Lower body help!

Options
Good day,
My thighs has always been my problem area for me. When i gain weight these are the first that ballons up. I'm not a gym goer and running is not a fun activity for me so it's something that I never stick too.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I can tone my thighs at home. I'm presently doing kickboxing to get my cardio in.
Thank you in advance.

Height 5'2
Weight 147
goal weight 135

If anyone in this category and would like to add me as friend to share there dairy with me on how they lose and maintain weight loss that would be helpful as well.

Thanks again.

Replies

• jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are your first port of call most definitely. Don't forget tone is a by product of fat loss, which can only be achieved by training and diet!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lifting weights, along with squats and Lunges will be helpful.
    I've also heard Cycling (outdoors) is very good for the Legs!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce the fat. Therefore, you can't spot tone. ("Toning" is generally a result of lowering fat in an area). So you'll need to reduce overall body fat.

Lifting weights is a good way to help lower body fat. Cycling is another great exercise, just like any cardio that you enjoy. But in reality, it's going to be about how much you're eating. Make sure you're weighing and measuring properly and not overestimating calorie burns. And then be patient. It sounds like you tend to pear shape, so it may take a bit of extra time to see the results in your thighs.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If it's the first place you gain weight, then it will be the last place you lose it. Keep going, keep losing, and be patient. There really isn't a way to lose fat in one spot until your body is ready to let go of it there.
  • losingweightcanbefun
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    Squats and lunges are your first port of call most definitely. Don't forget tone is a by product of fat loss, which can only be achieved by training and diet!
    Thank you for your advice
  • losingweightcanbefun
    Options
    Lifting weights, along with squats and Lunges will be helpful.
    I've also heard Cycling (outdoors) is very good for the Legs!

Thank you
  • losingweightcanbefun
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce the fat. Therefore, you can't spot tone. ("Toning" is generally a result of lowering fat in an area). So you'll need to reduce overall body fat.

Lifting weights is a good way to help lower body fat. Cycling is another great exercise, just like any cardio that you enjoy. But in reality, it's going to be about how much you're eating. Make sure you're weighing and measuring properly and not overestimating calorie burns. And then be patient. It sounds like you tend to pear shape, so it may take a bit of extra time to see the results in your thighs.

thanks I'll try to be patient, but boy when you want result, sigh.
  • losingweightcanbefun
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    If it's the first place you gain weight, then it will be the last place you lose it. Keep going, keep losing, and be patient. There really isn't a way to lose fat in one spot until your body is ready to let go of it there.
    Thanks, makes sense didn't see it like that.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like jump rope. It's an amazing workout. I know you say running isn't an enjoyable activity for you, but do you enjoy walking at a brisk pace? That's also very good for toning the legs, even more so than running.
  • losingweightcanbefun
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    I like jump rope. It's an amazing workout. I know you say running isn't an enjoyable activity for you, but do you enjoy walking at a brisk pace? That's also very good for toning the legs, even more so than running.
    Thanks, was thinking about adding jump rope to by kickboxing routine, so would definitely do that.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would recommend focusing on reducing your weight, especially your body fat percentage, while adding jump rope and kick boxing.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    Thanks, was thinking about adding jump rope to by kickboxing routine, so would definitely do that.

I have thick thighs too... they're looking a lot smaller now and all I do is a brisk 20 minute walk on the treadmill (at various inclines), jump rope and lot of weighted squats, lunges.