A public acknowledgment and thanks for people who helped me succeed at this malarkey

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    funny story …when I first signed into MFP I never ventured into the forums or I would lurk and then I started posting a little and this was still in my dumb days of six small meals or starvation mode, sugar is bad, bla bla ..so I remember posting that someone should eat six small meals a day because starvation mode and I got reemed out so bad lol …

but instead of getting all butthurt it made me start doing my own research and I found out that most of the stuff that I thought was true was bunch of pseudo/bro science….

I lurked as well...immediately found ETP progress group...read, researched and relearned all the crap I thought I knew...

I just shake my head now and smile when I hear the BS irl...then set them straight...so yes folks I do it irl too...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I kinda feel like I want to send FRs to everyone included in this thread. Y'all be awesome in book!

I think a good chunk are already on mine..

but you all are free to add me….

no you add them... :p
    Just make sure they arent mods. Apparently, being friends with mods is terrible.

Also, one of the most inspirational stories and a person i admire is @CyberEd312

that is a bunch of BS on the being friends with mods thing….

DB is just DB …

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    funny story …when I first signed into MFP I never ventured into the forums or I would lurk and then I started posting a little and this was still in my dumb days of six small meals or starvation mode, sugar is bad, bla bla ..so I remember posting that someone should eat six small meals a day because starvation mode and I got reemed out so bad lol …

but instead of getting all butthurt it made me start doing my own research and I found out that most of the stuff that I thought was true was bunch of pseudo/bro science….

I lurked for a while, one day I thought I would share my 1980s understanding of weight loss and I was corrected promptly and after that I started listening more, researching this is what lead to my success
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I kinda feel like I want to send FRs to everyone included in this thread. Y'all be awesome in book!

Just make sure they arent mods. Apparently, being friends with mods is terrible.

Also, one of the most inspirational stories and a person i admire is @CyberEd312

OMG! no one told me! SNORT!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Totally did the same thing. for the longest time I would only post in the chit chat section because I was too afraid to venture out. I even cringe looking at my old threads I've posted. But from the blunt honesty of veterans of the forum I learned so much. For that, I'll always be grateful.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

When did you start? When I got here in 2011 starvation mode was ingrained in the forum's culture to the extent that there not being a starvation mode is now. There was even that sticky-- 700 calories per day and not losing.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Then I am a terrible person...won't be kicking any of my friends out...and I agree CyberEd312 is such an inspiration and has an amazing story that it's hard not to feel the warm and fuzzies.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Yeah, I remember JoRocka whooped my *kitten* for repeating something stupid a bodybuilder friend once told me. And instead of running with my tail between my legs, I started learning. And the result was a "hardgaining ectomorph" gaining 25 lbs in 2 and a half months. Didn't quite learn properly though, as that was mostly jiggle pounds. So, now I am learning the right way to cut, with the intention of doing another, more educated, bulk in the future. Without the "mean" people, I for sure would still have no idea what I am doing, trying to get knowledge from Mens Health magazine.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Also, and I already said look in my FL, but I remember bombarding JoRocka, Sezxystef, Phoenix_down and psulemon with constant questions.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Heck, I STILL have questions (or course I can't think of them now, lol). But I read the forums all the time on many different subjects in case it contains information regarding things I don't understand. And usually I come out better for it.
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Options

When did you start? When I got here in 2011 starvation mode was ingrained in the forum's culture to the extent that there not being a starvation mode is now. There was even that sticky-- 700 calories per day and not losing.

ummm I have been around for about three years now ..so it must have been 2012 …

I lost weight without MFP …just doing the six meals a day thing, sugar is bad , etc etc…a friend of mine told me about it as a way to track calories and what not and that is how i got on here…it was around the time I started getting more into lifting heavy too...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Heck, I STILL have questions (or course I can't think of them now, lol). But I read the forums all the time on many different subjects in case it contains information regarding things I don't understand. And usually I come out better for it.

ditto here...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

And not to exclude the guys: @trogalicious that beard is magnificent and so is your gif...
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

And not to exclude the guys: @trogalicious that beard is magnificent and so is your gif...
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif
    WNYEj9G.gif

CLASSIC! Love!
  • ndj1979
    Options

B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif
    WNYEj9G.gif

bahahahaha right on queue !
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I lost weight without MFP …just doing the six meals a day thing, sugar is bad , etc etc…a friend of mine told me about it as a way to track calories and what not and that is how i got on here…it was around the time I started getting more into lifting heavy too...

I think it was already starting to change-- I remember some pretty contentious threads about it back then. A lot on MFP has changed for the worse but the information in the forums has most definitely improved.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Um, way late to the game, but I agree that most everyone (including those banned or deactivated) named has been a huge help to me.

I also lurked forever and quickly learned who provided harsh but true words. I much prefer bluntness to the hand holding while people sit back and watch me spin my wheels. And if I ever need a good laugh, I just go read the first few threads I posted (remarkably easy now that there's a "my threads" section).

Also a shout out to @tameko2, who avoids the forums like the plague, but without her, I never would have picked up a barbell.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I think it was already starting to change-- I remember some pretty contentious threads about it back then. A lot on MFP has changed for the worse but the information in the forums has most definitely improved.

Agreed. I remember when i first started in 2011 and the quality of information has improved greatly. It took me getting a stern "you wont get bulky" "start lifting" thread from Sidesteel. At that time i was still being referred to up my cardio, lower my cals, and try something rigorous like the 30-day shred....
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Agreed. I remember when i first started in 2011 and the quality of information has improved greatly. It took me getting a stern "you wont get bulky" "start lifting" thread from Sidesteel. At that time i was still being referred to up my cardio, lower my cals, and try something rigorous like the 30-day shred....

Yes it was ETP group that made me want to start lifting...I had forgotten all about it and wasn't lifting heavy before...2 years later still at it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I remember another one I don't think I've seen mentioned. @Aaron_K123

It was his "why aspartame isn't scary" thread that really opened my eyes to how valued actual science is on this site as opposed to media fear-mongering headlines
This discussion has been closed.