• jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Heat index is 100 today. I'm gonna have to run at 4am and at 7pm to get mileage.

Do you run in the heat? How hots too hot for you?

I usually run around 5:30 am. This weekend I ran at 9:00 and it was in the 80s, but I've run when it's 100 already. I find if I'm not running in the sun the whole time I'm okay. Like Sunday I ran at the Greenway because about 80% of it is in the shade for the most part depending on what side of the path you are on and you can sit in a creek if it gets too hot. :smile:

@7lenny7 let me know as you use it more what you think. I'm loving mine.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks @JoRocka , @Stoshew71 & @skippygirlsmom

I may try to acclimate slowly. There's some shade. But not much of a breeze on hot days, today is 0 wind speed.

Anyone else have advice please let me know. I do not sweat like a normal person. I just get hot, little sweating. Last run, even when i walked to cool off my HR stayed elevated, ~ 174. I may look for a cooling aid, like the absorbant neck bandana. I have a treadmill. It's just boring ya know.

And I'm really diggin' my sock/watch tan lines :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how much water are you drinking?

I don't sweat a tremendous amount- but I know I sweat more when I'm well hydrated. Trade off- the having to stop and pee aspect LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    I'm the type that sweats some when I run, but afterwards it will pour off me, then I freeze. LOL Definitely need to drink lots more this time of year. My first 5K race was in Texas Labor Day weekend, it was 102 and 98% humidity at the time of the race, no shade at all. When I was looping back to the start I had to run about a mile straight on one road and I could see the heat waves coming up off the street. I thought for sure I was going to die. At mile 2 there was a kid with little sponges in a bucket of ice water...best aid station ever!!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @JoRocka @skippygirlsmom I probably could be drinking more. I pee prob 20 times a day though. I have coffee in the morning, maybe a lemonade at lunch, rest is water.

I'll take water and and electrolyte pack with me on a run. I'm wet and freeze after a run too. I must sweat a decent amount, guess it evaporates quickly.

On hot runs, all I think about is the pool and why misters aren't along my trail? That'd be awesome. Bucket and sponges would be so nice!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 1.23 mi (slow jog)
    6/8 - 2.12 mi (run/walk)
    6/9 - 1.76 mi (Rest day/walk)

MTD - 5.11
    MTG - 19.89
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 1.23 mi (slow jog)
    6/8 - 2.12 mi (run/walk)
    6/9 - 1.76 mi (Rest day/walk)

MTD - 5.11
    MTG - 19.89
  • Harpin_Maddog
    Harpin_Maddog Posts: 52 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • MsMolitor
    MsMolitor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hope I get this right as I've never posted before....and I can easily mess things up!
    That ticker thing was to confusing for me, I have no idea how many miles I can run in a month.
    I will choose 30 for June since I will be on the road most of the month and have no idea what a positive goal would be.
    Do I just post my miles right back here? Ty
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - that must have been really frustrating, to be on track for a great time and then have the race cancelled. I can understand that the organisers don't want anyone to get hurt, but that doen't make it any less disappointing when things were going so well. Best of luck with your 5k next weekend!
    shanaber wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 - That is terrible about your race! Was there at least lightening after they cancelled? You will get that sub-60 and sub-30!!
    @autumnblade75 - That really sucks to hear about the cancelled event. That has been my big concern at the Spring events so far this year with all this crazy weather. I mean, it can rain all over me and even hail (easy to think that until it hails of course). I just want the race to go on! It must have been pretty bad weather, I imagine.

Not just a great time, but my BEST TIME EVER, and now I can't prove it. :( The 5k should help, a lot. I hope I run as well for that as I was doing for this one. Even if I don't, though - the race I chose is the Waffle 5k Shuffle. Everyone who crosses the finish line gets a waffle.

I don't recall seeing any more flashes after the race was cancelled. The hair gel was melting out of my Mohawk, and running into my eyes, and I may have missed it. I still got my post-race beer, and the friend I went with isn't a drinker, so I traded her my pizza ticket for her beer ticket. Soggy pizza isn't something I'll eat. Slightly watered beer isn't such a big deal, to me.

The really funny thing is that I wasn't even worried about the weather. I think the rain helped, actually. It was a little cooler than it might have otherwise been, and I didn't feel all sticky like I usually do when I'm covered in sweat, instead of nature's shower. Very disappointed to have it called short.

I've totally got this 5k.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    MsMolitor wrote: »
    I hope I get this right as I've never posted before....and I can easily mess things up!
    That ticker thing was to confusing for me, I have no idea how many miles I can run in a month.
    I will choose 30 for June since I will be on the road most of the month and have no idea what a positive goal would be.
    Do I just post my miles right back here? Ty

Hi @msmolitor Don't worry about the ticker if you can't figure it out, but Stan's directions on the first page are pretty spot on if you open the site and look at it. 30 is a great goal for June - any mileage is a positive goal!!

Yes you can post your mileage here as you run it.

Welcome!

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Heat index is 100 today. I'm gonna have to run at 4am and at 7pm to get mileage.

Do you run in the heat? How hots too hot for you?

I live in the tropics, near Hong Kong. Right now I'm running in almost 30C temps with over 80% humidity. And that's at 4:30/5 in the morning. :sweat: It will be like this until at least October. :scream:

I started running at the wrong time of year. But I'll appreciate the cooler weather when it comes. :lol:

That being said, I ran an easy 3.1 K this morning for a total of 26.66/70km for the month. I should go above and over my goal for the month, but I prefer to do that than not reach my stretch.

• Elise4270
    Options
    @annekka (little math, uh 30C is 9/5+32 uh 86F.) Ya that's a warm run!.. That humidity has to be stifiling.

I made 3.2 miles in 93° (34C), the humidity was only 36%. Wasn't bad, I talked myself out of going for 5-6. That'd be a stroke guaranteed.

6/1 rest
    6/2 -2.25 hot sore miles, Reformer Pilate's
    6/3- rest
    6/4- doc visit. Resting SIJ
    6/5- 4.60
    6/6- rest
    6/7- 3.74 hot,medicine trots :O
    6/8- rest,stretch
    6/9- 3.20 will try to get in a cooler evening run too.

13.77/60+
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Stuck doing too much traveling the past few days to get in all of my planned runs, but on the upside, the extra rest had me blazing thorough my miles today.

6/2 - 5 miles
    6/3 - 4.5 miles
    6/4 - 5 miles
    6/6 - 0.5 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 4.5 miles

Total: 29.5 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 110.5 miles
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @annekka (little math, uh 30C is 9/5+32 uh 86F.) Ya that's a warm run!.. That humidity has to be stifiling.

I made 3.2 miles in 93° (34C), the humidity was only 36%. Wasn't bad, I talked myself out of going for 5-6. That'd be a stroke guaranteed.

You get used to it after awhile. Congrats on your run.

• SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Doing pretty poorly because of an injury, but staying at it.

When I was still in Australia, it was 35-40°C (95-105F) all day, even in the morning, so I had to run in the heat. So bad. Much better here in Toronto where it's like less than 25 all the time.

exercise.png
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've missed posting with you guys. I went to a sports medicine doctor since my leg was not getting better and after an MRI I found out today that I have a stress fracture. I think he said in my right tibia. I'm frustrated because I do a good amount of strength training and am conservative with mileage in hopes of preventing an injury but no such luck. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with you guys sometime in July. :)
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    6/3 - 3 miles
    6/5 - 3 miles
    6/6 - .75 mi.
    6/7 - 2.55 mi
    6/8 - .5 mi

9.75 done 20.25 to go

Question for the more experiencedifficult people. I have a 5k on Saturday and I have been feeling a little tired. I was going to do an easy mile and a half tomorrow but my plan calls for a 3 mile run. I have 2 days off to recover and rest. What should I do? Or go with option 3 and plan on 3 miles and if I feel to tired stop after a mile and a half? I want to do well, but I am afraid of being lazy and not following what I had planned.
  • torituma4
    torituma4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    newbie to the group. hello everyone. mileage update for this month 44/100 miles

last nite i ran about 2 mile uphill when i felt some tightness near upper inner thigh on both legs. never had this before. do anyone know what this is? help. i hope i didnt do anything bad