Relapsed

Options
its happened I can't believe it for 3 months I have been logging and walking and working out. I have had success. I am still 30 lbs from goal weight and this week all I can do is eat! I spent months obsessing over not eating and right now all I want to do is shovel everything fatty and sweet into my mouth. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions why this has happened and how do I make myself stop!!!!!

Replies

• ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If it is only one day, then just move on. Tomorrow is another opportunity to follow your clean diet. Hopefully you have not been eating less than you should. I don't see your diary. Fat is important, give your body enough to feel satiated.
  • DonnaRhodes2015
    DonnaRhodes2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's only one day. Progress not perfection. Drink enough water. Have your chosen snacks ready n up front in refrigerator. Make a split second choice to pick it up before going off deep end. It works for me!
  • FullofTrixie
    FullofTrixie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not a day more like a week or 2 of out of control eating. Every day I wake up with a plan but it just never seems to work
  • FullofTrixie
    Options
    Not a day more like a week or 2 of out of control eating. Every day I wake up with a plan but it just never seems to work

• holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too, especially because I'm at the end and the weight loss is soooo slow. If you're really struggling, try eating at maintenance for a week instead. Still log everything so you don't sabotage yourself, just loosen the reigns a little and then go back to eating at your deficit after the week.

You can also just adjust your weight loss to be less strict. Weight loss isn't a race. If you're set to 2 lbs or 1 lbs a week, try setting it to .5 lbs instead and give yourself a little more leeway.

Hang in there!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    "this week all I can do is eat!" - it's only Tuesday. If you overate Monday, and part of the day today (or even all of today), there's no reason to think the whole week is screwed unless you keep telling yourself this. You could decide that you had 1 or 2 off days and you're right back on track with your next meal.

Also, I employed a little trick last week: last Monday I went WAY over budget. 700+ calories over goal! I kept thinking how I screwed my whole week because I was already planning on eating a little more over the weekend for a special event. Then I realized that I weigh myself on Saturday mornings, so I decided my "week" isn't even Monday-Sunday. For weighing purposes, it's Saturday-Friday. So factored in the 700 surplus into the previous week and found I had plenty of cushion there, and guess what? I still lost weight Saturday morning! Then I decided to go ahead and overeat a little over the weekend for the special occassion, but now I have all the weekdays to compensate (just need to eat 100 calories less than goal M-F, which is no problem on weekdays).

Be kind to yourself. Don't dwell too much on it and set yourself for "this is a bad week" mentality.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way since I took a long-ish vacation involving too much travel. It left me in a sugar-indulgence tailspin for a week (hopefully it's over now but I'm still cautious) Was there something that triggered the slip? Something upcoming that you're dreading? Maybe you're not getting good sleep, or someone made you feel bad, or you got a little sick or....?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    How aggressively have you been trying to lose weight? if you've been setting your goals to drop 2 lbs/week you might just be losing too fast and suddenly the lack of calories is catching up with you (and body is saying "feed me!") - at least that's what happened for me in the past. Set calories low, worked out hard and a few weeks later I can't stop bingeing. If you set your calories at a moderate loss you might find that happening less. I'm also more prone to eating everything I see at certain times of the month and if I'm getting sick. And yes, the more you're able to plan some healthy fats and sweet treats into your daily calories, the less you'll want to go off the deep end and eat them like crazy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it and get back on.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me on previous attempts to lose weight, when I did not know much and had no clue about BMR. I was severely undereating - eating way less than my BMR - for a good while. At the end, I got tired of being always hungry and pissed of that I quit.

How much are you eating? What's your BMR?
  • healthnut050
    healthnut050 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It happens, but the most important thing is to take it one meal at a time. Each meal is your chance to get back on track. Don't look at it as a blown day if you have one bad meal, get back inn track with the next one. You can do this.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I've done this and ended up gaining back every single pound. I can tell you, it's not worth it. Reduce your deficit, or eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks if that's what you need to do, but try to get it under control. Log everything.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Here is what I posted on another thread:

• Educate yourself on BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate and find out what is your number. BMR is the bare minimum your body needs to function. BMR is the energy needed for your heart, brain, kidneys, liver, digestion, breathing, sweating, hair growth, nail growth, etc. etc. If you were to lie down without any movement for 24 hours – your body will burn BMR.

• Select your daily calories plan that is ABOVE your BMR and DO NOT eat less than your BMR (at least not by a lot and not consistently)!!!!

• Starvation mode. I’m not sure if the starvation mode is a myth or not but I do know (it happened to me) what happens when you under eat (constantly eat less than your BMR). Our bodies are masters of adaptation. When you supply less than BMR calories to your body, at first, it will tap into the energy reserves – the stored fat. That’s why when you start dieting the pounds fly off in numbers and easy. But, if the shortage of calories is prolonged (more than a couple of weeks), your body will realize that and say “oops, looks like my supply of energy has changed, I must adapt!” and it will ADAPT. Your body will adapt to get by on what it has and it will cut energy to whatever it can – it will slow down hormone production, slow down your liver functions, slow down your kidney functions, etc., AND it WILL SLOW DOWN YOUR METABOLISM! Eventually, any weight loss will become almost impossible. For example, if you only give your body 800 calories per day – your body will bend backwards BUT it will make it work – it will reconfigure itself to run on only 800 calories per day! So, the minute you eat just a tad more – your body will say “hey, some more energy, I better store it”! That is why all who severely restrict themselves to unhealthy (below BMR) calorie allotment immediately gain weight as soon as they try to increase daily calories to their maintenance level. How to avoid this? DO NOT EAT LESS THAN YOUR BMR!

Eating above your BMR will have less significant impact on the crucial functions but larger impact on all others, such as fat storage.

LINK TO THE POST HERE
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Okay, not the end of the world. Even if you ate uncontrollably for a month, you can still fix it. If you've been super strict in the past, that may be why you sort of lost it. You need moderation. Enjoy the treats now and then, build them into your allowances. I agree with jaga13's post <3
  • fitter_happier94
    fitter_happier94 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How big has your deficit been prior to this week or two of overeating? Maybe you need to adjust your goal so that your deficit is a bit smaller. This has happened to me and I found that a week or two of a higher calorie intake (or even maintaining) did the trick. If you're having intense cravings then maybe you have some deficiencies so try to ensure you're eating a broad range of healthy foods (assuming that that isn't what you're doing already) or try a multivitamin. Is it maybe "that time of the month" or something hormonal? Don't get down on yourself about it, it happens to the best of us and that kind of negativity is self-defeating. Drink lots of water to help shift the bloating, get lots of rest, and don't try to eat significantly less to "compensate" (never seems to work). Even if you've eaten 3500 calories more than maintenance this week, that's only a pound so don't feel like you've ruined anything. Chin up, wishing you luck :blush:
  • FullofTrixie
    Options
    I am set to lose 2 lb a week but that actually is not a reality because set at 1.5 pounds it gives me the same amount of calories. 1200. I am 5'8" 164 I have lost 40+ pounds rather quickly. Since March. I think you all may be right and I should eat more then I will binge less. In theory it sounds good. I also need to get back to walking I just really said to heck with it. To many parties and occasions.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    its happened I can't believe it for 3 months I have been logging and walking and working out. I have had success. I am still 30 lbs from goal weight and this week all I can do is eat! I spent months obsessing over not eating and right now all I want to do is shovel everything fatty and sweet into my mouth. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions why this has happened and how do I make myself stop!!!!!

Hoping this was an accidental choice of bad word combination...but we're not talking caloric restriction to the point of not eating, right?
  • FullofTrixie
    Options

Hoping this was an accidental choice of bad word combination...but we're not talking caloric restriction to the point of not eating, right?

I am an all of nothing type person but I guess that sounds terrible. Obsessive. but yes I do eat
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    for 3 months I have been logging and walking and working out. I have had success. I am still 30 lbs from goal weight and this week all I can do is eat!
    all I want to do is shovel everything fatty and sweet into my mouth. Any suggestions why this has happened
    One explanation may lie here:
    I spent months obsessing over not eating
    and how do I make myself stop!!!!!
    One solution may be to eat properly?
  • FullofTrixie
    Options
    And that is why I am here. If I ate properly all my life I would not need to lose weight. I get tips here and there from people I am taking some advise from above and making sure I eat more I do see people on here eat at 1200 but I guess everyone is different. I do not want to gain back all I lost so I would rather lose a little each week than binge and gain. I need to figure my BMR is that what I should be eating? Or do I eat under that? I will have to look that up I always mix up all those terms.