Calorie Question...

Options
Strange question
Lets say someone is told they need to eat 1200 cals a day...and that person would eat the 1200 cals which includes junk and unhealthy foods (ie. burgers, fries, ice cream...). can this person really still lose weight

Replies

• jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Yes.
    Well, not as effectively, but absolutely. You should look up the "Twinkie diet." Someone did an experiment just like this and did successfully lose weight!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    They would lose weight, just not get healthy! :) Me, I want to reduce my blood pressure, my cholesterol, and my blood sugars, so its more about eating healthy, and not just crappy foods.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Here's a guy who lost 27 pounds eating nothing but Hostess, and Little Debbie stuff. He relied on calorie restriction alone. His LDL dropped, his HDL increased, and his triglycerides plumme ted. It defies logic, but he is a nutrition professor and wanted to see what would happen. Here's the story: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Oh, and the other problem would be that a lot of times unhealthy food doesn't have a lot of protein or fiber, which means that if it were me, I would be STARVING on that 1200.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Since you lose weight by eating a lesser number of calories than the number of calories you burn, yes it is possible to eat junk and still lose weight. It's just not the healthy way to do it.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    Here's a guy who lost 27 pounds eating nothing but Hostess, and Little Debbie stuff. He relied on calorie restriction alone. His LDL dropped, his HDL increased, and his triglycerides plumme ted. It defies logic, but he is a nutrition professor and wanted to see what would happen. Here's the story: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Thanks for the link, that was really interesting!
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    I have read about the twinkie diet. Sounds like my cup of tea. But yes, you could restrict your calories, and do some exercise and still lose weight, regardless of what you eat. I have been there and done that. For me it is about being healthy all the way around because heart disease is something that my fam has suffered with and I don't want the same.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes but they would not be healthy. Did you ever see the documentry 30 day Donald Diet. Here is the site. Cut and paste.
    Mhttp://www.whale.to/a/mcdonalds
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    thanks for asking this question .. i'm not really eatting junk food but i'm not eatting healthy. i can't afford to :( its good to know i can still lose. i will try to eat more .. that sounds bad but i can't seem to eat enough to make my cal goal!! ugh
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    thanks for asking this question .. i'm not really eatting junk food but i'm not eatting healthy. i can't afford to :( its good to know i can still lose. i will try to eat more .. that sounds bad but i can't seem to eat enough to make my cal goal!! ugh

I don't believe it is cheaper to eat unhealthy. It's just more convenient!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Actually many healthier choices are more expensive. Not all, but a lot. You can buy a lot more crap food with $50 than you can healthy food.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i am forced to eat raman soup .. which costs maybe 30 cents a pack .. for dinner n sometimes for lunch .. what can i buy that cost that much?

Actually many healthier choices are more expensive. Not all, but a lot. You can buy a lot more crap food with $50 than you can healthy food.