June 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I like that bib organizer. I just keep mine tucked away wondering what, if anything I'm going to do with them.

@whatmerunning They have a million different kinds. I keep finding me all over my car LOL the other day I found last year's Cotton Row in back of my SUV and what kills me is that one is worth money in the Fleet Feet store, which is probably why I left it in the car to start with. You buy something and show the bib and you get money off.

Cottton Row is one of the best

Best bib or best race @stingrayinfl ?

one of the better races...rd's are the best..good Memorial day run and atmosphere is great and post race food is great..lol...bib (if I can remember correctly is big, I like small bibs),,,this yr, they could have made it an urban trail with the tree down..lol
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Got 3 miles in tonight and tested the Forerunner 305 I picked up from Craigslist.

Apparently I can't directly link to my goal graphic. Let's try this again:

f3wz2p5f7lfp.jpeg

And @_nikkiwolf_ well done on that 5k!

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 4.0 miles, still a little tender from Saturday's race
    6/2 - 4.25 miles; 8.25/120
    6/3 - 4 miles, indoor track; weights/abs
    6/4 - 4.9 miles, Trek/treadmill - would it kill my Y to put some fans in the cardio room?!?
    6/5 - 4.4 miles, a little humid, but nice!
    6/6 - planned rest day
    6/7 - 8.1 miles, STICKY...summer is here for sure.
    6/8 - unplanned rest day - all that time watching baseball in the sun sucked it out of me.
    6/9 -4.1 miles; 33.75/120
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    12 today. Keep on running ya'all !!!

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - That really sucks to hear about the cancelled event. That has been my big concern at the Spring events so far this year with all this crazy weather. I mean, it can rain all over me and even hail (easy to think that until it hails of course). I just want the race to go on! It must have been pretty bad weather, I imagine.

@tdbernrd - I've seen a few threads recently here, or maybe in the Long Distance Runners group about this. There can be a lot of contributing factors, mental and physical. From reaching your goal and feeling you have lost your purpose, to a build up of cortisol leading to some depression. I have only felt this once, and it was kind of mild but noticeable. In that case I think it was physical because mentally I had some bigger goals planned in my future. But I had run my butt off in that half without preparing nutritionally for running at that high of an effort (over 2 and a half hours at my "fast" pace). I suppose part of it might have been mental from being a little bit defeated both in my original plan, and from having to struggle so hard to finish what should have been a relatively easy half.

@annekka - Yes, if you have been running at a proper pace to build your aerobic system it is normal to result in running faster at the same effort. It is the primary focus of my summer training this year. Lots of slow, easy miles to increase my pace and to run further distances.

Six hilly miles today. I'm focusing on hills this summer. If anyone has any good spare hills send them my way.

6/2 - 4.1 miles
    6/3 - 4 miles (8.1 total)
    6/4 - 4.1 miles (12.2 total)
    6/6 -13.4 miles (25.6 total)
    6/8 - 6 miles (31.6 total)
    6/9 = 6 miles (37.6 total)

Goal 130 miles

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I like that bib organizer. I just keep mine tucked away wondering what, if anything I'm going to do with them.

@whatmerunning They have a million different kinds. I keep finding me all over my car LOL the other day I found last year's Cotton Row in back of my SUV and what kills me is that one is worth money in the Fleet Feet store, which is probably why I left it in the car to start with. You buy something and show the bib and you get money off.

one of the better races...rd's are the best..good Memorial day run and atmosphere is great and post race food is great..lol...bib (if I can remember correctly is big, I like small bibs),,,this yr, they could have made it an urban trail with the tree down..lol

I didn't realize you were local @stingrayinfl
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @shanaber Fleet Feet is great. They have a loyal buyers program and for every $250 you spend they give you a $25 credit. One time I was up to $75 and Skip got a pair of spikes for cross country for $10. They also give her a 15% discount on everything running but watches because she runs for a school. At the Cotton Row expo she brought the shoes she loves in a half size larger than she wears now because they were on clearance for $69 and then they gave her my loyal customer $25 credit. In the store last month we paid $130 for her shoes..exact same ones just a different color. If you wear your shoes for a month and hate them, they will take them back. They take as much time as you need when buying. One night the fitter worked with Skip for over an hour. The store was closed and we were still there, they never make you feel rushed or pushed to buy from them. Love them!
    Can you tell them to open a store in So CA please!! For so many people living here there are very few running stores and I haven't been too happy with the two that are closest at a reasonable 30-45 min drive.

Just come visit me and I'll take you to ours :smiley:

@tdbernrd - I don't get depressed or a runner's low or anything after a 5K/10K but I certainly did after my half. It was my first (and only so far) and I worked so hard to get there that I kinda felt like what now after I was done. Also I was spent afterwards and then I saw my mileage and speed suffer and I was like what the heck. People told me it was normal and to continue on. So I signed up for a 10K and that gave me something to look forward too. Then my mileage picked back up and so did my "speed" and all is well now in my world.

@annekka people kept telling me and I know it's true with miles come speed. I'm no zip zip runner, but I know I've added speed along with distance in the last year. I will never be a 20 min 5K runner, I'm happy with sub 30..I'm built for distance not for speed LOL

@akirkman86 awesome job on the half, great time!!

@7lenny7 how do you like the forerunner?
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    6/1 - 5 miles
    6/2 - 5.3 miles
    6/3 - 3.2 miles
    6/4 - 4.4 miles
    6/5 - 2.3 miles
    6/6 - 1.6 miles - rest day today but did this to keep the 41 Days of Awesome challenge streak going
    6/7 - 7 miles - I'm so proud of this run it was at 10:21 pace, which is fast for me - I was comfortable the whole run :smiley:
    6/8 - 4.4 miles
    6/9 - 5.8 miles

39 out of 120 miles

exercise.png
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[img][/img]
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    June 4th = 7.4 miles
    June 6th up to 10.5 miles now. Running in the strong wind tonight was hard work.
    Up to 16.6 miles now
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    DATE ... MILES
    6/1 ... 2
    6/5 ... 4
    6/6 ... 13.1 (trail half marathon)
    6/9 ... 5.5

24.6/150 goal.

I am way behind on this thread! And I am leaving tomorrow for my brother-in-law's wedding up in Portland (my husband's brother). I will keep up the running and catch up with everyone next week. ;)

@shanaber - there are a few Fleet Feet stores in Northern CA. We have one in Monterey, one in Santa Cruz and one in Davis that I can think of off hand. They are all franchised though so each store offers different discounts, services, group runs etc. The one by @skippygirlsmom sounds like is above and beyond though!
  • Missyb187
    Missyb187 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    2.5 miles today.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I can feel the dull pain of shin splints again, so I'm off for at least a week. Ugh :'( just when I was getting back to my best after cracking two ribs... I'm having rubbish luck right now!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Heat index is 100 today. I'm gonna have to run at 4am and at 7pm to get mileage.

Do you run in the heat? How hots too hot for you?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I didn't realize you were local @stingrayinfl

I didn't know either.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Heat index is 100 today. I'm gonna have to run at 4am and at 7pm to get mileage.

I pretty much avoid 11 AM- 5 PM. I'll run anywhere before or after that. I used to live in the high desert of CA- so even those pre/post times were pretty warm. anything over like 100 was to much. Now I'm a big weenie in the humidity- anything over like 85-90+humidity keeps me from going.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 how do you like the forerunner?

I've only used it twice so I'm still figuring out how to use it, and how best to use it for my goals, but so far I love it. I only paid $45 for it from a guy who posted on craigslist. It looks brand new and there were only 9 or 10 workouts in the history (from 2009!). All the parts and pieces are there except the manual and USB cable, which are easily found.

I'm an engineer so I love numbers and analyzing numbers. With a FR 305, I now have plenty of those! I had been struggling with getting accurate distances, and consequently pacing, for my runs. I don't trust my Fitbit or phone apps to give me real numbers. With the FR305, I now have good numbers. I didn't use the heart monitor the first time but I did last night and I found it quite interesting. I need to do some research on heart rate as it relates to training.

I think I'm going to be fairly satisfied with this, though I wish the wrist strap was longer. I'm on the second or third notch from the end and the tail of the straps has a hard time staying in the loop.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I run in the morning. One of the reasons is to avoid the heat. Our Saturday morning group started at 5;30. And talk is starting to go at 4:30 if it get's any hotter. The things we do to get our run in.