Gestational Diabetes

Options
emabooo
emabooo Posts: 15 Member
I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week, but breakfasts are tough for me. I like eggs, but I don't love them and when I search GD breakfast recipes basically all I find is 100 ways to prepare eggs. Any other ladies who had GD with good breakfast ideas?

Replies

• defadonna
    defadonna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hiya I had GD had to inject insulin. Mines has not left totally am now borderline need to loose weight to control it.

However when I was pregnant I found porridge or ready break good. Brown bread. Ski yogurt as it's the best low sugar.

Hope that helps you
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries stirred through natural yoghurt
    Oatmeal with almond milk and a teaspoon of diabetic jam
  • emabooo
    Options
    defadonna wrote: »
    Hiya I had GD had to inject insulin. Mines has not left totally am now borderline need to loose weight to control it.

However when I was pregnant I found porridge or ready break good. Brown bread. Ski yogurt as it's the best low sugar.

Hope that helps you

Sounds good, but what exactly is ski yogurt?
  • emabooo
    Options

Thanks for the ideas...I'm assuming the oatmeal is just a little bit because of the carbs though?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If you do Greek yogurt that is unsweetened you can add a sweetener of your choice (stevia, sugar, splenda, honey, etc). I like it with blueberries, almonds and a little honey. You will have some carbs with this but you can control the amount because you're choosing how much of each thing to put it.

I don't know if you have met with a dietician or were just left to your own devices but you might ask for a referral if you didn't get one. They can help you with planning your day. My friend had it during her pregnancy the the dietician told her to keep it at 30g or less of carbs for each meal so that would put you at about 90g for the day.

And remember, you don't have to have breakfast food for breakfast! Meat is low carb and the breakfast police won't come arrest you so choose what sounds good and fits your macros regardless of what time of day it is.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    emabooo wrote: »

Thanks for the ideas...I'm assuming the oatmeal is just a little bit because of the carbs though?
    Oatmeal is fine as it is a low GI carb. Maybe ask your midwife for a diet sheet or ring her and ask her advice on if it is safe or not to put your mind at rest?

• emabooo
    Options
    If you do Greek yogurt that is unsweetened you can add a sweetener of your choice (stevia, sugar, splenda, honey, etc). I like it with blueberries, almonds and a little honey. You will have some carbs with this but you can control the amount because you're choosing how much of each thing to put it.

I don't know if you have met with a dietician or were just left to your own devices but you might ask for a referral if you didn't get one. They can help you with planning your day. My friend had it during her pregnancy the the dietician told her to keep it at 30g or less of carbs for each meal so that would put you at about 90g for the day.

And remember, you don't have to have breakfast food for breakfast! Meat is low carb and the breakfast police won't come arrest you so choose what sounds good and fits your macros regardless of what time of day it is.

I will be meeting with one on Monday and my midwife gave me some ideas of things to eat and stay away from. I was told 30 carbs for breakfast but what I'm really missing is by bowl of plain Cheerios with pecans and Craisins!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can still have The pecans. Eat them with cottage cheese/ricotta cheese/Greek yogurt.
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I had GD, my go-to breakfast was one slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter spread on it, and a glass of milk with a very small amount of chocolate syrup (just enough to give it a faint chocolate-y taste. My numbers always looked good after that meal. Good luck!
  • emabooo
    Options
    I keep finding that my snacks (or what I really WANT to eat) are very high in carbs/fat/calories, but I actually struggle getting sufficient carbs in my meals. Strange...but thanks for all the suggestions so far!
  • krystlepon
    krystlepon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I have GD. I am about 32 weeks along. I cannot hand carbs in the morning. I do a lot of different kind of eggs with different things scrambled into it. I sometimes attempt 1 carb like 1/2 a whole wheat english muffin or 1/2 a slice of whole wheat bread.. always topped with PB or cream cheese.
  • Pszi
    Pszi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm at 29 week with GD and the papers I got from the dietitian said no fruits or dairy products before noon because even the fruit sugar and the milk sugar (don't know the scientific names) can be too much. The pregnancy hormones are highest in the morning -she explained- in the afternoon it is ok to have fruit and yoghurt. Also some women can tolerate porridge in the morning well, or steel cut oats while others will have high blood sugar from eating them. You will have to experiment with it, and think outside the breakfast foods, have a chicken salad in whole grain tortilla or any veggie and meat wrap, see if you can sneak in a slice of low fat cheese once in a while.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bacon and egg ? Traditional breakfast.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My doctor sent me to a nutritionist that explain how to check my sugar and who also developed a diet planned based on what I liked. It included a chart with different choices and how many calories to consume. I highly recommend this. It takes the guess work out of it. It included 3 meals and 2 snacks.

I had gestational diabetes with two of my three kids. For breakfast I would eat whole wheat toast with low sugar jam and an egg. Since you don't like eggs, try some other protein like canadian bacon. Grits with 1 tsp of butter and a couple slices of bacon. Since you're not a fan of eggs, try making them into an omelet and loading up with your favorite veggies. The whites have little flavor so it's not as prominent. Also remember, just because it's breakfast, it doesn't mean bacon and eggs. You can have a chicken breast with sauteed veggies.

I researched some sites similar. Here are some:

http://www.allinahealth.org/Health-Conditions-and-Treatments/Health-library/Patient-education/Gestational-Diabetes/Healthy-eating-physical-activity-stress-management/Basic-meal-planning/

https://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/fammed/customcf/resources/diabetes/GestationalDiabetes.pdf

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Sample_Diet_for_Gestational_Diabetes

Good luck !
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ladies, correct me if I am off base here, but do you test your sugars with GD? Because I tell you, experience is the best teacher. When I was first diagnosed type 2, my doctor suggested starting my day with an egg (toast, too). I wasn't that big a fan but when I DID start my day with an egg, my blood sugars were rock-solid stable all day! I started to like eggs more after that.

The egg is just a lovely little package of protein, perfectly sized. But any other replacement protein should work as well. Greek Yogurt might be similar.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca Yes you test sugar several times a day.