give me your best volume meals

Options
bezlooney
bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
Im a volume eater. Im only satisfied if i have a plate full of food. I would rather have quantity over a little taste of something. I will definetly sacrifice a taste to have lots of food. what are your best volumetrice meals?

Replies

• arlshar
    arlshar Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Beans, veggies, fruits, seeds, low fat cottage cheese.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    A piece of NY strip steak, cream cheese and chive mashed potatoes, and boiled broccoli. All I do is boil a few red potatoes, add a tablespoon or two of whipped cream cheese and chives, and a splash of skim milk with a little butter. Season them however I want. Usually I can make a protein packed 500 calorie meal out of this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just add non-starchy veggies to everything. You can "volumize" mashed potatoes or rice by adding cauliflower. Add carrots, onions, peppers, to pasta sauces. Use veggie noodles (squash, zucchini).

Add shredded cabbage and shredded broccoli to casseroles. Add peeled cucumber to fruit salad (sounds weird, but it has very little flavor). Potato salad can be 1/2 veggie, 1/2 potato (green beans, carrots, radishes).
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Veggie veggies veggies. Add a big salad to every meal, or some roasted/steamed/etc veggies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Dinner is my volume meal.

Tonight it will be sauteed fresh kale and broccoli greens, spaghetti with meatballs, and red wine. I plan on 3 oz of spaghetti because I need that to hit my fiber goal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Salad, easy on the dressing.
    Air-popped popcorn.
    Puffed wheat squares. Even dripping in candy it's lower calorie. Gotta love that air.
    Angel food cake.
    Any puffed grain. There's lots of selection at a Bulk Barn, Iike puffed millet.
    Shirataki noodles.
    Diet jell-o.
    Soups, light on the cream. You can blend vegetables or beans to get a creamier, filling texture.
    Mushrooms. I just looked up 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms, 100 calories, compared to 1 oz of steak, 97 calories. But 1 oz of dried mushrooms plumps up to about four cups. Volume, baby! Just be careful how much sauce you put with them.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How about fried rice...

Start with a teaspoon or two of oil, add some minced garlic or garlic paste, and then saute a cup of coleslaw mix. I like coleslaw mix because it has cabbage and carrot all in itty bitty pieces so I'm not getting big yuchy chunks of vegetable. Once that's soft, add a cup of cooked brown rice, and once that's heated, move it to the side and scramble an egg or two. You can remove one of the egg yolks if you're worried about calories/fat, but I don't recommend only using whites for this purpose. (The yolk is where all the yummy is!) Add additional seasoning to taste (I use soy sauce and some packaged hot fried rice powdered seasoning). Mix it up until it's all incorporated. You can get a big plate of fried rice without breaking the calorie bank. You can add whatever veggies you have on hand, frozen peas are good, as is broccoli.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    lots of roasted veggies
  • epd17
    epd17 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I swear by this meal when I need a full plate. It's so delicious I don't even care it's not really pasta.

Spaghetti Squash with Sauteed Shrimp

I usually buy a bag of frozen large/jumbo shrimp and make it a few times a week. If I'm making it for two I use the whole squash, if I'm making it just for myself I cut it in half horizontally and save the other in a zip lock.

Ingredients:
    1/2 Spaghetti Squash
    1/2 cup of Classico Basel and Tomato sauce
    minced garlic - I usually use a tablespoon
    1 tbsp butter
    3 oz of shrimp
    Parm Cheese

Thaw out 3 oz of frozen Shrimp or buy fresh uncooked shrimp. Slice Spaghetti Squash in half and put it in a glass casserole dish with about 1/4 cup of water. (You want the water to come up about 1/2 inch on the squash). Mcirowave for 12 minutes. Allow squash to cool and then scrape out strands with fork. (Caution that bad boy is coming out hot) Sometimes it's not cooked all the way through so I put in for another 6 minutes and scrape the rest out. This makes about 2-3 cups of squash.

Once you have your squash, melt butter and then add garlic. Sautee for a minute and then add squash. Stir it around to coat in butter and garlic. If your pan is big enough I push the squash to the side and sauteed the shrimp. I usually add a little PAM at this point. If not you can cook shrimp in a separate pan and just add them in when done. Once the shrimp is cooked add in the pasta sauce. Mix well and let it cook for another 2 minutes.

I sprinkle Parm Cheese on top when it's down. Oh baby is it good!!

I hope you enjoy...it's seriously delicious.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!

I just had 200g for lunch (62 calories) with 100g of ground turkey (120 calories) ......and then loaded with tons of cheese and stuff - but you can make it work great depending on how you like it!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I live for volume, lol. My diary is open. This isn't for everyone, but my favorite high volume breakfast is 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1 tbsp peanut butter, and 1 container of dannon greek yogurt (80calories). Total is less than 300 calories (I add some berries for more calories some times), but it fills up a big bowl and is very filling.

lunch usually is a salad, a container of cottage cheese, and fruit. It takes a decent amount of time to eat it all, but adds up to around 300 calories.

Dinner - if it's something calorie dense, I'll just eat a small portion and fill the rest of my plate with veggies. Sometimes I have so many veggies that my plate isn't big enough!
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Arugula salad with blue cheese, grape tomatoes, red onion, and avocado drizzled with olive oil.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    http://www.emilybites.com/2015/05/beef-enchilada-quinoa-bake.html

lots of bulk for little calories. I feel stuffed every time i make this! I sometimes substitute the hamburger for ground turkey. LOVE THIS!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Portobello mushrooms are low calorie and filling. Its about 30 calories per cap. You can fry em in a little olive oil or bake them in the oven. They soak up seasonings and marinade really well.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yes to volume! I prefer a huge plate of food as well. Here's what I can think of right off the top of my head...

Oatmeal. I eat oatmeal at work in a microwave, so I prefer instant oats for the convenience and flavor. I either buy the Walmart brand sugar free maple & brown sugar oatmeal packets or the OatFit maple & brown sugar or cinnamon bun oatmeal packets that I buy from target. I take 2 packets and the recommended amount of water, then add even more water - a little over half what one packet calls for. I microwave it for 2 minutes, add 50 grams of fresh blueberries and stir, microwave for another 2 minutes, add 1 serving PB2, cinnamon, and Walden Farms pancake syrup and stir, then microwave for an additional 30 seconds. The result is a huge bowl of delicious, fluffy, oatmeal.

Fruit. Berries are the lowest in calories/carbs, so I stick to those if I'm looking for volume. I also add fruit to salads made with baby spinach - fruit AND spinach leaves makes for a lot of volume for very few calories. I take 2 oz spinach, chop it up, then add 2-3 oz shredded chicken breast, 1 oz fat free feta crumbles, 10 grams toasted almond slivers, 50 grams each of blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, and some lemon juice instead of dressing. I don't like salads but this stuff is AMAZING. 317 calories (22c/8f/37p).

Sugar free jell-o. A whole box for 40 calories? Yes, please.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad.... Lots of veggies and salsa bulks it up a lot.
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to just sit and eat an entire container of salad mix or spinach - literally, just the leaves, or maybe squirted with some lemon juice. If you just want to eat a LOT, it's an interesting approach. I should try that again.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I just add non-starchy veggies to everything. You can "volumize" mashed potatoes or rice by adding cauliflower. Add carrots, onions, peppers, to pasta sauces. Use veggie noodles (squash, zucchini).

Add shredded cabbage and shredded broccoli to casseroles. Add peeled cucumber to fruit salad (sounds weird, but it has very little flavor). Potato salad can be 1/2 veggie, 1/2 potato (green beans, carrots, radishes).

Yes. Every soup, stew, chili, casserole, meatloaf, burger, meatball, nugget, burrito, frittata can be made with 50% non-starchy veg. Along with the veggie noodles, use them (or eggplant) layered into a lasagna instead of pasta, or you can use cauliflower to make cauliflower rice.
  • MakedaWK
    MakedaWK Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower, and of course, spinach - they will fill you up and keep the pounds off..
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Some of my favs:

Plate-sized egg thing: 3 servings egg beaters,1 piece 'natures own' butterbread, 3 oz fresh mushrooms, 2 slices sargento 'ultra thin' sharp cheddar, hand full of onions, 2 servings french green beans, 1/2 serving smoked salmon. Tear up the bread and cheese into the egg beaters and cook it 'giant pankcake' style in a non-stick pan. Saute the rest of the ingredients together (adding the salmon at the very end). Your egg concoction will be plate-sized and OH so fluffy, and you pile the rest on top. 340-380 calories depending on if you use any oil (I use a spritz of coconut or peanut just cause it makes everything brown nicely). Replace the salmon with bacon if you don't like salmon or it's too expensive (it'll just have less protein but similar calories)

<lean protein> n veggies: 1-2 servings 'tyson chicken tenders' (the 90 calorie/serving kind), swai fish, or other lean meat that's around 90 calories/serving, 2 servings 'honey gold potatoes' (the tiny ones that are 90 calories/148g), 2 servings other veggie of choice. Spray down a cookie sheet with a spray oil, sprinkle the sheet with garlic, cut the potatoes in half and put them cut-side-down. Spritz more oil over the top, sprinkle with more garlic, and start roasting them at 400. About 15 minutes later, flip them off the cut side - they should be brown on the bottom. Add your veggies and shake the pan around a bit so any oil and garlic left on the pan coats them too. Put your protein in another pan with whatever flavor you want (I add low sodium soy and garlic to chicken, and lemon, garlic, and dill to fish) and add to the oven as well. Cook until the protein is done, and the veggies and potatoes should be done at the same time. 400-500 calories depending on how much oil and whether you go for 1 or 2 servings of meat. You will need one of those giant oval plates to fit it all. It's enough food to hurt ;P