Thunder Thighs :/

Options
I have the most disgusting looking thighs ever! I'm 5'0 and have the biggest legs ever. One thigh is 23.4 inches smh. No amount of cardio helps me... Any exercise suggestions? I am a runner and I exercise on the elliptical as well....

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there is no way to spot reduce. You have to continue losing fat and eventually it will come off your legs.

Also, I'd start a lifting program so that you can retain your lean mass and make sure most of your weight lost is fat. Don't worry, you won't become "bulky" or build muscle. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, or Strong Curves. All great programs.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You have strong thigh muscles. What's wrong with that? Celebrate them, use them. You might find that you have leg muscle stamina others can only dream of. Have you considered cycling?

I've learned my perception of how I look doesn't mean a thing. My eyes still think I look the same as I did before I lost 65 lbs, which is complete rubbish, of course. My eyes still think I have flabby legs and stomach. My mind knows I don't.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Embrace the thighs you'll be happier in the long run plus it's easier to find jeans that balance big thighs against over all.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Thunder thighs are electric!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    my giant quads are named Hercules and Athena.

They can squat mighty weight.

and there for I love them.

But I use them regularly- so they don't bother me- if I wasn't putting them to good use- I'd be heartbroken that I rub holes in my jeans. :(

Nothing you can do but lose body fat across the board- and then make sure you're working them so they are more muscle than fat.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I used to hate my thighs. I have the quintessential pear form; smaller waist and big thighs. So much so, my vision of myself was that of one of those balloon animals clowns blow up: little waist where the balloon twists, and then two explosions of massive legs.

But now? I LOVE my legs. They're still cottage-cheesy and large, but at 53 years old, these gams have taken me down Grand Canyon, hiked me up mountains, helped me mountain bike through the forest, help me walk every day in the woods with my dog, and allow me to squat around 100 pounds and deadlift a little bit more than that. And they're still going strong. They're not the prettiest, and I hesitate to show those upper thighs to anyone, but who cares. They've been very very good to me, and I appreciate them wholeheartedly for still being healthy and basically not giving me too many problems. Go thighs.

Keep going on the food/exercise path that you feel is right for you, and things will turn out. Sometimes you gotta live with big thighs, but you'll learn to love them.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    my giant quads are named Hercules and Athena.

They can squat mighty weight.

and there for I love them.

But I use them regularly- so they don't bother me- if I wasn't putting them to good use- I'd be heartbroken that I rub holes in my jeans. :(

Nothing you can do but lose body fat across the board- and then make sure you're working them so they are more muscle than fat.

This. Although I haven't named them yet. I love my strong thick thighs and keep working to make them stronger and able to move more weight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    alexacb92 wrote: »
    I'm 5'0 and have the biggest legs ever.

No you don't. Not even close.

Every time you hate on your thighs, i'm going to post this:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=zOzsjEmjjHs
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My thighs are 26 inches. Ha! I win!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Big isn't necessarily bad, like if their toned and muscular. I have short legs and I would love for them to be more muscular! Especially my butt! If you saw my butt I bet you'd be thankful for your legs... just sayin' ;)
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my legs. They're still cottage-cheesy and large, but at 53 years old, these gams have taken me down Grand Canyon, hiked me up mountains, helped me mountain bike through the forest, help me walk every day in the woods with my dog, and allow me to squat around 100 pounds and deadlift a little bit more than that. And they're still going strong. They're not the prettiest, and I hesitate to show those upper thighs to anyone, but who cares. They've been very very good to me, and I appreciate them wholeheartedly for still being healthy and basically not giving me too many problems. Go thighs.

I love it! And yep, at 52 (and also a 'pear') I also don't show those upper thighs to anyone, and they have certainly carried me a lot of places. And by taking care of them now I can't wait to see where they'll take me in the coming years.

Go thunder thighs!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about lots of walking. . Wouldn't it help to slim down thighs??
  • Firebolt394
    Firebolt394 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the most disgusting looking thighs ever! I'm 5'0 and have the biggest legs ever. One thigh is 23.4 inches smh.

No, you don't. Mine are 28 inches. I win.

• judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm also part of the thunder thigh's club no matter what I do. At my lowest weight (BMI around 22) I still had them.

I think it's time to embrace them, there is nothing wrong with bigger legs.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have the most disgusting looking thighs ever! I'm 5'0 and have the biggest legs ever. One thigh is 23.4 inches smh.

I concede defeat... For now! *cue dramatic music*
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I'm part of this club too. I've been called Thunder Thighs since I was twelve. Older brothers are the worst! I've learned to love mine, too. It helps being married to a guy that loves them too but it doesn't hinge on what other people think, really. Pants can be a trial and skirts have always looked better on me but they are mine to keep.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Big thighs are sexy, and useful.

I will never be blown over in any strong winds, because I am blessed with thunder thighs.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am the product of two people who are short - one was a football player, a running back to be specific, and I got his thighs. lol I have learned to embrace the strength of my thighs. Like one poster said, you have strong thigh muscles under there so you need to learn to embrace that first and know that you probably will never have thinner thighs.

In the past, I've worked HARD(!) to gain shapely and extremely strong thighs. I'm in the process of rebuilding my entire body (after a baby) and my thighs are where I gain everything and they are the last place I lose. So it takes a concentrated effort to build muscle definition.

I log my food, and watch calorie intake and all that. Like you, I'm a runner. I also do cardio and hit the weight room. I've made the biggest difference in developing muscle definition by doing all of that in addition to these exercises:
    **REMEMBER YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE**
    Plie squats
    Leg extensions
    Bulgarian single leg lunges
    Box step ups
    Squats, squats, and more squats.
    Hamstring curls
    Glute kick backs

The idea here is that you will not get thinner thighs but you can build muscle definition with the amazing amount of muscle you were given. Also, strong leg muscles make for an amazing distance/endurance runner. I'm by no means fast (thanks muscle) but I can outrun just about anyone. lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I concede defeat... For now! *cue dramatic music*
    damnit- I don't know where my tap measure is now... are we talking fullest part of the top- or quads? I need to know- life's a competition and I lost sleep last night knowing I didn't get a chance to participate in this!!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    This thread is useless without pictures.

But seriously, OP, I am in love with my 24 inch thighs. I am 5'3 and they don't even look big to me.