Can you visualize what life will be like after you've reached your goal?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    taentea wrote: »
    Unlike a lot of posters here, I do see how weight loss could change my life in big ways. My weight has always been a major problem that hindered me in all areas of my life. It's just something I could never accept about myself. It always felt like a wrong version of me that I simply refused to show to the world, turning away a lot of great opportunities simply so I didn't have to show myself to people. Failed education, countless work proposals refused, non-existing social and personal life – my weight is why. So yeah, I count on that actually changing once I'm done, as I'm a gifted student, a passionate and knowledgable professional, a faithful friend and a generally decent, confident and even physically attractive person when I'm not busy burring myself under my own fat.

This kind of happened to me. I was rejected at a job interview for "not seeming energetic enough" to be a programmer, by a guy who was very ho-hum himself and overweight.
    Wow. Usually putting on enough clothes to go out in public and not be arrested and then making it to the interview is plenty energetic for a programmer.

Not in my company....
    Good thing I made enough to retire in my 40s working at places more concerned with results, then.
    Well, I do have depression, thought then and now it is under treatment. I wasn't terribly enthused about working for a company that seemed like it was circling the drain the way Borders was, particularly when it was 2010 and they were talking about their software still using stuff that takes Visual Studio 6 to compile.
    Ouch. I can see not rewriting stuff that's working fine, but that stuff should already be compiled and an external reference, IMO. There shouldn't be any need to keep compiling it along with new code.
    One of the people on the team seemed almost happy or proud saying how far back a version of visual studio it used. I wasn't sure if he was making the usual developer sarcasm, or really didn't give a care about that kind of accumulated technical debt. As I see, it should need re-writes regardless because there is no way they could guarantee security on something that relies on so many things that reached EOL status.
    Depends on what it was doing and where it was in the architecture. If it's not directly accessible externally, there should be plenty of security between it and the outside world. If that security has failed, there's no reason to expect rewritten code that wasn't EOL would make any difference at that point, anyway. If it's directly accessible and still being compiled as part of current builds, yeah, make whatever changes are necessary to get it to build with a more recent framework.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    taentea wrote: »
    Unlike a lot of posters here, I do see how weight loss could change my life in big ways. My weight has always been a major problem that hindered me in all areas of my life. It's just something I could never accept about myself. It always felt like a wrong version of me that I simply refused to show to the world, turning away a lot of great opportunities simply so I didn't have to show myself to people. Failed education, countless work proposals refused, non-existing social and personal life – my weight is why. So yeah, I count on that actually changing once I'm done, as I'm a gifted student, a passionate and knowledgable professional, a faithful friend and a generally decent, confident and even physically attractive person when I'm not busy burring myself under my own fat.

This kind of happened to me. I was rejected at a job interview for "not seeming energetic enough" to be a programmer, by a guy who was very ho-hum himself and overweight.
    Wow. Usually putting on enough clothes to go out in public and not be arrested and then making it to the interview is plenty energetic for a programmer.

Not in my company....
    Good thing I made enough to retire in my 40s working at places more concerned with results, then.
    Well, I do have depression, thought then and now it is under treatment. I wasn't terribly enthused about working for a company that seemed like it was circling the drain the way Borders was, particularly when it was 2010 and they were talking about their software still using stuff that takes Visual Studio 6 to compile.
    Ouch. I can see not rewriting stuff that's working fine, but that stuff should already be compiled and an external reference, IMO. There shouldn't be any need to keep compiling it along with new code.
    One of the people on the team seemed almost happy or proud saying how far back a version of visual studio it used. I wasn't sure if he was making the usual developer sarcasm, or really didn't give a care about that kind of accumulated technical debt. As I see, it should need re-writes regardless because there is no way they could guarantee security on something that relies on so many things that reached EOL status.
    Depends on what it was doing and where it was in the architecture. If it's not directly accessible externally, there should be plenty of security between it and the outside world. If that security has failed, there's no reason to expect rewritten code that wasn't EOL would make any difference at that point, anyway. If it's directly accessible and still being compiled as part of current builds, yeah, make whatever changes are necessary to get it to build with a more recent framework.
    It was the framework that sent their credit card information and point of sales information across the internet though.

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    No I cant. I try to sometimes but I've always been overweight so I have no reference. I also think I'll always look overweight to myself, even now I look like I still weigh 42kg heavier.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    About the only change will be I'll eat a more reasonable amount. More reasonable than before I started and more reasonable than while I was losing. Well, and some new clothes.

I still won't be able to go shirtless; I have too many scars.
    I still won't be able to buy much of my clothes in regular stores; I'm too tall for that.
    I still won't be able to fit very well in airplane seats; legroom was always the problem, not width.

People will still stare at me. People will still ask where I played basketball.

I guess I might live longer, but maybe not, and it's not like I'll ever know, anyway. I never defined myself in terms of my weight, or lack thereof, so that won't change. I'll still be me, with the same worries, concerns, bills, family, etc., there will just be less of me and my proportions will be different.

Ahem, some...some ladies might not mind this... :*

Chicks dig scars!
  • senecarr
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    About the only change will be I'll eat a more reasonable amount. More reasonable than before I started and more reasonable than while I was losing. Well, and some new clothes.

I still won't be able to buy much of my clothes in regular stores; I'm too tall for that.
    I still won't be able to fit very well in airplane seats; legroom was always the problem, not width.

I guess I might live longer, but maybe not, and it's not like I'll ever know, anyway. I never defined myself in terms of my weight, or lack thereof, so that won't change. I'll still be me, with the same worries, concerns, bills, family, etc., there will just be less of me and my proportions will be different.

Chicks dig scars!

Looks like I'm off to find a knife fight.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Chicks dig scars!

Be sure to have a knife. It's a lot dicier when the other guy has one and you don't.

• senecarr
    Options

Chicks dig scars!

Be sure to have a knife. It's a lot dicier when the other guy has one and you don't.
    I thought the best thing was to bring a gun?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Chicks dig scars!

I thought the best thing was to bring a gun?
    I do, now. It wasn't legal then.

Even so, a gun might prevent you from getting any scars at all.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have reached goal...

it didn't change my life,
    I look like a smaller version of me,
    self image didn't change,
    feels great (mainly due to lack of aches and pains)
    lifestyle didn't change once I hit maintenance...still logged accurately and consistently and exercising.
    No problems...
    people respond?...hmmm nothing really.
    New Ops...I quit smoking and started running.

If anyone thinks losing weight will change these things...eh...not sure they do. If you aren't happy when you are bigger why would you be happier when you lose weight...????

Not trying to be a downer but them's the facts.

I'll bite. So why lose weight? OK, health. Take that one off the table. Too obvious. So let's phrase is this way, why diet down and/or become fit beyond what is considered relatively healthy/average/etc? In other words, why is everyone trying to get a six pack? And no "I do it for me" bs answers. That can mean anything. I brush my teeth for me. That is, so they don't get narly, so my breath doesn't smell, and so people don't look at me funny. That's the same as "doing it for me."

Why rule out health and "I do it for me" as too obvious and bs answers and, therefore, unworthy of being the truth? A lot of people lose weight/exercise/get fit for exactly those reasons.

My answers:

Say you get to your goal weight; how will that change your life? What will you look like? How will your self image change? What will it feel like?

Rather than a goal weight, I have a physique goal and it's really just seeing my saggy stomach shrink up. I feel way more self conscious about my looks now than I did when I was 55 pound heavier and all of it is focused on that one area of my body. Something like 85% of my body makes me happy and 15% does but the 15% seems to outweigh the 85% in my mind and it's not something that I have direct control over. I can control my CICO but I can't control whether or not my skin recovers and that really sucks.

How will your lifestyle change when you enter maintenance mode? What problems will you encounter?

I'm in maintenance right now. My lifestyle is not really any different from when I was losing. I'm still counting calories, still exercising. I'm not having problems with the transition. I've taken several maintenance breaks over the past 18 months so moving to long term maintenance hasn't been scary or problematic.

How will people respond? What new opportunities will you have?

I don't think that people respond to me differently now compared to when I was losing. The only people who really know that I'm maintaining are my husband and the ones on my friends list. I'm not even sure that people respond to me differently now compared to before I lost weight. People who I haven't seen in awhile have said "wow, you look good!" but these are people who I was friendly with back then. I'm not really social IRL. When I go out, I do whatever I need to do and don't pay a whole lot of attention to other people. I'm not a complete hermit (though the idea is attractive to me at times) but I'm saying that if people are noticing me, I'm not noticing that they are noticing me. I also haven't had any situations where people have acted negatively toward me. So, socially, it's pretty much same old same old.

As far as new opportunities, I guess I have the opportunity not to develop Type II diabetes the way a lot of my relatives have? I don't see any job prospects coming from having lost weight if that's what you mean.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have reached goal...

lifestyle didn't change once I hit maintenance...still logged accurately and consistently and exercising.
    No problems...

If anyone thinks losing weight will change these things...eh...not sure they do. If you aren't happy when you are bigger why would you be happier when you lose weight...????

I'll bite. So why lose weight? OK, health. Take that one off the table. Too obvious. So let's phrase is this way, why diet down and/or become fit beyond what is considered relatively healthy/average/etc? In other words, why is everyone trying to get a six pack? And no "I do it for me" bs answers. That can mean anything. I brush my teeth for me. That is, so they don't get narly, so my breath doesn't smell, and so people don't look at me funny. That's the same as "doing it for me."

Why rule out health and "I do it for me" as too obvious and bs answers and, therefore, unworthy of being the truth? A lot of people lose weight/exercise/get fit for exactly those reasons.

I rule it out because it's away of getting around listing a real reason. It's a catch all. This thread was about specifics and how specifically you think you're life with change. Stef's assertion seemed to be that it won't really change much. So that prompts the obvious question: Why go above and beyond what bare minimum needed for health if there's no positive effect on your life? It'd certainly be easier to just be "sorta chubby but still healthy" or "kinda fit but not really super fit" etc etc. But everyone seems to want a six pack. So, why? Achieving this obviously gains them something, especially considering how shallow our society is.
    I'm trying to recapture my lost youth and avoid facing my own mortality through having a body like I did in my teens and twenties.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

I rule it out because it's away of getting around listing a real reason. It's a catch all. This thread was about specifics and how specifically you think you're life with change. Stef's assertion seemed to be that it won't really change much. So that prompts the obvious question: Why go above and beyond what bare minimum needed for health if there's no positive effect on your life? It'd certainly be easier to just be "sorta chubby but still healthy" or "kinda fit but not really super fit" etc etc. But everyone seems to want a six pack. So, why? Achieving this obviously gains them something, especially considering how shallow our society is.

I have absolutely no interest in getting a six pack so maybe my opinions don't matter but maybe going above and beyond is fun/enjoyable? It's fun to challenge oneself.
  • peach8383
    peach8383 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was always thin. Gained weight after 4th child. Worked hard to successfully lose it after 4 years of carrying too much weight. Looked and felt great. Getting back there WAS everything I dreamed it would be. It was so exciting BUT I did not develop sustainable healthy eating and exercise habits in the process and have let it creep back on plus more. I KNOW what a positive impact it will have on my life. I have been there. I know not everyone ties their body image to their self image as closely as I do, but for me, being close to my ideal weight is akin to feeling like myself. I was happy with my self control and my body image all the years I was lower on the scale. I am tremendously unhappy with it now. There isn't a day it isn't on my mind. Problem is the past cutting calories diet, wrong foods and getting older have seemed to throw up a brick wall between me and my thin self. All the while I struggle to figure out how to get past that wall, I am self conscious to the point of not wanting to go places or dress nicely.
    I don't do things with my kids I might do otherwise (put on a bathing suit and get in the pool or get out on tennis court because I don't want to put on suitable apparel. I am sure there are those like me who the health benefits of weight loss will even be secondary to the exhilarated feeling of gaining control over your weight and discovering your thin self again. Don't let anyone discourage you. If you dream of a thinner healthier self you won't be disappointed at how excited it will be to get there.
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've been thin, average, lean, chubby, and obese and everything in between...honestly nothing in my life has changed no matter what weight I am. Men still look at me the same, people have always treated me the same. I have never let my weight control how I carry myself or how I perceive who I am on the inside. The only thing being smaller will help me achieve is being able to buy smaller clothes at a more reasonable price and of course the most important thing is possibly being much healthier.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

What are you basing this assumption on? I certainly don't have an interest in a six pack and I'm betting there's a lot of people here who are the same way. I did lose the weight for health reasons. If you read my response to the OP's question I answered no longer a pre-diabetic and improved blood panels/health first. For me, the lower weight I am, the lower my glucose number is. I have the test results to prove this. Pretty straightforward.

There's all sorts of other benefits to being a healthy weight, but that's all secondary to my new, better health.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't have an interest in a six pack and I'm betting there's a lot of people here who are the same way.

Not to be totally creepy, but I don't care about a 6-pack, but would love your mid-section.

I don't think there's any inconsistency, though, between saying that you don't think things will fundamentally change, that you will be a different person, or that you will have no more self-confidence at goal and still wanting some perks like looking really good to yourself in a wider variety of clothes or being more easily able to find clothes you enjoy wearing. It's totally vain, sure, but I like vintage clothes and it's much easier to find stuff that looks good at a thinner weight than I am now (I'm a 4-6 US sizes, based on current sizes, but also 5'3).

Beyond that, I had no health issues but certainly worried about developing them, and I feel far better when I'm really active and find it more enjoyable to be active when I'm lighter, as I tend to be more energetic, recover quicker, etc. I'm also interesting in gaining muscle in part for looks but in part because there are some benefits to having some strength (saying this as someone who has never been particularly strong and likes being able to carry things).
  • senecarr
    Options
    All I know is as a male here getting lean is rammed down your throat. I challenge you to find one guy that says he wants to be 20% body fat. Most are trying to get to 10 it seems like. It's purely aesthetic at that point. Not a bad thing. Just an observation. They must think it's changing something about their lives. How people view them I guess. Having people kiss their butts for being so fit. I dunno. The usual round of human nature vanity reasons. You know, the things people lump in with "I do it for me."
    Men being hyper-competitive and goal oriented? Impossible.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Say you get to your goal weight
    Ok. You get to your goal weight.

I got to mine but I also started setting fitness goals. Any weight goals are just a means to hitting my fitness goals. (Weighing less to change my strength/weight ratio so I can run faster, climb farther, etc.)

how will that change your life?
    I have tons of energy and feel great. My immune system is stronger and I get sick less often, less severely, and it goes away much more quickly.

What will you look like?
    I look like me, only better.

How will your self image change?
    When I saw my visceral fat on a CT scan I was really really creeped out. I love my body but that excess fat is not part of "my body." It felt like I had a parasitic alien waiting to burst out of my chest and was a large part of my motivation when I started.

What will it feel like?
    It feels like youth.

How will your lifestyle change when you enter maintenance mode?
    I am more active. Beyond that I couldn't tell you because having kids changed (and is changing) my lifestyle so much that anything else is just noise.

What problems will you encounter?
    Injuries and overtraining from discovering my limits.

How will people respond?
    I'm too introverted to notice or care. But I suspect anyone who would react negatively would probably have already found me annoying.

What new opportunities will you have?
    I have the opportunity to live longer, play with my kids, and see them grow up. I have the opportunity to pay lower premiums on my life insurance policy. I also have opportunities to enjoy things I love like diving, swimming, climbing, biking, running around, etc.