Couch to 5k

Options
Hi everyone! I'm starting couch to 5k today and I was just wondering for anyone that does this, what do you log it as? thanks! :)

Replies

• pluginkm
    pluginkm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am just about to finish week 2 and go into week 3 - very excited! I use mapmyrun app and you can set this up to sync automatically to myfitnesspal :) lots of luck!
  • erind2017
    erind2017 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    pluginkm wrote: »
    Hello! I am just about to finish week 2 and go into week 3 - very excited! I use mapmyrun app and you can set this up to sync automatically to myfitnesspal :) lots of luck!

Does this keep track of calories burned?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I logged the walking at 2.5 and the jogging at 3.5 and just put in the amount of time doing each one in the cardio section here on MFP. The 3.5 is called a brisk walk but I'm a slow jogger with short legs, so it works out about right that way. I'd used those speeds in the past when doing some walking on the treadmill initially. I try not to eat back all of the calories either but the days vary.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I run Strava along side C25K and it syncs with MFP. It calculates calories, and it's really great for stats and comparisons with your own routes and also other member's segments.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, but if you don't have one of those you can use another running app such as Runkeeper. It takes all your measurements and such and calculates your calories burned for the distance/time you ran. I used this alongside my HRM and the calories burned were only about 10-20 calories off, so I'd say it works pretty well.
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start a couch to 5k app on my phone. Going to start on a treadmill until I'm into it more
  • fiveminutes
    fiveminutes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done the C25K program a while ago, and haven't been running consistently, but I wanted to get better at running, so I'm doing the full 16 week C210K then Zen Labs has, and you start out the first 8 weeks of the C25K. I also use a HRM and have Wahoo Fitness running alongside the C210K program. I also wear a Polar loop. I take my calories from the treadmill, Wahoo and the Polar Loop and average the three to get my cals burned for the run. All three are roughly similar to each other
  • kheather72
    kheather72 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K last week. I am using Zen Labs. I haven't been able to get the apps to sync but I think it is because I had two different emails set up. I have changed them to be the same, hopefully it works today. Good luck!
  • erind2017
    erind2017 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses! I will give some of these apps a try :smiley:
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do couch to 5k with my pedometer on my phone. It tells the amount of calories burned. I'm on week 7
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP, I was going to ask this too!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Did it and ran my first 5 k in December; it was fantastic! Log it as running or very brisk walking, depending on where you are in it.
  • emilyncarper789
    emilyncarper789 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use fitbit and it works perfectly for adjusting cals automatically, at least, as far as I can tell
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    FitFunFabulousNicole Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I started just this week, but I use my polar and it syncs it to MFP for me
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    erindent20 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm starting couch to 5k today and I was just wondering for anyone that does this, what do you log it as? thanks! :)

Just log it as running; don't worry about the run-walk-run nature of the program.

• HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3. I use my iPhone steps counter synced with MFP. I'm losing pretty consistently. I also ruck march with 20lbs every week. Getting ready for the GoRuck Light! I'm actually using C25K to help me build endurance for the ruck challenge. I love C25K so far! But I've found its more accurate running outside than in a treadmill. I hate having to adjust the treadmill speed up and down, just wastes time. However if it is rainy or late when I run, I do it at the gym. I am 179 pounds now. I don't worry about the calories of running vs walking, I just let my phone count my run as steps. If I'm burning extra calories without my knowledge, fringe benefit:). Hope this helps!
  • StampingJen
    StampingJen Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Interesting how there are so many ways people have logged c25k. For myself, I have a heart rate monitor and get cals burned from that. I then created my own exercise in MFP called c25k and just plug in the time/cals burned there. In the notes section for my exercise that day I enter in what week/day I'm on and how much time I ran vs walked.

I just finished week 7. I feel good, considering even running down our short driveway was difficult for me. Thing is, at this point the 25 min run should be 2.5 miles and I'm probably around 1.75 at that time. Trying to run faster but that's been difficult. :)