that it says you're burning 1000 calories?
    This plus what she said earlier about what to eat.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing 2lbs per week or less, it is fine. If you're losing more than that, you need to make some adjustments.

Not sure if serious.

+1

An just what is wrong with what I said? I find it difficult to believe that the 1000 calories per day is accurate, but if it is then she's going to be losing more than 2 lbs per week. If it isn't accurate, but she is losing less than 2 lbs per week, then her daily deficit is no more than 1000 calories, which is a healthy number.

Your comment history can be perceived as problematic to some people. You were telling her she was fine if she was losing less than 2lb a week, when she thinks that she's netting 500 calories a day. That's not "fine".
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Not sure if serious.

+1

Your comment history can be perceived as problematic to some people. You were telling her she was fine if she was losing less than 2lb a week, when she thinks that she's netting 500 calories a day. That's not "fine".

No, she already said she was eating 1550 calories per day, which is more than the 1200 calorie minimum for women. We don't know what her net is because we don't have enough information.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    HRMs are only good for steady state cardio. Anything else will not be accurate. Just FYI.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Not sure if serious.

+1

No, she already said she was eating 1550 calories per day, which is more than the 1200 calorie minimum for women. We don't know what her net is because we don't have enough information.

I'm aware. I read the original post.

Even if her burns were half of what she is reporting, she is still netting under 1,200 calories, and that is not fine.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Not sure if serious.

+1

Even if her burns were half of what she is reporting, she is still netting under 1,200 calories, and that is not fine.

Technically, we're all netting under 1200, since it takes a negative net to lose weight. We just don't want a net less than -1000. What you are referring to is the MFP net. The 1200 calorie limit has nothing to do with the MFP net. You don't lose the nutrients that the 1200 calories gave you just because you went out and exercised
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Not sure if serious.

+1

Technically, we're all netting under 1200, since it takes a negative net to lose weight. We just don't want a net less than -1000. What you are referring to is the MFP net. The 1200 calorie limit has nothing to do with the MFP net. You don't lose the nutrients that the 1200 calories gave you just because you went out and exercised

I'm not netting under 1,200 to lose. 1,200 is the absolute minimum for women to net. You can still net more than 1,200 and be in a deficit to lose. Under 1,200 is not advisable or necessary for most women, unless they are very short and have a lower BMR.

Men should not be netting 1,200 per day, either, for the same reasons.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Not sure if serious.

+1

I'm not netting under 1,200 to lose. 1,200 is the absolute minimum for women to net. You can still net more than 1,200 and be in a deficit to lose. Under 1,200 is not advisable or necessary for most women, unless they are very short and have a lower BMR.

You missed the point. Net calories, as calculated outside of MFP, is simply calories consumed minus calories used. When we eat less than we burn, that number is negative. MFP doesn't like negative numbers, so they don't include BMR in the calories burned when they calculate net. But you can be sure that the guys who decided that 1200 calories should be the minimum did include BMR. So, the 1200 calories is not the minimum net calories but the minimum total calories consumed.
  • Akibo23
    Akibo23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Yes. Just stay above 1200 calories/day.

+1.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Not sure if serious.

+1

You missed the point. Net calories, as calculated outside of MFP, is simply calories consumed minus calories used. When we eat less than we burn, that number is negative. MFP doesn't like negative numbers, so they don't include BMR in the calories burned when they calculate net. But you can be sure that the guys who decided that 1200 calories should be the minimum did include BMR. So, the 1200 calories is not the minimum net calories but the minimum total calories consumed.

Once again, I'm aware.
    I'm aware you need to burn more than you eat to lose weight. I'm aware of BMR. You still need to fuel your body properly and eat a proper amount of calories per day. Telling someone they are fine for netting 500-1000 calories per day after exercise because they are still losing under 2lbs a week is not responsible.