Walking

A good way to lose weight, correct?

Replies

• emilyalisab
    emilyalisab Posts: 4 Member
    I find it the most enjoyable cardio but at the end of the day it's all about CICO
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Hmm CICO?
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Calories In, Calories Out
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    My only practical form of exercise is walking. Started lifting weights, but after 18 months and 110 lost so far. Walking is good.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Calories In - Calories out. It is said that weight loss is all about creating a calorie deficit. Doesn't matter how you create the deficit (totally by diet, or by combo of diet and exercise), just as long as you burn more calories than you eat.

Now back to the question. Yes, anything that gets your buns off the couch and gets you moving is a good exercise. Many of us got started by walking and then graduated to other things. Walking is low impact but can still be a darn good workout.

What's the story behind the question though?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Calories In, Calories Out.

Cardio gives you a metric for "calories out" but it's woefully incomplete.

I've had a lot of success with a moderate amount of walking (<2 miles per day) at an easy-moderate pace (3mph), and intermittent weight lifting.

Weight lifting has a number of long term benefits and advantages, but that's a separate thread.

Personally, I find the amount of walking I do sufficient to my needs. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Walking did more to improve my overall health. But I lost weight by eating less.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Walking is a good form of cardio that is easy on the joints. I started out by merely adding walking breaks at work and trying to get 10,000 steps per day. After a few months that led me to try C25K (Couch to 5K, a running program for absolute beginners) because getting in enough walking was taking too much time out of my day. That led to me running a few days each week, and eventually running 5K then 10K and then half marathon races. 4 years later, I'm still running. And I still take my twice daily walking breaks at work.
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Hey Laura, I did some jogging awhile back, didnt lose a pound and was hungry after I jogged. But, walking I lost!!!
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    rlaramee2 wrote: »
    Calories In, Calories Out

that is it!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    Walking is a fantastic form if exercise and it helped me lose 20 pounds in two months. CICO is key, but there's two parts to that equation and walking us a great way to increase the Calories Out portion.

If you walk at a good pace it will help you lose weight and improve your heart health. After two months of power walking I was able to complete a 5k, by running, nonstop! I had done NO running prior to that point but the excellent cardio that walking provided allowed me to complete the 5k in 37 minutes. After that race, I did start running on a regular basis.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The only exercise I do is walking. I can burn near 1000 calories walking 10 miles a day