Having problems breathing?

adobrev
adobrev Posts: 108 Member
i know this sounds like an issue that I should take up with a doctor, which I will AFTER I speak to you all, and if it doesn't change, then I'll seek medical help,

Basically, I'm 86.5 lbs and I'm trying to weigh 105. I have to eat 2040 calories a day minimum, in order for me to gain the necessary weight I need by the end of summer (my goal).

The thing is, I've noticed the reason why I hit my daily goal is because I'm eating lots of fatty, oily, fried, and sugary foods. That being said, I know it's very unhealthy, and I've been doing this for a whole week, and have noticed breathing problems and I'm worried I'm in the process of clogging my arteries >.<. Plus I can really run the risk of subjecting myself to diabetes in the future if I don't stop my high sugar intake.
Could you guys suggest some healthy foods and drinks I could replace the crappy things with so I can reach my daily calorie goal, please?

Thank you! Don't judge me...I don't like doctors. I feel like every time I come into their office, they're going to find something wrong with me....so please help so I don't give them anything to find pleaseeee?:))

Replies

• moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    If you feel like eating what you are is hurting your health, then stop eating them. There are "healthier" foods that are high calorie like nuts for example. Ever look at peanut butter? A peanut butter sandwich can be over 400 calories just for a few ounces. You can also try googling foods you like, look up their nutritional values, and try to create a meal plan that you like and helps you gain weight.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Even if I were a doctor, I couldn't give any advice over the net. You might have some serious underlying cardiac or respiratory conditions. Or it might be allergies. Go to your doc.

As far as cutting out crappy foods- just do it there are plenty of healthy, calorie dense foods out there to help you gain weight without the crap. Oily fish, lean red beef, nuts, coconuts, avocados. All can increase your calorie count as well as providing nutrients.
  • adobrev
    Thank you for both of your suggestions!

I thought avocados were for losing weight though?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    adobrev wrote: »
    Thank you for both of your suggestions!

I thought avocados were for losing weight though?

There is no food specifically designated to be eaten only while in weight loss mode. Avocados are calorie dense so these sound like a great food to eat if you're trying to gain weight, but don't want to eat a lot of volume.

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    I wouldn't recommend eating a whole case. You'd be having the poop shoots (technical nursing term, there). But one or two a day can add good calories in. There are a ton of foods out there that are calorie dense and still good for you.
  • adobrev
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend eating a whole case. You'd be having the poop shoots (technical nursing term, there). But one or two a day can add good calories in. There are a ton of foods out there that are calorie dense and still good for you.

Would you mind listing a new more? Like even recommend a few meal plans, please?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Avocado as mentioned, full fat greek yogourt, cheese (full fat and grass fed preferably), nuts - especially pecans, walnuts and macadamias which have a higher ratio of fats to carbs, if you want a few more healthy carbs with your meal plan pineapple and mangos are good. Quinoa has good carbs & protein, brown rice, sweet potato.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    adobrev wrote: »
    kramrn77 wrote: »

Would you mind listing a new more? Like even recommend a few meal plans, please?

Also almonds, small hand burger with cheese.
    Sour cream, full fat salad dressing, full fat mayo, rice, pasta, beans, sausage, chicken thighs, salmon, tuna, almond butter, peanut butter, dried fruits, banana chips, muffins, bagels, scones, cheese, potato salad, cole slaw, chocolate, nutella, granola.

1. For example, make a hamburger with cheese along side some rice with butter.

2. For breakfast have granola with full fat milk or yogurt.

Good luck.

• adobrev
    Thank you everyone!!!! I really appreciate all of your hero and suggestions, Im going shopping in the morning, and I added everyone's suggestions on my list :)<3
  • adobrev
    Thank you everyone!!!! I really appreciate all of your hero and suggestions, Im going shopping in the morning, and I added everyone's suggestions on my list :)<3
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Did no one notice the OP said he/she weighs 87 pounds? Or did I miss that while skimming?

In any event, I think you should seek medical advice on how to gain the weight if you haven't already as well as how to develop a healthy relationship with food
  • adobrev
    snikkins wrote: »
    Did no one notice the OP said he/she weighs 87 pounds? Or did I miss that while skimming?

In any event, I think you should seek medical advice on how to gain the weight if you haven't already as well as how to develop a healthy relationship with food

See the thing is, EVERY single time I got visit my doctor, I always ask how can I gain weight and if I'm underweight, how unhealthy is it. She always responds with"yes you're underweight, but you're not in the red zone, and your blood pressure and everything is fine." So when I ask how to gain weight all she says is take multi vitamins.

So it's either I need a new doctor, or I might be on the underweight side for my height, but not to the point where I could be anorexic. I still get my periods regularly, and for the full amount (5 days).it never skips or anything, I do have bad cramps though, but it runs in the family.

I'm not sick or anything because of my weight and I know for a fact I don't have a gaining weight disorder, because I weighed 96 lbs at one point, but I went through a pretty traumatic point in my life and I lost the ten pounds. I have gained half a pound since they very first time I logged into MFP, but I also wasn't consecutively logging in and making a point to eat the recommended amount the app advised.

So my main problem is knowing which foods to buy and which ones to avoid. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    OP sorry but I think you are getting dreadful advice. You need to talk to your dr again, and you need to see a dietician. Most probably a therapist too. You are severely underweight, worried your arteries are clogging from too much fatty food and trying to rationalise why your weight is fine and why you should not listen to your dr. This is an eating disorder you are describign and you need professional help, not tips on eating clean.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP sorry but I think you are getting dreadful advice. You need to talk to your dr again, and you need to see a dietician. Most probably a therapist too. You are severely underweight, worried your arteries are clogging from too much fatty food and trying to rationalise why your weight is fine and why you should not listen to your dr. This is an eating disorder you are describign and you need professional help, not tips on eating clean.

This.

It's great that you are actively trying to gain weight, but you are obviously having panic attacks in regards to food. Your arteries don't magically clog overnight.

You need to see a doctor who will listen and pay attention, and who will also run blood tests for deficiencies. I've no idea how tall you are and as such how underweight you are, but if you have been eating poorly for a long time then that should be checked.

If you think you can manage to eat more calorie dense 'clean' food without triggering anxiety, then nuts, avocado etc is the way to go, but I still think you need to seek *real* help in regards to this. As aggelikik said, it sounds like you are in eating disorder territory to me. No underweight 20 yr old should be having anxiety attacks because they've eaten some fried chicken.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    by the way, since you hate doctors, perhaps a therapist/dietician would be the best route for you as aggelikik also suggested. Between them they will help you to find ways to deal with what's happening without doctor's intervention.

However:
    I feel like every time I come into their office, they're going to find something wrong with me....

why do you go to their office if you feel healthy? If you are in their office in the first place then something is obviously wrong and they need to figure out what. If you are thinking along the lines of "I'm going to have cancer", "maybe that salad I ate in mexico has given my hepatitis and my liver is shot..." etc, then again, that is something for a therapist.

You can't avoid doctors forever, they are there to help.
  • adobrev
    edited June 2015
    by the way, since you hate doctors, perhaps a therapist/dietician would be the best route for you as aggelikik also suggested. Between them they will help you to find ways to deal with what's happening without doctor's intervention.

However:
    I feel like every time I come into their office, they're going to find something wrong with me....

why do you go to their office if you feel healthy? If you are in their office in the first place then something is obviously wrong and they need to figure out what. If you are thinking along the lines of "I'm going to have cancer", "maybe that salad I ate in mexico has given my hepatitis and my liver is shot..." etc, then again, that is something for a therapist.

You can't avoid doctors forever, they are there to help.

I go every year to get my physical exam done. Or if I get a cold which is once in a blue moon, but whenever I go in I always ask about my weight because I hate how thin I am. I honestly doubt, with all due respect, that I have an eating disorder because I've been checked for it, and results were negative. I don't exhibit anorexia or bulimia traits.

I'm not having panic attacks on eating 'a piece of fried chicken', I'm worried that my childhood bad habits are finally catching up to me and me eating poorly now isn't helping it. As a kid I didn't drink milk or water all that much, but mainly soda and sugary foods. Ive been trying to drop the habit for the past year now and it's on and off.

I'm afraid of seeing my doctor because I'm always told I'm fine and deep down I don't think I am since people make fun of me all the time, so I'm worried after all this time assuring me I'm ok, she'll finally say something.

Does that make sense?
    I was 5'0 last year, now I'm 5'1.

My BMI is 16.3, which is underweight, yes. on the cdc website it says normal BMI for my age and height is 18.5-24.9
    And that I should weigh from 98 - 134 lbs.

I personally want to be 105-110.

Regardless, thank you for the concern.
  • adobrev

I never said I didn't listen to my doctor, I said I don't believe that just taking multivitamins are what's going to help me.

But thank you for your response.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    You have a BMI of 16 and you are still growing. You are scared that drinking soda as a child has affected your health. You already have a eatin disorder. Your health is indeed in danger, and you are probably already experiencing physical symptoms because of very low weight. You need professional support before irreversible damage is done. I seriously doubt that tracking calories is safe in your case. Please talk to a therapist and get guidance on how to proceed.
  • adobrev
    You have a BMI of 16 and you are still growing. You are scared that drinking soda as a child has affected your health. You already have a eatin disorder. Your health is indeed in danger, and you are probably already experiencing physical symptoms because of very low weight. You need professional support before irreversible damage is done. I seriously doubt that tracking calories is safe in your case. Please talk to a therapist and get guidance on how to proceed.

I will :) thank you, I really do appreciate it, I'm going to make an appointment for some time this week,