When you can't eat dairy and don't want meat...

AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
...what are good sources of protein?

I have recently decided to bite the bullet and admit that I can't tolerate dairy the way I used to. (There's a long back story but essentially I had to cut it out of my diet to nurse my son due to his intolerances - when I went to add it back I found out it gave me GI distress in anything over teeny tiny portions). I used to eat cottage cheese and mozzarella sticks for a bit of protein, and use a powdered whey protein supplement..but these led to some unpleasant runs. :(

And I am not vegetarian - I CAN eat meat - but I have found that I just don't want to lately. It rarely sounds good. I can do it, but usually it's because I make myself - so I'll eat a turkey burger or a chicken breast or something.

I do eat eggs and beans. I know this is a stupid question but anyone have any other good ideas to throw at me?

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Fish and seafood, canned tuna being the easiest, but if you like to cook, a lot more options.
  • AsellusReborn
    I can cook fine. Fish has been right up there with meat lately though. I don't know what's wrong with me but it's just not appealing.
  • AsellusReborn
    (Also, your picture is perfect. Adipose!)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    eggs, beans lentils, nuts tofu almonds, pumpkin seeds
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eat what vegetarians eat for protein: lentils and rice, black bean tortillas, green peas, green beans, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, romaine lettuce, spinach, steel cut oatmeal (soaked over night in the fridge), yellow squash, boy choy,
    Go to Pinterest and put in three or four search terms. Try vegetarian dairy free. Also Google "Meatless Mondays.

6cclkcfsywk8.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    eggs (and egg whites if whole eggs still aren't getting you a high enough protein-to-calorie ratio in the context of your overall diet)
    soy milk, tofu, other soy-based products (e.g., soy grits)
    seitan (you can make your own from wheat gluten, which is sold for baking)
    plant-based protein powders (e.g., soy, hemp, pea)
    nutritional yeast (try it on popcorn, in omelets or scrambled eggs, sprinkled on tomato soup, sprinkled on pasta, mixed into rice or potato dishes...)
  • AsellusReborn
    Oh tofu is a great idea. I knew I was forgetting something!!

I do do pb and nut stuff but find it's not enough protein for the overall calories.

I do a lot of lentils, love them. Beans too, veggie bean burritos and such are yum.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Nut butters, eggs, beans, quinoa. There's always protein powder, too. You can put that in lots of things, including coffee and baked goods.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    eggs are the next in line... after that I shudder to say beans/legumes- because compared to meats- it's not really a good source- but it is A source.

I regularly eat them as my meals.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    hbarnstein wrote: »
    Oh tofu is a great idea. I knew I was forgetting something!!

I do do pb and nut stuff but find it's not enough protein for the overall calories.

I do a lot of lentils, love them. Beans too, veggie bean burritos and such are yum.

Yes. I love Black Bean soup too.

yrn5of697a20.jpg

One can get enough protein as long as you limit pasta, bread, rice, pizza and only have one or two fruits a day.
    Eat lots of leafy greens. They have protein.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Fish and seafood, canned tuna being the easiest, but if you like to cook, a lot more options.
    that is meat
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    I'm a voracious carnivore, but I love the quorn "not" mince and the quorn "not" chicken pieces because they're so easy to cook with and go well with most sauces.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    I for some reason have difficulties touching raw meat (grosses me out). I've started eating fake meat... it is more expensive, and yes it is processed. But I find it is rather yummy. And has a decent amount of protein.
    I definitely think I might have some issues with dairy as well. I have not yet went completely dairy free. But will probably shortly.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @hbarnstein , I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so here goes: PB2! All the protein, none of the fat. Try also edamame seed pods, which sit right in the middle of the macro triangle (nearly equal portions carb, protein, and fat).
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    hbarnstein wrote: »
    ...what are good sources of protein?

I have recently decided to bite the bullet and admit that I can't tolerate dairy the way I used to. (There's a long back story but essentially I had to cut it out of my diet to nurse my son due to his intolerances - when I went to add it back I found out it gave me GI distress in anything over teeny tiny portions). I used to eat cottage cheese and mozzarella sticks for a bit of protein, and use a powdered whey protein supplement..but these led to some unpleasant runs. :(

And I am not vegetarian - I CAN eat meat - but I have found that I just don't want to lately. It rarely sounds good. I can do it, but usually it's because I make myself - so I'll eat a turkey burger or a chicken breast or something.

I do eat eggs and beans. I know this is a stupid question but anyone have any other good ideas to throw at me?
    Just food a variety of vegetables, beans grains and nuts. It's really not hard to hit protein goals there's protein everywhere. A cup of oatmeal 7grams a cup of broccoli 4 grams. 200g tofu 12 grams a cup of soya milk 6 grams I could go on just go for a variety of foods and its pretty easy to hit protein without meat or dairy. It's just getting out of the mindset that meat and dairy are the best sources.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I've switched to no meat, non-fat dairy only for health reasons (high bad cholesterol came out of nowhere even after losing 65 lbs). I do eat fish and eggs, but I've found beans, nuts and nut butters, seeds, tofu, tempeh are all good sources of protein while also providing variety. There is a whole world of nuts and seeds out there, so you don't just have to eat peanuts or almonds! It all depends what amount of protein you are aiming for really. I generally eat high-fat (40%), but still manage to get ~20% protein without trying most days.

Tempeh has got to be one of my favorite things right now - you can steam it, marinade it, grill it, bake it, stir fry it. It has a nuttier mouthfeel/taste than tofu but still soaks up flavors. Tofu is pretty handy, since you can use silken tofu to provide creaminess to dishes like soups or dips, while not overwhelming any flavors.

I've researched vegan recipe blogs and used some vegetarian recipes, but just kept the dairy out and that works well. Just make sure that you use database entries which include the right amount of protein.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @hbarnstein , I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so here goes: PB2! All the protein, none of the fat. Try also edamame seed pods, which sit right in the middle of the macro triangle (nearly equal portions carb, protein, and fat).

Yes! PB2 is the best invention in the history of humanity (ok maybe that was a big call, but that stuff is sensational). Also edamame... actually edamame with a PB2 sauce is one of my favourite things...