Weight Gain from IUD/Depression

Options
I am 20 years old, 5'3", almost 260 lbs, living in my own home with my boyfriend of 5 years and going to college full time while working 2 jobs. And I don't know what to do to get my life back. I got the hormonal Intrauterine Device Mirena implanted about 4 years ago...as soon as I got it I gained about 30 pounds over just a few months. With such a significant weight gain, I began to emotionally eat and packed on even more weight. I was never small but my curves worked well on me...now at almost 260 pounds...I am extremely over weight and suffering emotionally and physically in every aspect of life. I truly want my life to change but I just don't see how it's possible. I'm to busy, to poor to eat well, won't be supported by my boyfriend, HATE the idea of excersizing, don't even know how to excersize....are all my empty excuses. I know it's ridiculous but it's how I feel. I just rejoined MyFitnessPal & I'm restarting my health Instagram. I'm hoping that if I can't keep myself acountable because I simply don't care what happens to me anymore...that the responsibility to others watching me will help me fake it until I make it. I know I can't change truly till I want it...but I need to start somewhere. I desperately want to have children...and I can't have a safe pregnancy or raise them like they deserve until I am healthy...so I'm trying to do this for them too. I don't know if anyone can relate to this but I'd love to hear from others. I have pushed all my friends away because I don't want peopleto see how ddisgusting I am. And my boyfriend says he still loves me & is attracted to me but I simply don't understand how that could be true so I keep him at a distance too...so I really need someone. I don't really feel like I can do this alone but it really needs to happen or I know I'm going to become sick and I will never truly live my life. Anyway...rambling over. Let's hope this time I can stick to this.

Replies

• laurakelly6
    laurakelly6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know how you feel. I got really depressed when I put on a bunch of weight after i got married. I would really like to help you. Ive lost roughly 40 lbs with the help of this app and I think with some motivation, you can too! I know the relief I felt mentally when the weight came off and I know you will begin to feel so much better when it happens for you! Let's work together and gain that confidence back!!
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello, I started at 259 and am now 205. I took an almost two year break and have been back for a little over 2 months. Its possible and you can do it. You don't have to exercise to lose weight but I would recommend starting some sirt of movement you enjoy.
  • TwylahOnTrack
    TwylahOnTrack Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know how you feel. I got really depressed when I put on a bunch of weight after i got married. I would really like to help you. Ive lost roughly 40 lbs with the help of this app and I think with some motivation, you can too! I know the relief I felt mentally when the weight came off and I know you will begin to feel so much better when it happens for you! Let's work together and gain that confidence back!!

Truly, I would love any support. I KNOW there would be mental relief if I felt better physically! My struggle is just sticking to this. Definitely easier with others pushing me, thank you!
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    Hello, I started at 259 and am now 205. I took an almost two year break and have been back for a little over 2 months. Its possible and you can do it. You don't have to exercise to lose weight but I would recommend starting some sirt of movement you enjoy.

Love hearing success! I definitely agree that excersize is key. For me, I was raised vegetarian but began eating meat when I met my boyfriend, I also have serious gluten/wheat intolerance that I ignore. I think if I eliminated meat and gluten from my diet again, that alone will create a big change. And I will start actually excersizing as well...will be much easier to do so when my insides feel better from better nourishment!
  • Sparkles281
    Sparkles281 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also on Mirena (however my weight gain was due to good ol' fashioned over eating and not moving) and so far using MyFitnessPal I've lost 31 lbs and counting. The beginning is so hard - it's like being at the base of Everest and looking up; so far to go and you know the way won't be easy, but it will change your life. Try to focus on the things you CAN change. If money is tight and healthy foods aren't feasible, maybe focus on exercise. You say you don't know how to exercise, but I bet you know how to walk :P Walking is free.99 and has been shown to greatly reduce stress and anxiety. If the thought of being out in the open exercising makes you panic (I've been there) try a trail through the woods, it's secluded and peaceful so you won't feel so exposed. Don't give up before you start, you'll be delighted at what you can accomplish if you keep working on it. Have a bad day, dust yourself off and move forward! :)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena, had a baby between them, and didn't gain a pound due to it. I gained weight because I didn't watch what I ate and I was lazy. I work 50 hours a week, go to school every day and have a husband and 4 kids to feed and take care of. I MAKE the time and you need to also. You say your boyfriend is unsupportive? You also say your 20 and he's the guy you've been with for 5 years? Personally, I'd reevaluate my relationship but that's just my opinion. A girl I worked with once wanted to lose weight for her wedding. She bought her dress 6 sizes too small because that was her goal. I admired her because she did it in 6 months. I asked her how and she said she simply cut her meals in half and stopped snacking. Instead of eating 4 pieces of pizza at dinner, she'd eat only 2. It's not always about actually counting calories as much as it is just knowing you're not eating as much as you're used to. I'd start with that and then work your way up to being more active and actually counting calories. You'd be surprised how much motivation very little effort can bring.
  • msjohnson426
    msjohnson426 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 20 years old, 5'3", almost 260 lbs, living in my own home with my boyfriend of 5 years and going to college full time while working 2 jobs. And I don't know what to do to get my life back. I got the hormonal Intrauterine Device Mirena implanted about 4 years ago...as soon as I got it I gained about 30 pounds over just a few months. With such a significant weight gain, I began to emotionally eat and packed on even more weight. I was never small but my curves worked well on me...now at almost 260 pounds...I am extremely over weight and suffering emotionally and physically in every aspect of life. I truly want my life to change but I just don't see how it's possible. I'm to busy, to poor to eat well, won't be supported by my boyfriend, HATE the idea of excersizing, don't even know how to excersize....are all my empty excuses. I know it's ridiculous but it's how I feel. I just rejoined MyFitnessPal & I'm restarting my health Instagram. I'm hoping that if I can't keep myself acountable because I simply don't care what happens to me anymore...that the responsibility to others watching me will help me fake it until I make it. I know I can't change truly till I want it...but I need to start somewhere. I desperately want to have children...and I can't have a safe pregnancy or raise them like they deserve until I am healthy...so I'm trying to do this for them too. I don't know if anyone can relate to this but I'd love to hear from others. I have pushed all my friends away because I don't want peopleto see how ddisgusting I am. And my boyfriend says he still loves me & is attracted to me but I simply don't understand how that could be true so I keep him at a distance too...so I really need someone. I don't really feel like I can do this alone but it really needs to happen or I know I'm going to become sick and I will never truly live my life. Anyway...rambling over. Let's hope this time I can stick to this.

Hi there hun! After finding the love of my life I went back on birth control pills. Then 3 years into my relationship I decided I wanted my tubes tied and so I had it done. The weight gain from the birth control still lingers. I had seen myself going up to 200 llbs and I am now down to 188 with a year in a half. I have no been consistent but remember its not a race its a lifestyle change. You are a very beautiful girl and you will find great motivation here
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena, had a baby between them, and didn't gain a pound due to it. I gained weight because I didn't watch what I ate and I was lazy. I work 50 hours a week, go to school every day and have a husband and 4 kids to feed and take care of. I MAKE the time and you need to also. You say your boyfriend is unsupportive? You also say your 20 and he's the guy you've been with for 5 years? Personally, I'd reevaluate my relationship but that's just my opinion. A girl I worked with once wanted to lose weight for her wedding. She bought her dress 6 sizes too small because that was her goal. I admired her because she did it in 6 months. I asked her how and she said she simply cut her meals in half and stopped snacking. Instead of eating 4 pieces of pizza at dinner, she'd eat only 2. It's not always about actually counting calories as much as it is just knowing you're not eating as much as you're used to. I'd start with that and then work your way up to being more active and actually counting calories. You'd be surprised how much motivation very little effort can bring.

For me, Mirena started the weight gain BIG time for me. After those first 30lbs though...the responsibilty is mine alone. And again, all my excuses are just that, excuses. I was just explaining wjat goes through my head whenever I start to make a change. And as for my boyfriend, It's not that he is unsuportive. It's that he has no interest in eating better and I cook all the meals so it's hard to do two different things. Past that, I just fully exclude him from my struggles because it is so very painful and embarrassing. I think you are very right though about food intake. If I made an effort to just eat less, that alone would help. Also eating more regularly, because as I'm sure you clearly know, hectic schedules can make it hard to eat regularly! Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    I'm also on Mirena (however my weight gain was due to good ol' fashioned over eating and not moving) and so far using MyFitnessPal I've lost 31 lbs and counting. The beginning is so hard - it's like being at the base of Everest and looking up; so far to go and you know the way won't be easy, but it will change your life. Try to focus on the things you CAN change. If money is tight and healthy foods aren't feasible, maybe focus on exercise. You say you don't know how to exercise, but I bet you know how to walk :P Walking is free.99 and has been shown to greatly reduce stress and anxiety. If the thought of being out in the open exercising makes you panic (I've been there) try a trail through the woods, it's secluded and peaceful so you won't feel so exposed. Don't give up before you start, you'll be delighted at what you can accomplish if you keep working on it. Have a bad day, dust yourself off and move forward! :)

Haha! You are so very right...even a walk is better than nothing! Baby steps right? Thank you for this, I love the idea of a good trail walk...maybe I can even work up to a jog out there by myself!
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience with the IUD Paragard. I gained 30 lbs over the first 3 months of having it, and due to the rapid weight gain/bloating/pain, I was unable to continue my normal workout routine. I couldn't even ride a bike or walk it was so painful!

I had it removed 2.5 years later and lost 15 lbs in the first month. I'm still overweight, but I understand the psychological damage rapid weight gain from the IUD can have. I had the IUD removed this year, so I'm slowly trying to recover from the crazy changes to my body that have happened in such a short time.

I support you and your journey. Feel free to friend me! Now I am just focused on exercising an hour a day and tracking my calories and just hoping over time I will slowly lose all this excess fat! *hugs*
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    Hi there hun! After finding the love of my life I went back on birth control pills. Then 3 years into my relationship I decided I wanted my tubes tied and so I had it done. The weight gain from the birth control still lingers. I had seen myself going up to 200 llbs and I am now down to 188 with a year in a half. I have no been consistent but remember its not a race its a lifestyle change. You are a very beautiful girl and you will find great motivation here

Hi! Thank you! I appreciate hearing from someone who also understands the havoc hormonal alterations like birth control can cause. I feel like people always say it'sjust an excuse. But it really destructed my body. The extra weight I take full responsibility for after I turned to emotional eating. You are so right about it being a lifestyle. I think if I really get that into my mind that will be the turning point. I need to decide and mean I want a healthier life. Thank you for your kind words!
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    I had a similar experience with the IUD Paragard. I gained 30 lbs over the first 3 months of having it, and due to the rapid weight gain/bloating/pain, I was unable to continue my normal workout routine. I couldn't even ride a bike or walk it was so painful!

I had it removed 2.5 years later and lost 15 lbs in the first month. I'm still overweight, but I understand the psychological damage rapid weight gain from the IUD can have. I had the IUD removed this year, so I'm slowly trying to recover from the crazy changes to my body that have happened in such a short time.

I support you and your journey. Feel free to friend me! Now I am just focused on exercising an hour a day and tracking my calories and just hoping over time I will slowly lose all this excess fat! *hugs*

This is my story exactly!!! Finally someone who gets it! I've left it in for nearly 4 years because it really was just a convenient option but I can't let myself suffer anymore. I've made 3 different appointments over the years to have it removed and never went to any of them but I have an appointment 3 days from now and fully intend to go. Especially hearing that life really can change afterwards. My mind and body definitely deserve to be happy and healthy again. Thank you for the support and encouragement. I'm so grateful for this! *hugs!*
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You are not disgusting and you deserve to have friends. I'm glad you reached out here.

Walking is awesome. It's the non-exercise-exercise because we do it all the time without thinking about it! Put the headphones on and some of your favorite jams and go! Just go longer than you normally would. :)

I think talking to your doctor - especially if you are feeling depressed - about what you've found with the Mirena device is something you should do right away. I took birth control pills for a very long time and often thought I was depressed...until I quit taking it. I know you're not ready to get pregnant, but there are other means of b/c you can use that are not hormonal. While Mirena says, "We don't contain estrogen!" it still has progestin, a hormone, and in my personal (not professional) experience, I find I'm sensitive in a variety of ways to anything that tinkers with my normal hormonal balance.

While you sound like you are taking some responsibility by not blaming the b/c, once you gained those 30 pounds, hormone levels may be further affected. Higher levels of estrogen might make it difficult to lose, depending on what you read. It's not an excuse, but it may let you know what's at play. All stuff to talk to your doctor about.

You can do this and I believe you will. One step at a time, one meal at a time, one measured portion at a time. If you need friends, I'm glad to be one!
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    You are not disgusting and you deserve to have friends. I'm glad you reached out here.

Walking is awesome. It's the non-exercise-exercise because we do it all the time without thinking about it! Put the headphones on and some of your favorite jams and go! Just go longer than you normally would. :)

I think talking to your doctor - especially if you are feeling depressed - about what you've found with the Mirena device is something you should do right away. I took birth control pills for a very long time and often thought I was depressed...until I quit taking it. I know you're not ready to get pregnant, but there are other means of b/c you can use that are not hormonal. While Mirena says, "We don't contain estrogen!" it still has progestin, a hormone, and in my personal (not professional) experience, I find I'm sensitive in a variety of ways to anything that tinkers with my normal hormonal balance.

While you sound like you are taking some responsibility by not blaming the b/c, once you gained those 30 pounds, hormone levels may be further affected. Higher levels of estrogen might make it difficult to lose, depending on what you read. It's not an excuse, but it may let you know what's at play. All stuff to talk to your doctor about.

You can do this and I believe you will. One step at a time, one meal at a time, one measured portion at a time. If you need friends, I'm glad to be one!

Yes, I feel like you may be right. I know Mirena and other hormonal BC is wonderful for some but I think, as you said, that I am just quite sensitive to such changes. Along with the weight is the emotional issues as well for sure. Either way, it is not a good fit for me at all so it is being removed pronto! Hopefully that will help Kickstart this journey! Thank you for such understanding and kind words. I am glad I reached out on here too because everyone has wonderful advice and it is such a supportive enviroment. I love this community of caring people! I'll definitely add you!
  • SarahKate2710
    SarahKate2710 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You're not alone hun! I had mirena for 3 years but I was never affected by weight gain (I was diagnosed with an eating disorder, so I wouldn't 'let' myself gain any weight.) I had to have mine taken out because it must have shifted and was causing horrible cramping. So back on the pill I went. Hopefully I'll be able to go off the pill this fall as my fiancee and I want to start trying, but there are so many factors stressing me out at the moment, stress eating has reared it's ugly head and I'm not too impressed with myself. I'll send a friend request, and I am always here to motivate and support in your journey.
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    You're not alone hun! I had mirena for 3 years but I was never affected by weight gain (I was diagnosed with an eating disorder, so I wouldn't 'let' myself gain any weight.) I had to have mine taken out because it must have shifted and was causing horrible cramping. So back on the pill I went. Hopefully I'll be able to go off the pill this fall as my fiancee and I want to start trying, but there are so many factors stressing me out at the moment, stress eating has reared it's ugly head and I'm not too impressed with myself. I'll send a friend request, and I am always here to motivate and support in your journey.

Yes the pain is a major issue, it's excruciating at times! I'm happy you got relief! If you could over come an eating disorder, you can over come this too, I have the utmost belief in you! I know it is no easy task though and much easier said than done so I too am here for you through your journey! I am an emotional eater and struggle with depression so I think we can both push eachother to stay strong through our different but similar expieriences! We got this! For ourselves and our future babies!