Carb and Sugar Addict

Options
Im new on here. Just beginning my journey again for the hundredth time. I am a bigtime sugar and carb addict and trying to walk away from them has me a wreck! Please if you have any advice to make the withdrawal easier itd be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

I have more years of carb addiction than you I am sure. Last year at age 63 I realized I needed to break my sugar and grain addiction to survive. I tried to taper off for two months and failed so I just left them cold turkey. It was hellish for sure for two weeks and then their grasp on me quickly faded away.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

The above MFP group can give you more info as how to make a move from sugar and grains go better.
  • christmaseve70
    christmaseve70 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info!!!!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP you are not addict. You just need to learn self control and don't need to low carb unless some medical reason. i suggest you read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you truly are addicted to carbs and sugar then please check yourself into rehab, and/or a 12 step program. Lack of will power around carbs does not equal an "addiction"...
  • christmaseve70
    Options
    Thanks ....and that article is a very goodread! Thank you for the link!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Thanks ....and that article is a very goodread! Thank you for the link!!!

:)
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am/was in same boat as you. My diet was horrible (not a veggie eater) and loved bready, starchy foods and I have/had a huge sweet tooth. I had a daily routine at work for candy and a diet coke at 3 PM.

My only advice is to stay focused on your goal and find other healthier snacks. Nuts, sugar free candy, greek yogurt, frozen greek yogurt etc.
  • elledarby70
    elledarby70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am/was in same boat as you. My diet was horrible (not a veggie eater) and loved bready, starchy foods and I have/had a huge sweet tooth. I had a daily routine at work for candy and a diet coke at 3 PM.

My only advice is to stay focused on your goal and find other healthier snacks. Nuts, sugar free candy, greek yogurt, frozen greek yogurt etc.

I am a sugar and carb addict too. I try to make sure there is none in the house, i let myself have a small treat on Saturday if i was good all week. This week doesn't look good for me though. I have had rice twice. My sister says to brush your teeth every time you think about eating something you shouldn't.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    You might want to take the Bob Saget addiction test.
    Have you ever sucked feet for carbs / sugar?
    If yes, you're an addict, if not, probably not.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    rehab yo

it's the only way

accept that you are powerless
  • coastaltwist143
    coastaltwist143 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too, love carbs and sugar... And wine and cheese... Lol
    Two years ago I dropped 20 lbs by doing as the first reply (above) stated. Cold turkey.
    I cut all gluten and sugar, but since caffeine is a contributing medium to cravings, I quit that too.
    I purged /donated all sweets and gluten.
    I bought vegan cheese and researched recipes for how to make non gluten tortillas or pancakes. But those were saved for cheat days.
    Once every couple weeks, I would allow myself a ounce or two of 85% dark chocolate. No less than that bc it would be too much milk.
    Drink tons of water. No crystal light. Add orange rind or lime rind for flavors.

Anyway - that's what helped me. Everyone has their own way.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I bought vegan cheese and researched recipes for how to make non gluten tortillas or pancakes. But those were saved for cheat days.

Just curious: What's in a non-gluten tortilla or pancake? Not some gluten-free substitute carb like rice flour, I hope. I mean, we're talking about addiction here. ;)
  • christmaseve70
    Options

I am a sugar and carb addict too. I try to make sure there is none in the house, i let myself have a small treat on Saturday if i was good all week. This week doesn't look good for me though. I have had rice twice. My sister says to brush your teeth every time you think about eating something you shouldn't.

• christmaseve70
    Options
    Great advice! Thank you. My body is currently going through withdrawal of sugar. My intestines are rebelling but i know it will be better this way. With growing up in an Italian family im a natural carb and sugar lover. I actually love pastas and breads more so than any desert. Sad i know!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    definitely seek professional help to overcome your addiction
  • sarah2525
    sarah2525 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ah yess. The sugar!! Totally addicted that i actually got yeast over growth in my intestines! I kinda got rid of it but still battling whats left hahaha. Im here for ya! Add me if yould like!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found to avoid things you plan not to eat regularly is to not have them around. Don't buy them so that they aren't there for you to grab. This may begin with avoiding the entire cookie aisle in the grocery store. If that's what it takes, that's fine. Don't torture yourself, just bypass the things altogether. The cravings will go down in time. The first month is the hardest. After the first 3 months you will be doing much better. Going on a "voyage" of discovery of new foods you can try can be very eye opening and fun, replacing the old things you no longer plan to eat on a regular basis. Browse sites like skinnytaste.com and Cooking Light, for example. Try new things with veggies. Spinach with garlic sauteed in a little olive oil is a favorite at my house.