Chicken

Options
How do you guys cook chicken when meal prepping!?

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Usually baked or boiled for about 25 minutes. Sometimes on the stove as part of a stir fry
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have my husband grill a couple of chicken breasts and then I use them to top salad for my lunches during the week. Sometimes we do just olive oil and salt and pepper on the chicken, sometimes Italian dressing, and sometime sriracha.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sautee in olive oil or bake in oven with some spices. The leftovers are for next days lunch salad. So many ways to cook chicken. You never run out. You can even dio a French or Scampi here and there hich are higher cal but oh so tasty :)
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Baked, Grilled
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Apud85 wrote: »
    I have my husband grill a couple of chicken breasts and then I use them to top salad for my lunches during the week. Sometimes we do just olive oil and salt and pepper on the chicken, sometimes Italian dressing, and sometime sriracha.

This (except for the husband part...lol). I'll grill several breasts over the weekend then saute and place over a salad during the week. Usually use olive oil and Season All.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I chop it up into small bits and stir fry it.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Grill it! Mmmmmmmmm!
  • _sacar
    _sacar Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You could also do it in the crock pot and shred it! Pretty versatile that way - buffalo chicken lettuce wraps, BBQ chicken, steamed broccoli with some Asian spices, etc. :) (I need to do that...I've been meaning to.)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My Chicken Commandments:

1. Marinate, brine, or cure it. Try not to fall back on dried ground spices so much. Use fresh aromatics.
    2. Season with plenty of kosher or sea salt on both sides prior to cooking. Under-seasoned chicken is awful.
    3. Cook in larger pieces, let rest, and slice afterward. This results in better moisture retention.
    4. Get a nice sear, whether pre- or post- sear. The pan must be hot. When hot, add the oil and get that hot, too!
    5. Do not overcook; be mindful of carryover cooking after you remove it from the heat.

Serving with a sauce will also help 9.9 times out of 10.
  • _sacar
    _sacar Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    My Chicken Commandments:

1. Marinate, brine, or cure it. Try not to fall back on dried ground spices so much. Use fresh aromatics.

Interested in brining. What is your go-to as far as measurements go?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If wings or thighs: Rub with salt and pepper and bake in oven. If breast: Rub with salt and pepper and oil and bake in oven.

Oops, don't think this qualifies as meal prepping. I prefer food to be as fresh as possible, and newly cooked from raw. So the only prep I do with chicken, is - when I buy from butcher - putting thighs into individual plastic bags and freeze. Store bought chicken is single frozen and I just defrost what I'll be having the next day. That's perhaps meal prep. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer to roast chicken with the bones in and preferably the skin on. It's worth the added calories. I'll make it any way, though. I've slow cooked up chicken parts to shred and use in lunches, which can be tasty. Last nice I just pan fried some skinless boneless breasts and used them on a salad. I have played around with tangines with lemon and green olives and chicken parts, which are delicious, and figured out some short cuts. Really, variety is the key, although roasted whole chicken will always be my absolute favorite.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    _ssperber wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    My Chicken Commandments:

Interested in brining. What is your go-to as far as measurements go?

Brining tips start at 44 seconds, but this whole video is pretty good:

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    put in slow cooker. smother in spice/rub and salt of choice. cook for a few hours. take out and chop up. refrigerate.