What motivates you?

Options
im on here again after failing again and putting in more weight again...what motivates everyone else to lose weight? I just want to get to my target healthy weight but having over 60lbs to lose I find it really hard to stay motivated & slip back into unhealthy habits! Advice, suggestions, motivations all welcome!!

Replies

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    What motivates me?
    - I want to be fit and healthy so I can show myself that I am stronger than my cravings and reaction to emotions.
    - I want to be fit and healthy so I can gain the esteem and self-confidence to demand respect from others who put me down or use me as a self-validation tool to make themselves feel better ("I may have lost my job, but at least I' I'm not FAT like her." or "She's FAT, she can't get any better, she'll stick with me and I can treat her like *kitten*."
    - I want to be fit and healthy so I can look back in my older age/or if I'm sick and remember there was a time in my youth that I was fit, healthy and able to physically maximise my enjoyment of my youth, my body, and my opportunities
    - I want to be fit and healthy so I can use it as a means to cultivate OTHER good habits along the way such as - running, waking up early, enjoying a wider variety of foods, self-discipline...
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Getting into my size 12 trousers and them being comfy/loose. Started off in tight 18's.
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    My main motivation is that I just don't want to be this fat anymore. I mean, I WILL NOT be. I'm not just wishing I wasn't, I'm doing something about it. I will stay healthy. I will be able to buy prettier clothes. I will be able to appear in photos and not avoid them.

When I started, when ever I got cravings I told myself that this-or-that food will NOT disappear from the world. If I still want them lets say, in a year, I will have them. This is not my last chance to have a burger or a pizza or a cupcake. But for now, I am choosing to not have them. And the cravings went away in a month or so.

When I noticed I am actually losing weight and not even suffering for it, it encouraged me to keep at it. I'm half way to my goal, 33lbs gone, 33lbs left, and I am confident that I will get there by this time next year. Since I'm feeling fine, I just keep doing what I'm doing, and the time will pass.

So. Find a way to eat healthy in a way you can keep up (counting calories and eating what you like in moderation is pretty easy), find some exercise you LIKE doing (if you hate gym don't go to the gym! Find a dance class or go for walks or what ever you enjoy). This will make this change of a lifestyle easy and do-able instead of being some kind of a temporary fix. When you feel good, your weightloss turns into a hobby, and it stops being a chore.

You can do this! You only need time and patience. No tricks.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This might be vain, but here goes: I have a beach vacation in four weeks with my older sisters. (9&12years). I will feel embarrassed if they look trimmer and fitter than I do. It's bad enough that one got all the "breast" genes! Lol. I'm not proud, but that's the honest truth. Sibling rivalry.
  • debsanland
    debsanland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Seeing results, although it's true that it takes a while. But biggest motivation was to be healthier after problems with blood pressure. My MD says if I keep going I can come off the BP meds altogether, that is my goal!
  • myowninspiration33
    myowninspiration33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The negative comments and sneers I get in response to my weight....it used to bother me but now it just fuels my inner beast when I'm ready to give up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I want not to mind to be photographed again. and I want to be fit. and it want my insides to match my outsides.
    I miss this person
    1291039560.jpg
  • carol060606
    carol060606 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks so much for commenting, I just seen these today! Great to hear I'm not alone :) xx
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My thighs. Sometimes my stomach, but my thighs are huge motivators. I would wish their grossness on anyone, but it's too bad you don't have them for motivation. They work.

Also, being healthy. There are many things I'd like to eat that I don't because I'd rather be healthy.

There is no guarantee I won't end up with joint or cardiovascular issues, but I'd like to avoid them if I can, so I do what I can. Eating healthy is the biggest part of that, so I stick with it.
  • Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My results is a big motivator. Also having someone push me helps! I have kind of been on my own for about a week and have realized without someone pushing me I don't push as hard. But hope to get back to it just as hard starting today because the results are worth it!